I'm kicking around the idea of building my own SG. I have doubles of all my '68 hardware and think it would be cool to have another. I'd rather just get a junk Gibson SG and put my hardware on because chances are I'll have to modify it anyway. I don't know where to begin though... I don't want a bolt-on. I am wondering who makes set neck bodies, and thinking either that or making a neck thru. Any ideas? Thanks.
BTW the idea came from this guitar:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Neck-Thru-Body-SG-Style-Guitar-Project-90-Complete_W0QQitemZ120275062296QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by PhoenixFear
I'm kicking around the idea of building my own SG. I have doubles of all my '68 hardware and think it would be cool to have another. I'd rather just get a junk Gibson SG and put my hardware on because chances are I'll have to modify it anyway. I don't know where to begin though... I don't want a bolt-on. I am wondering who makes set neck bodies, and thinking either that or making a neck thru. Any ideas? Thanks.
BTW the idea came from this guitar:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Neck-Thru-Body-SG-Style-Guitar-Project-90-Complete_W0QQitemZ120275062296QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

well Gibson makes set neck body's and i am sure epiphone does also if thats what you mean by a junk Gibson
but yeah building your own is the best way to get the sound and feel of an instrument in the way that fits you best.
i would definably recommend it if thats what you are thinking about doing i would just be careful with the hardware because idk if you have ever built a guitar before but there is a lot of welding and things like that that take place and if you do need to mod the body then you will need tools and things for that as well it can be tricky if not done properly and you always ahve the chance of messing up your hardware if not careful
welding? i haven't seen much welding...soldering maybe for electronics? no, i'd say hardware is the easiest part..just make good measurements on the body /neck/headstock you build and it should be a piece of cake..I think woodworking would be more complicated.

TS, some prefer set, some prefer neck-thru. some say neck through gives more sustain, etc. I'd say, do what you think you can do, what is best for you, i say go for it!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
That's why I would rather have gone with a junk Gibson SG or even an Epi or ESP style of SG, I wouldn't have to worry about all the stuff coming out good, but for some reason Ebay doesn't have hardly any junk ones. Heck, a Gibson faded body is going for about as much as I could get the whole faded guitar for. I don't know of any other sites, anyone know of any besides Craigslist and Ebay?
Anyway, making a nice neck thru or set neck would be good. I have all the hardware to make a second guitar, although I'm lacking in the woodworking tools. All I have is a Dremel. So either I gotta get the right tools or have someone do it. Again, having a set neck might be better.
As far as the custom options go, there are many, although I highly doubt I could get any without completely custom doing it. I'd like the shaved frets like my SG has, ebony fretboard, perhaps a thin neck like my SG has. I'm pretty laid back on the wood type, sure I'd like mahogany but if I'm going all-out some zebra wood would be cool.
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
welding? i haven't seen much welding...soldering maybe for electronics? no, i'd say hardware is the easiest part..just make good measurements on the body /neck/headstock you build and it should be a piece of cake..I think woodworking would be more complicated.

TS, some prefer set, some prefer neck-thru. some say neck through gives more sustain, etc. I'd say, do what you think you can do, what is best for you, i say go for it!

well i meant soldering but its a type of welding so yeah
buy an Epiphone SG faded. its cheaper than the SG-400, and it also has a set neck. oh, and the Epiphone SG's are really nice (except for the special...ugh *shudders*)

edit: and they are all mahogany.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
The only problem I see is the fact that I don't want a good looking guitar if I'm gonna modify one. I'm still kicking around the whole making my own just so that I can put all my hardware on it just the way I want, but I still can't get over wanting a vintage trashed guitar to put my vintage hardware on.
Anybody know of any sites other than ebay and Craigslist where I could find a project? Thanks.
Why not build one and then relic it if you want the used vibe.
Just call me Mr Sambo.....

Check out my profile for my covers!