This is giving me quite a bother. I'm trying to play that part in the Tornado of Souls solo, you know, that damn 10-17 stretch there.

how do people do these stretches so comfortably?? in order to do it i have to change my hand position so its incredibly awkward. I have long fingers too, i just can't stretch them with a normal hand position.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6jBJUUogVyU at 35seconds you see how his hand is nice and straight like normal?? but when i stretch i have to angle my hand and its uncomfortable.

how do you get comfortable doing these types of stretches and how can i improve this??
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Keep your thumb on the back of the neck when soloing with big stretches.
just try to make your tiny finger equal to the others, but that way it's no longer tiny
rather than having your thumb high up on the neck of the guitar, lower it a bit. i could do stretches bigger than that,but because i just fooled around trying to see how far i could stretch.
just look up some stretching exercises, make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck, and practicepracticepractice. i don't know the context of that stretch, but i can do it fairly easily, so it's definitely possible.
thanks for quick replies guys. just a quick question about the thumb position. so it should be on the back of the neck, but should it be somewhere in the middle of the stretch or more towards the index finger?? i usually play with it behind my second finger. is that okay?
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Stretching is a technique just like any other. You don't expect yourself to pick like Buckethead without practicing, do you? Your hands are just not acustomed to this new technique. Start with smaller stretches, such as 17-24. Look at how you play it, and correct anything that you see youself doing wrong. Make sure you hand is nice and relaxed and even with the neck. I find it more comfortable to have my thumb in the middle of the neck, pointing backwards towards the headstock. But, that's just what I find comfortable.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by GerGuam
Keep your thumb on the back of the neck when soloing with big stretches.

this doesn't just aply to the stretches only you know, more like at all times instead of trying to wrap your thumb around it.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Connah
This is giving me quite a bother. I'm trying to play that part in the Tornado of Souls solo, you know, that damn 10-17 stretch there.

how do people do these stretches so comfortably?? in order to do it i have to change my hand position so its incredibly awkward. I have long fingers too, i just can't stretch them with a normal hand position.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6jBJUUogVyU at 35seconds you see how his hand is nice and straight like normal?? but when i stretch i have to angle my hand and its uncomfortable.

how do you get comfortable doing these types of stretches and how can i improve this??

R u playing it sitting down? If so, try playing 10-17 standing up with the guitar low swung looking cool! Lol! The only way to sort that is to put your foot up on the monitor / amp / sofa or whatever.

I know you haven't written this song but...

Satch always said "never write a song sitting down, cos you might not be able to play it standing up".
All these people have given great advice but consider a few things, this is chris broderik, he played 14 hours a day as a kid, and now all he does is pratice and work out, and the thumb on back of neck is ESSENTIAL! , but for finger streches look up "psycho exercises"-petrucci, and i gained a lot of stretch by playin DEAth's "spirit crusher" bass line on the guitar and the end of pantera's "floods", pratice is more fun when you can find your exersises incorperated within songs
Quote by FretboardToAsh
this doesn't just aply to the stretches only you know, more like at all times instead of trying to wrap your thumb around it.

It's hard for me to do nice bends with my thumb on the back of the neck
I have small hands and it's near impossible for me to stretch between the 10th and 17th frets even with my thumb pointed upward on the back of the neck or flush with the back of the neck near the binding on the treble side of the fingerboard. If you still can't pull it off, you might try using your thumb to fret the note...Dave Mustaine style.
Quote by skinnyb82
I have small hands and it's near impossible for me to stretch between the 10th and 17th frets even with my thumb pointed upward on the back of the neck or flush with the back of the neck near the binding on the treble side of the fingerboard. If you still can't pull it off, you might try using your thumb to fret the note...Dave Mustaine style.

You just need to practice more; watch some videos of Shawn Lane stretching and he had tiny hands too.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You just need to practice more; watch some videos of Shawn Lane stretching and he had tiny hands too.

Yeah- my aunt is actually a pretty frightening jazz player and she is a tiny person (and plays a huge f-hole guitar ). I think she is about 5 feet tall, and her hands match. OTOH, I doubt she could pull off from the 17th to the 10th fret on a strat-style neck. I have big hands- I'm not the only person I know who can play an A at the 5th fret on the low E while playing an E at the 12th fret on the high E, but I haven't met a lot of people who can pull off to the D at the 10th fret while holding the low A.

Unfortunately I can't do that anymore- I smashed my LH a bit a few years ago and some of that mobility is probably not coming back. The thing is, it doesn't really matter, from a musical point of view- that was a neat party trick, but it isn't that important to how I play. So OP, keep working on the stretches (but _never_ use outside force to stretch the fingers), but you can play perfectly nice stuff without being able to perform that pull-off. Musicality is almost always more important than technique.