what's the best way to get it? without turning up my amp (and potentially shattering some windows)
With what your running it'll be decently hard too unless you got some upgrades. However, pick up either a decent distortion/over drive/boost pedal and that should help with the sustain. Also, the name slips me right now, but there is a object that you put on the head off your guitar to increase sustain. It's like $15 bucks. It's basically a weight and slips on like a capo kind of.
Quote by Martin Scott
What type of guitar do you have? The king of sustain is the Les Paul design, and it's derivatives. Of which Santana is a player (his PRS is basically a double cut LP with a trem). So it might be your guitar. You might also need to get a smaller amp.

Dude its only 15 watts... Buts its loud as...well...you get the idea.

Right now I hve to play through my dad's Ibanez AEL50SERV because it is the only guitar that has a output jack. But my ultimate goal is to get a Gretsch 5120. Its not a PRS or a Gibson Les Paul but it looks sweet, plays great, and has a whammy.
Turn your amp to 10 with a TS-808 clone.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I still think the EHX Soul Preacher might be helpful if you can't turn your amp up. Or maybe a TS as a boostlike cowdude said.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Turn your amp to 10 with a TS-808 clone.

+1

There's no getting away from the need for sheer volume for that kind of sustain.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i got an mxr 132 compressor and my sustaian lasts twice aslong with the compressor turned on, this is at fairly low volume aswell
i thought he used a big muff, but probably with a cranked amp as well. i think you probably also need the amp cranked anyway so it sort of feeds back to give endless sustain.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Buy a Dumble. Seriously, Carlos Santana has godly amps that give him sustain. His old Mesa and then the Dumble when he got it are the source of the sound.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by lemon_lime123
Dude its only 15 watts... Buts its loud as...well...you get the idea.

Right now I hve to play through my dad's Ibanez AEL50SERV because it is the only guitar that has a output jack. But my ultimate goal is to get a Gretsch 5120. Its not a PRS or a Gibson Les Paul but it looks sweet, plays great, and has a whammy.

Lower end Gretschs aren't great, so make sure you try it out first. Don't get yourself sold on the brand name. Although that said, a Gretsch Duo Jet is basically a Les Paul with a Bigsby, so look into them, or the budget version or whatever.

Also, it doesn't have a whammy, it has a vibrato system. Totally different.
Quote by The_Godfather
Lower end Gretschs aren't great, so make sure you try it out first. Don't get yourself sold on the brand name. Although that said, a Gretsch Duo Jet is basically a Les Paul with a Bigsby, so look into them, or the budget version or whatever.

Also, it doesn't have a whammy, it has a vibrato system. Totally different.

yup, i'll explain the differences:

a whammy is used for extreme pitch bending like divebombs. A Vibrato tailpiece such as the bigsby does subtle bends in the pitch (think of it as like a chorus effect without the dry signal). While technically they are the same mechanism, the bigsby wasn't designed to do anything more than subtle, so it WILL go out of tune if you push it too far. The fender strat has a vibrato, but it got called the "synchronised tremolo" because leo fender got the 2 terms mixed up (hence how the vibrato channel on the twin reverb actually produces a tremolo effect, which is a fluctuation in volume, not pitch, whereas the dynamic vibrato found on the mustang, is a vibrato tailpiece).

EDIT: another thing i've thought of, if you could somehow find a Boss DF-2 (not DS-2), that would help. If not... i think behringer make a clone... but i don't know if its actually any good.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 22, 2008,