OK here's the deal. I'm making a 5 piece laminate neck. 2 pieces of wenge (roughly 20/21mm thick), 2 pieces of curly maple (8mm thick) and a piece of purple heart (16mm thick). The curly maple is soft and i'm just wondering if the purpleheart and wenge will keep it from going crazy on me... i'm just worried that i'll do all of this and it'll get screwed up. i can get some birdseye maple to use instead but i love the way the curly maple looks.

what do you guys think?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I'm guessing your using the purple heart for the inside laminate. If you use the wenge for the two outside laminates then it should be fine for the maple.
^ yes exactly. check out my king v build in my sig

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
^ yes exactly. check out my king v build in my sig

It should be fine then. Wenge is a very hard wood, and purple heart can also be quite a hard wood. Curly maple as laminates should be fine as there are quite alot of necks made entirely out of curly maple.
Hows it all cut?

With a 5 peice laminate your probably going to be fine, wenge is a beast of a wood.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
it's all flat sawn to 2" wide then flipped 90 degrees so the grain runs in a quarter sawn pattern wenge and purple are both really hard so i figured i'd be ok for the most part... just worried