yeah so I've been practicing for about 6 months so far and have begun to notice myself doing that really quick hand slide movement up the neck of the guitar and then down again. it's like something thats done after i've finished playing a section of a song or a riff and am about to start something new. i was just wondering: why the hell do guitarists do this? is it something to do with rhythm or from keeping unwanted notes from ringing out?
i do it too its funny because i just started doing it without thinking about it i guess its mainly because it stops unwanted noises and it sounds cool.
Quote by PotBellyShogun
yeah so I've been practicing for about 6 months so far and have begun to notice myself doing that really quick hand slide movement up the neck of the guitar and then down again. it's like something thats done after i've finished playing a section of a song or a riff and am about to start something new. i was just wondering: why the hell do guitarists do this? is it something to do with rhythm or from keeping unwanted notes from ringing out?

Some people encorporate the noise from doing so into their riffs, like Buckethead does sometimes for solos.

I'm sure there's another reason, but I have no idea.
Gear:
Fender P-Bass
BC Rich Trace Warbeast
Amps and pedals that make me go BAWWWW.

Need:
Lessons on music theory
A job
I've seen guitarists do this all the time...like they get way too excited and jack off the fretboard...

i've never done that in my life though
When you're really feeling the groove, you don't gotta jive it. If you don't wanna jive it just show the old mahogany some love and it'll groove like you wouldn't believe.
All your base are belong to us.
I do it...and I have no idea why. As far as I can tell it serves no useful purpose whatsoever, it's just some kind of nervous tick or something.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, I do it too. No idea why. It just started to happen one day without me realising it.
I do it sometimes....I really like to slide out of a song or do a slide when changing riffs.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah, I do it! No idea why, and I don't even notice myself doing it! Although, if you play metal or rock, it can sometimes sound pretty cool...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I usually vibrato it, even if its a chord. Sliding down sounds like i'm "taking something back" because I made a mistake or something.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by steven seagull
I do it...and I have no idea why. As far as I can tell it serves no useful purpose whatsoever, it's just some kind of nervous tick or something.

Sounds cool.
yea i do that too. like if im really into a solo i might slide a lot up to or down to notes and stuff like that. i think its just like hitting open strings before you hit a note or scraping strings before a bend. it just kinda adds to the whole solo making it more interesting i guess.
Quote by Freepower
Sounds cool.

This.

/thread
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I do it too! Though I tend to do it when i'm playing in front of people or really into the song I'm playing.

Sometimes I even repeat the last chord of a song after a little ring then do the quick hand thing, it just sounds awesome!!

but I have no idea why i do the quick hand thing, its just a spur the moment type thing for me like bending chords sometimes during songs or strumming muted notes harder than normal notes to make them louder