Hey
So Im a beginner. My guitar kinda sucks so im getting it repaired right now. While I have no guitar Im trying to do a little research on guitar stuff. It seems really complicated with terms like octaves, scales, etc. I just dont know where to begin with it all. What should I learn first?
Quote by SlashLP
Hey
So Im a beginner. My guitar kinda sucks so im getting it repaired right now. While I have no guitar Im trying to do a little research on guitar stuff. It seems really complicated with terms like octaves, scales, etc. I just dont know where to begin with it all. What should I learn first?

start with Chords basic (major, minors) the move to Barre chords

practice chord changing (from one to the other) and making sure they ring right and your not mutting unnessery notes

also practice the chromatic scale for finger speed

hope that helps

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Just learn some basic theory
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
yeah the most important thing is to get as many major and minor chords down as long with your speed and then work into the harder things like scales octaves pentatonic etc.

also what kind of guitar do you have and what are you getting done to it?

Guitar : Fender american standard strat, Gibson voodoo sg, Ibenez
Amp : Peavey bandit 112
its a jay turser 300
its not broken in a sense
it just needs to get set up correctly
Also I was wondering something
What are octaves?
Im really confused about them.
I know what scales and chords are but just not octaves.
Can anyone explain to me what they are?
First off dude... what you need to learn is how to play guitar, not all that crap about majors, minors, modes, blah, blah, blah... I don't know a major chord from a minor chord, what key songs are in, how to read one note of music, but I can play guitar, and many many famous songs, quite well...

Oh, and octaves are different like, IDK frequencies of sound... The guitar has two, or if it has 24 frets, three for just one note. IF you play an open note on the guitar, then play it on the twelfth fret, it's the same note, just abit higher frequency basically... So you can play a solo in the second pentatonic scale, then on the fourteenth, and it's the same thing... just a bit higher. (Srry for sounding like a hypocrite with me knowing this... but my rhytm guitarist is adament about this crap, and sometimes it pisses me off.)
Quote by wannaberocker19
First off dude... what you need to learn is how to play guitar, not all that crap about majors, minors, modes, blah, blah, blah... I don't know a major chord from a minor chord, what key songs are in, how to read one note of music, but I can play guitar, and many many famous songs, quite well...

Oh, and octaves are different like, IDK frequencies of sound... The guitar has two, or if it has 24 frets, three for just one note. IF you play an open note on the guitar, then play it on the twelfth fret, it's the same note, just abit higher frequency basically... So you can play a solo in the second pentatonic scale, then on the fourteenth, and it's the same thing... just a bit higher. (Srry for sounding like a hypocrite with me knowing this... but my rhytm guitarist is adament about this crap, and sometimes it pisses me off.)

Well actually, as you have 2 e-strings, one 2 octaves lower than the other, you have 4 or 5 octaves, depending on the number of frets you have
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

thanks for trying guys but i still have no idea what octaves are
its way to hard to understand for me
If you learned the the location of the 12 notes on the fretboard octaves would make sense. go to Justin Sandercoe's guitar lesson site and read up
You really should be banned just to prevent anybody else from being subjected to your advice.
Quote by wannaberocker19

Learning theory is going to help him play guitar, because the fretboard becomes more familiar and he knows what to do. You, on the other hand, for all the "many many famous songs" you can play, would be completely fucked if there ever came a situation in which you needed to improvise. No matter how good of a guitarist you may be, I can guarantee you you're not a good musician, and that's an area that one can never be proficient enough in.
Quote by wannaberocker19

Stop attempting to sound like you know anything, please. You're embarrassing yourself. The guitar has either 5 octaves or slightly less depending on your fretboard. An octave is the interval between one note and another that lies at either half of or double its frequency. It's not "like, IDK..." anything; it's really very simple. And you should know that no matter where you play the pentatonic scale, it's the same scale, not the "second" or "fourteenth" pentatonic scale.

Don't worry, you don't sound hypocritical because you don't know it. You need to get a clue before you post.

Oh, and welcome to the thread. Do a bit better next post.
Last edited by :-D at Jun 22, 2008,
:-D
wow
u helped me so much
im still a little confused but thats my own issue
that other dude was confusing me even more
so thanks for clearing it up
Glad to help; if you're still confused I'll be happy to address your other questions. Just don't listen to anybody who says that learning theory and playing guitar are unrelated.
Thanks Man
And I just went to a website with visuals and I think I GET IT!!!
YAY!
lol
but its still complicated
cool
i got a another question
lol
each note on the 6th string goes up two frets then up two strings
correct?
but that doesnt seem to be the pattern throughout the diagram
Quote by SlashLP
cool
i got a another question
lol
each note on the 6th string goes up two frets then up two strings
correct?
but that doesnt seem to be the pattern throughout the diagram

You're talking about octaves right?
Jeez dude, did take your frickin' Midol this morning? Holy crap, sorry for saying something to somebody, with all the bigshots skulking around, waiting to pounce. There's people like you where i live that say you can't know how to do anything musically without knowing musical theory, and I prove them wrong all the time. As for improvising, I do that more than I play the actual songs... when you play 4-6 or 8 or 12 hours a day for two years religiously, you begin to understand the guitar better than some words in a book could ever teach you. Hendrix didn't know **** about musical theory, and in Eddie Van Halen's own words,

" in my opinion, you can't learn to play rock and roll by taking lessons. Although a teacher can show you certain things, such as songs and licks, you still have to sit down and learn how things feel by listening. ...getting that feeling is just about the most important aspect of playing guitar."

THATS what I was talking about, use you own feelings, your soul, your passion to learn how to play the guitar. And since, "No matter how good of a guitarist you may be, I can guarantee you you're not a good musician, and that's an area that one can never be proficient enough in." I'll have you know I also play piano, bass, banjo, mandolin, harmonica, and am planning to take up both cello and violin.

So ban me dude, as I'm sure you would if you could... That's why it's called an opinion you closed minded arsehole... And SlashLP, srry I didn't help you, but some people just don't have it... You might, but they'll bury with all their fancy lingo and worries about if what they're doing is by the book...

Peace
You PM'd me this same message, but I'll respond here in greater detail.
Quote by wannaberocker19
Jeez dude, did take your frickin' Midol this morning? Holy crap, sorry for saying something to somebody, with all the bigshots skulking around, waiting to pounce. There's people like you where i live that say you can't know how to do anything musically without knowing musical theory, and I prove them wrong all the time. As for improvising, I do that more than I play the actual songs... when you play 4-6 or 8 or 12 hours a day for two years religiously, you begin to understand the guitar better than some words in a book could ever teach you. Hendrix didn't know **** about musical theory

Hendrix did know some amount of music theory, he's just used as an example by lazy people such as yourself who don't want to learn theory. You're wrong. I also don't care how well you understand the guitar; if I threw a jazz chart in front of you, you'd be lost. Again, you may be a good guitarist, but not a good musician.
Quote by wannaberocker19
I'll have you know I also play piano, bass, banjo, mandolin, harmonica, and am planning to take up both cello and violin.

You play that many instruments and don't know theory? Then you're just lazy; keep in mind that there's a difference between playing instruments and being a versatile musician. Same point as before.
Quote by wannaberocker19
So ban me dude, as I'm sure you would if you could... That's why it's called an opinion you closed minded arsehole... And SlashLP, srry I didn't help you, but some people just don't have it... You might, but they'll bury with all their fancy lingo and worries about if what they're doing is by the book...

"Octave" is not fancy lingo, first of all. It's an opinion, yes, but most will tell you it's a severely misguided one. What "don't I have", if you would care to indulge me? I'm not burying you with lingo or following a book, it's just that (unlike you) I give a fuck about being both a musician and a guitarist.
Quote by SlashLP
Hey

If you are interested in learning theory I would recommend this excellent lesson from right here on UG.

Learning Music Theory: The Beginning

I started off only learning to play my favorite songs from downloaded guitar tab and sure that can be fun in the beginning but I wanted to be a guitar musician not a guitar mimic.

There seems like a lot to learn. Almost overwhelming but once you get started and begin to notice the patterns and relationships you'll realize it's not that complicated.
Last edited by JoeUser at Jun 24, 2008,
The Crusade articles by Josh Urban are also excellent.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns

For the time being though I think it's bust through a few open chords whilst trying to learn the notes on the fretboard. The best way to appraoch theory I feel is to learn it on an "as and when" basis...each time you learn something new make sure you take the time to understand what;s going on musically.

Too much theory knowledge that you can't apply is arguably just as counter-productive as not having enough.
Quote by wannaberocker19

Kind of reminds me of this that was going round work a while back....you could almost substitute "What if people bought cars the way they bought guitars"

Ironic really, because you're being far more closed minded than the people you're accusing...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SlashLP
its a jay turser 300
its not broken in a sense
it just needs to get set up correctly

Heh... I started out on that same guitar.

http://justinguitar.com/en/TB-000-TheBasics.php

This site has some beginner stuff with music theory you might find helpful. Depends on how much you already know or not.