Page 1 of 2
I've been playing bass and acoustic guitar for a while and now I'm looking to purchase an electric guitar. I'm definately interested in a Les Paul sound. I'm a little tight on money so I can't really afford a real Gibson. What guitar would you recommend for an $800 price range?
i have an epiphone les paul standard and iv played a gibson les paul, there isnt too much diffrence in sound i dont think. sum ppl may disagree though.
a lot might hav to do with the amp u use
Esp Ltd Ec400?
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Epiphone Custom or Elitist.
Maybe an LTD EC4/500 (the ones with SDs, not EMGs)
Even an Epiphone Standard.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Epiphone definately, considering its made by gibson...
Whether I am a hungry rabbit or a frightened carrot, my home is the same.
Quote by drag_the_waters
Gibson (used)? If you want to look used i'm sure you can find something.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-Gibson-Les-Paul-Guitar-EXCELLENT-Hard-Case-Lp_W0QQitemZ190231058494QQihZ009QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
There's one for 850 if you can afford it.

Gotta love the mold all over the carpet. That is so ****ing disgusting...
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
not sure how close it is to a real gibson...but vintage v100s have amazing tone for their price range, but you might be able to get something better if you have that kind of money...i'd look into playing one at a local music place for sure though ;]
epiphone les paul

EDIT: actually, use Les Paul Standard. or if thats too gard to get for 800, used new Gibson Les Paul Studio.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i have an ic400 with emgs, and ive played side by side with an epi les paul through the same amp at a store with the same settings and everything. everyone agreed the iceman sounded better and it was alot cheaper
Quote by SovietSpartan

That wasn't the point. But nice catch, I wasn't even looking at the carpet.
Quote by donwuzhere69
i have an ic400 with emgs, and ive played side by side with an epi les paul through the same amp at a store with the same settings and everything. everyone agreed the iceman sounded better and it was alot cheaper

But does an IC400 with EMGs sound more like a Gibson LP than an Epi LP does?
I doubt it.

As for the Gibson Studios, avoid them if you can. They are really hit or miss. Mostly miss.

A used Gibson Standard is by far the best option for getting an actual Gibson.
An Epi Elitist is a better choice than a Gib Studio.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by apak
epiphone les paul

EDIT: actually, use Les Paul Standard. or if thats too gard to get for 800, used new Gibson Les Paul Studio.

ahh that's true as well, the studios run cheap.
Quote by Flamingrhythm
ahh that's true as well, the studios run cheap.

Eh, I don't really like the Studios. Not sure why.

I'd go with a really nice Epiphone or something similar.
Anything of the basic Les Paul design of decent quality, with passive humbuckers is going to get you 'that' sound, really. There's so many Les Paul copies and derivatives to chose from, I wouldn't even know where to start pointing you. I'm not American, but as far as I know, $800 amounts to just over £400. £400 gets you a perfectly good Les Paul knock-off if you shop wisely, where I come from. I dare say that the same guitar is cheaper for you than for me, due to the unbelievable amount of duty we have to pay on everything. Look into getting a higher-end Epiphone of course (the most obvious route), look into PRS single cut range, Ibanez' Artcore range has some LP-ish guitars, the Yamaha AES, while disgusting to look at (in my opinion), is a blinding guitar for the price. The higher end Yamahas are probably as good as my Gibson.
Michael Kelly Patriots are a much better choice than your average Epiphone.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
MIJ copies?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get an Epiphone Les Paul
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
I have an epiphone les paul custom and the quality of the pickups is pretty poor
I would either go with the epiphone elitist series or even better, a PRS Singlecut SE or tremonti SE.
the build quality and sound quality of PRS is much higher than epiphone, even on the SE series, the quality is outstanding.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by guitargod21136
Esp Ltd Ec400?

doesn't sound like a les paul.
Quote by SovietSpartan

That's not mold, it where the fabric of the carpet has been rubbed against itself

And to contribute, I concur on a used LP if that's what you really want, I'm not a huge Epiphone fan myself.
Funny words.
Any good Les Paul copy with mahogany body and neck will sound like a Gibson, with a pickup swap of course...
When you buy Gibson you buy the feeling and build quality.

I would recommend the following branches that make LP copies: Edwards (Japanese ESP), Agile, Hagstrom, Vintage, Epiphone (not below the Custom series...)...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

ibanez lawsuit les paul
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by hminh87
When you buy Gibson you buy the feeling and build quality.

That's bollocks. I bought a Limited Edition Gibson Les Paul which cost nearly £2,000 (so around $4,000 if you're American). The frets were dressed really poorly, and I had to get a luthier to install a new nut, as Gibson had cut the one on it so badly. I had to spend an extra £200 to get a professional luthier to make it right. I'd never buy another Gibson.
OMG that ebay gibson is sooooooo loverly it is teh sex, im gonna have to consider buying that. What a guitar and in good condition aswell
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by Martin Scott
That's bollocks. I bought a Limited Edition Gibson Les Paul which cost nearly £2,000 (so around $4,000 if you're American). The frets were dressed really poorly, and I had to get a luthier to install a new nut, as Gibson had cut the one on it so badly. I had to spend an extra £200 to get a professional luthier to make it right. I'd never buy another Gibson.

at the risk of sounding churlish (i'm not trying to be), why'd you buy the first one? or did those problems only surface later after purchase?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Surfaced later. Also, it was Limited Edition, and very much more expensive than the normal Standards, and even some Customs. I didn't foresee there being any quality issues. I did buy it from a shop (not the internet), and played it for a bit. But I was so blindly in love with it. The shop was really crowded and loud, and I couldn't really hear myself that well, so I didn't play it for long. You should actually be able to buy a Gibson in confidence for the prices they cost, though. Especially my one! Not even my cheap Epiphone had those problems!
save up a little more and get an Epi Elitist

thing fits in between the Gibson LP Standard and the Gibson LP Supreme

One person on here has said it so far. Agile makes quality copies of les pauls and they sound great even with the pickups that come in them. Under your budget too.
Quote by Martin Scott
Surfaced later. Also, it was Limited Edition, and very much more expensive than the normal Standards, and even some Customs. I didn't foresee there being any quality issues. I did buy it from a shop (not the internet), and played it for a bit. But I was so blindly in love with it. The shop was really crowded and loud, and I couldn't really hear myself that well, so I didn't play it for long. You should actually be able to buy a Gibson in confidence for the prices they cost, though. Especially my one! Not even my cheap Epiphone had those problems!

no worries, sorry to doubt you. I agree, at the prices Gibson go for in the UK, they should be perfect.

Quote by DannnUK
Edwards do great copys, Roughly £400-500.

probably more like £500-£650 now since the pound has been doing badly recently...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like most people before me have said, get an Epiphone Elitist.

Or if you want to save even MORE money, an Epiphone Prophecy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Page 1 of 2