Page 1 of 2
My band has been getting more well known with the group class at our high school, and this girl my bass player knows is having a huge 16th birthday party. He wants to play the party, because he really likes her, but my drummer and I don't like her at all, because she treats me like **** everytime i'm around her. I try to say hi to her and she just shoots me an evil look. She already has a boyfriend, and my bass player is the only one who wants to play her party. If money was involved, should we change our minds. Good looking girls will be there, but they will most likely be bitches like the girl who wants us to play. Question is, should we play the party of the person that only one of the band member's like? Because, the drummer and I would not have a good time if we were there.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
you should play the gig for it being a gig.

+1, it doesn't matter if you think you'll have fun or not, you need to put yourself out there and get new fans.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl

+1
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
what kind of stuff do you play
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
yea, because the people we would be playing in front of, half of them are people who dont know us or have heard of us
Just play, stick around for a bit, and then bolt.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by rocknskate4
what kind of stuff do you play

Originals, Whites Stripes, Black Keys, Sublime. We have been working on some new covers to get down.
drink all the beer before and after you play plan and simple
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
yeh, id do it, and just pull a GG Allin and poo everywhere.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by MetalMusicianAl

Truth.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Get your drummer to play different songs with you so your bass player looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.

our bass player never knows the songs anyway.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']This.
It's win-win situation. Free beer is always great.

I'm not a drinker
Quote by messiah01
I'm not a drinker

Damn it all! My logic has been defeated.
Ha.

Well, you should still do it. If those chicks are bitches, they might lighten up.
And you gotta do it if you get paid for this.
Just don't do what my singer/guitarist way back when did in a similar situation...which was to say "alright, let's get the f*ck out of dodge" and walking off when we weren't being received well. Had to smooth that over with a few offended people. It wasn't what he said really, but how he said it and how he walked off.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']Damn it all! My logic has been defeated.
Ha.

Well, you should still do it. If those chicks are bitches, they might lighten up.
And you gotta do it if you get paid for this.

If we are making money, i'll definitely do it, but my bass player said if I do it for money i'm a sell out.
Play the gig. Generally, you should play every gig offered to you unless the gig's circumstances are utterly terrible. It'll be a good way to get your band in the spotlight, and im sure you'll meet at least one girl there that you like
Quote by messiah01
If we are making money, i'll definitely do it, but my bass player said if I do it for money i'm a sell out.

What? What?
He wants you to follow him to get some ass that is off the display shelf?

Getting paid doesn't make you a sell-out automatically. Creating and marketing music only for commericial intent is selling out.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']What? What?
He wants you to follow him to get some ass that is off the display shelf?

Getting paid doesn't make you a sell-out automatically. Creating and marketing music only for commericial intent is selling out.

true.

i also think, that you should play this gig, possible throw in some songs that may offend the bitch.
it'd be funny...
play some really heavy crazy **** that no one knows about

go crazy and knock stuff over
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
I.... Cum Blood?

Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's ****?

Play the gig. You said half these people don't know who you are, play for them and if they like what they hear than they will come back for more.
Quote by Sound Mind
+1, it doesn't matter if you think you'll have fun or not, you need to put yourself out there and get new fans.

If you don't have fun then that tends to get picked up by the audience and reflects badly on you.
I've played loads of gigs for promoters, agents and landlords that I couldn't stand and not only was I playing the gig for them, but I was making a lot of money for them too.
Who the gig is for has nothing to do with anything, (within reason, I wouldn't play a gig for a KKK meeting for instance)
A gig's a gig, it's simply business, but there's one thing worth thinking about. If her party is a success because of your band, she's gonna owe you big time, and next time she gives you an evil look you can call her a selfish, stuck up, child and tell her to grow up.
Besides, chicks dig musicians. If the first time any of her friends meet you you're playin a gig for them, that's going to affect their initial first impressions of you.
How long d'yer think she's gonna carry on treating you like dirt if all her friends like you.

Play the gig, you know it makes sense.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 22, 2008,
Maybe they'll suddenly like you once you've been nice enough to play for them, and turn out to be pleasent people.

Can't tell you how many times someone I thought was really stuck up or mean ended up just being unsure how to approach me or get to know me.
a gig is a gig.

any time on stage is better than not being on stage.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Play the gig! Not enough people listen to their bass players anyway lol :P. Plus any time on stage is good.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by messiah01

Remind him that he only wants to do it to get with a bitch that has a boyfriend

Your reason has way more merit to it
Quote by messiah01

Money or not play the gig. Selling out is changing who you are for personal advancement. Changing your music so that more people like you or changing who you are for more money is selling out. Playing a gig for cash is just considered getting paid.

EDIT: Don't play music solely for the attention of girls.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Last edited by scream_it at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by messiah01
our bass player never knows the songs anyway.

Haha, sounds like my drummer, every week at practice we finish discussing the song structure we're about to play

Me: "ok, so we all know how it goes?"

Drummer: (laughing) "I haven't got a ****in clue what's goin on"

He always plays well though in the end.
Refuse to play until money comes into the picture. Even if you want to play it, wait out until money is offered.
Quote by Unrulyguitarist
Agreed. Play the gig, bang a chick and then leave.

He speaks the truth...
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Page 1 of 2