New Question: How do you wire input jacks that have the ground? the ones that close the circuit when the plug is disconnected? What would I attach the ground to in a passive pedal. It will have an aluminum case, will that work? It won't be connected to any real ground

Old:
Okay so I need to build a junction box for my pedalboard. Well the truth is I need to build a better junction box for my pedalboard. I built one out of radio shack parts and its awful. The jacks are rubbish and the enclosure didn't provide any sort of shielding, important when the box sits on a riser above my power supplies/power strip.

Okay so this is really 3 separate questions

1. Where can I buy parts? I know of sources like Newark and Mouser but I can't stand those sites. I would rate my electronics knowledge at novice. I can build stuff but I don't know technical details of most things. So when theres 20 different input jacks on those sites with no more information other than a data sheet, I get confused. Closed/open circuit, panel mount/board mount, plastic/metal (isolated/non-isolated?). It's all a mystery to me. Someone help me! Either someone could explain it or even less involved, I'm going to describe what I am building and just tell me which ones to get! I am so willing to pay extra to buy from a site that has pictures of the parts so I can't screw this up. I especially need pics when it comes to my #2 question, project boxes.

2. Project boxes/shielding. This pretty much goes in with the first one a bit because the parts sources have no pics of the project boxes. How can I ensure my enclosure is shielded (note above that I stated that this will sit above a power strip/power supplies). With a metal box would that shield it? After I built my Radio Shack version, it hummed like a bugger. So I searched on here and quickly shielded it with aluminum foil. Worked in a pinch but now its shifted or doing something and not working. Do the closed circuit / isolated jacks help? I'm using standard hook up wire... will this cause an issue?

3. Jacks - Because of my application I'm tempted to go with the enclosed jacks and not open ones to cut out the open plugs on the inside of the box... is this the best way?

Basically this box is simple. Project box, just 5 ins on one side and 5 outs on the other. This is to allow me to hook my cables to my pedalboard in all one spot instead of routing all the cables to their proper (some inaccessable) locations. I have Guitar in, out to amp input, amp FX loop send and return, amp footswitch.

I know this is a long post, but I really appreciate any help. Thanks!
Samick SPG650FF SBS Electric
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
Last edited by Guitarman19853 at Jun 24, 2008,
pedalpartsplus.com
smallbearelec.com

where i get most of my stuff
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I found those sites, but they dont have project boxes around the 6x4x2 size...
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
anyone? whats the deal with the closed circuit jacks? also, do I need a ground on the box? where would i connect it, the chassis?
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
Well this was kindof urgent because I needed to order this so I could get the parts and build it in time for 2 big gigs next weekend and since noone chimed in with help on the jacks, i went in blind again and ordered

12 Switchcraft N112AX Phone Jacks 2C ENCLOSED 1/4
1 Hammond 1590P1BK Diecast Aluminum Enclosures BK 6.01X3.24X1.81

I hope the aluminum enclosure will cut out the RF interference.

Those jacks better be worth it at $3.50 each

Edit: I've posted other questions on here and had the same response: none. For one of the most active guitar forums on the net, it certainly isn't making a good impression on me.
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
Last edited by Guitarman19853 at Jun 22, 2008,
Shame no one could help you mate. I think you made the right choices but I don't know much about this kind of thing.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
bump with

New Question: How do you wire input jacks that have the ground? the ones that close the circuit when the plug is disconnected? What would I attach the ground to in a passive pedal. It will have an aluminum case, will that work? It won't be connected to any real ground
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=1700&Category_Code=ENC17
that seems pretty close to what you need...

samee size as a metal muff. the big one with top boost i believe
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
already ordered a case and parts, now I'm looking for someone to help me out with the wiring. see edited OP
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
well to answer your question about grounding the enclosure, if its an aluminum enclosure you just have to figure out a way to connect a ground wire to the casing since you can't solder to it. Aluminum doesn't take solder very well.

For my fuzz pedal i just built, to ground the enclosure, I soldered one end of a wire to a ground connecting, and the other I wedged inbetween the enclosure and a pot. So when I tightened the pot down it was held firmly in place.
meh might be ghetto rigged but it worked for me quite well
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
You don't have to ground anything by attaching it to the case. Grounding means connecting all ground points in the circuit together. The case isn't a part of the circuit so it really doesn't matter as long as all the grounds are connected together. I'm too tired to think right now, if you want me to make you a full schematic of what you want I can probably do it. Shoot me a PM with what you're looking for and I'll try to get on it tomorrow. G'nite.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster