I need some major help on this one guys! My A string the problem. I put on new strings yesterday and when my A string is tuned and everything, the first fret is reading as a B on my tuner. Now, that isn't right, it should an A# should it not? I could tell something was wrong when I was playing plush by stone temple pilots on my bass. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix it? I'm in dire need of help! I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Are you sure it isn't reading Bb?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm sure, trust me, it even sounds off when I'm playing something. In reality, on the tuner it is reading a little closer to B#.
Quote by gm jack
Are you sure it isn't reading Bb?

This or your A string is actually an A# string.
You most probably have the tuner set incorrectly, so you are using it to tune too sharp.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The nut might be a little too high above the first fret. Or the string is stretching when you push down on the first fret.
i played a B# once
PRS Custom 24
PRS Singlecut Trem
Epiphone ES-355
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone Firebird
Fender Stratocaster
Quote by Ki'
The nut might be a little too high above the first fret. Or the string is stretching when you push down on the first fret.

However, that would not put it out a semitone. It would take some massive, and I mean massive intonation problems to have it that much out.

Most likely, he is messing up.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
You have probably messed around with the callibration, but it into Bb tuning or something equally daft. Make sure it is set to C tuning, with A at 440Hz.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by smb
Are you sure the string isn't touching the second fret when you fret the first?

Yeah I'm sure but there is a possibility that my tuner is somehow tuning to sharp and I have no idea how to make it go back to normal. The 1st fret on the A string is showing up B#, the 2nd fret C#, and the 3rd fret C but the green # on the bottom row is lighting up when I hit the thrid fret. I don't really know what that means though.
You're just tuned slightly sharp. The # light on the top is just when you're slightly sharp, and the # light on the bottom is when you're playing a # note like c#. So your A string is reading slightly sharp on all notes, but the right notes.
If that is true, then how come there isn't a light for when you are completely flat?

MAJOR EDIT: AHA!!! I've found out why I was having problems!!! The bottom sharp light was when I was playing a completely sharp note (smb you were right, thanks for all the help!!) And the top lights were telling I was playing a little sharp or flat on the sharp note, so I had to tune all the way down until my A was not lighting up the completely sharp symbol! If that didn't make sense, it's okay because my problem is solved!
Last edited by ccmetz2020 at Jun 21, 2008,
hey.. how about instead of using the tuner... tune your A string to the 5th fret of the E string.. simple ?
Quote by grnday1236
heh... hehe... haha...ha... hahahahahha

rofl
Please don't bump old threads like this - particularly not just to laugh.