Could you make a song work if both instruments were playing in two different keys?

Say you have bass playing in one key and guitar in another

I know that you can have songs change keys that are still relative, would this work if you played two relative keys at once?

two more questions

if so, can I get some examples of it, preferably youtube

and

do i need to put this in the musician talk thread
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by TDKshorty
Could you make a song work if both instruments were playing in two different keys?

Say you have bass playing in one key and guitar in another

I know that you can have songs change keys that are still relative, would this work if you played two relative keys at once?

two more questions

if so, can I get some examples of it, preferably youtube

and

do i need to put this in the musician talk thread

The pit is for everything non-guitar related.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Musician talk would probably be good.

If you played two relative keys at once it could work, it just depends on the relationship of the two notes played together. If the bass and guitar play notes a diminished fifth apart every time, the song will end up sounding like crap. Otherwise, it could harmonize quite nicely. You just want to avoid some intervals.
If the other key happens to be a perfect fourth or fifth, it would be easier to harmonize.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Or you could make the other key a tritone from the first... I'm sure it will sound great.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
If the other key being used was still a major triad it would sound fine. I'm now wondering whether the different notes of a chord could work, like Amaj (A C E) so for the keys you could use A and C or something...
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by firebreath07
Or you could make the other key a tritone from the first... I'm sure it will sound great.

A tritone? Is this sarcasm?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
U2 did it in some song of theirs. i do know it's in the joshua tree album.

Really? I never knew that. Do you know which one?

Anyway, for my music class I once had to write a song in two different keys at once, both different types of pentatonic. It sounded pretty awful and there really wasn't anything I could do about it. I didn't really like that course anyway.
The composer (Charles?) Ives did this a lot. It certainly wouldn't sound "good" in the ears of someone used to tonal music, but it's certainly been done.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
You'd be workin' yo' modes then if I remember my mode talk correctly.

I believe by playing the B major scale while playing an E major song, you'd be playing in lydian.

But I haven't worked around modes in a while so that might be a bit wrong.
Quote by andyd93
If the other key being used was still a major triad it would sound fine. I'm now wondering whether the different notes of a chord could work, like Amaj (A C E) so for the keys you could use A and C or something...

wrong ... Amaj has a #C I think you mean A minor
You can make any song work, but it might sound like shit.

I don't know enough about theory to be certain, but I don't think it would sound too good.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I don't know much about theory...a key being a group of notes relative to each other?