Page 1 of 2
I just found out recently that the Kinks are so good...

I have heard that name but never payed any attention to them until now

My favorite songs are probably: Lola, Sunny Afternoon, Waterloo Sunset, Picture Book, and Mr. Churchill said.
if you like the 60s fuzz rock sound listen to "all day and all of the night" and "you really got me"
they were so good back in the day.
psychedelic.
Quote by jgodin3333
if you like the 60s fuzz rock sound listen to "all day and all of the night" and "you really got me"

Those 2 are good songs also.
Quote by jgodin3333

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of either of those songs.

That being said though, I do enjoy The Kinks quite a bit. My favorite album (at the moment, anyways) is Low Budget.
Very underrated band, in my opinion. The Davies' brothers are truly unheralded classic rock stars. The Village Green Preservation Society is my favorite album and Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire is not far behind. Look behind the hits to find the truly classic Kinks records.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
'Set me free' has always been my favourite alongside 'Lola', but really they wrote a ton of fantastic tracks that make for perfect listening any time of the year. One of the best bands there has been.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Very underrated band. They were the first band I really got into and I love them to pieces. Ray Davies is one of the most underrated songwriters ever. I guess the fact that they're so overlooked is because they were banned in the US for quite a while. My favorite songs right now are celluloid heroes, do it again, mr. pleasant, superman, and rock n' roll fantasy. There's a really great live DVD of them on Amazon.
Quote by master
Very underrated band. They were the first band I really got into and I love them to pieces. Ray Davies is one of the most underrated songwriters ever. I guess the fact that they're so overlooked is because they were banned in the US for quite a while. My favorite songs right now are celluloid heroes, do it again, mr. pleasant, superman, and rock n' roll fantasy. There's a really great live DVD of them on Amazon.

why were they banned? That freakin' explains why nobody knows them....
god damn....
Ray Davies is up there with the best in terms of songwriting. The Kinks are a great band.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I believe they were banned from performing in the US rather than actually banned from the country in the '60s.

Flying across America on a TWA, flying to California
To appear on television, performing our new record Set me free
The Kinks were met by a union man with a contract to sign
And The Kinks didn't like signing contracts
"Hey, are you The Kinks? Sign this piece of paper guys!
I want you to sign this union-document so you can appear on television"
"No thanks mate, we don't wanna sign a contract"
"You have to sign, otherwise you cannot appear"
"We don't want to sign a piece of paper, alright!"
"Listen kid, you sign the piece of paper.
You with your red hunting jackets and your yellow frilly shirts.
Sign the piece of paper!"
"Do you wanna sign it?" He looked over at Dave
"Watcha gonna do kid?" "**** off!"
Which is a fairly reasonable thing to say in the circumstances,
But not very wise, you see, the man was a union executive
"Alright. Once I file my report on you guys
You're never gonna work in America again.
You're gonna find out just how powerful it is in America!"
The land of ice-cream and apple pie, guns and the Wild West

Lyrics from 'Americana'

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
their albums were released in the usa though right?

They just couldn't do live shows?
yeah, so it was hard for them to get exposure. I'd say if they had gotten the attention they deserved back then they would be regarded as one of the best British bands along with the Beatles and Stones today.
Quote by RounderIII
their albums were released in the usa though right?

They just couldn't do live shows?

I would have thought so but without being allowed to perform they probably didn't get strong promotion.

RateYourMusic
*Subscribes to thread*

I love the Kinks. Low Budget is my favorite song. Their sound is so raw and yet so sweet at the same time.
Quote by red157
Your wrong.

Opinions are subjective, except that one.

Yeah, I would agree... (J/k, I respect your opinion so dont flame me)

What is the reason you dont like the kinks raphaelnikolai?
Last edited by RounderIII at Jun 23, 2008,
The Kinks are awesome, such good songs.

I saw Ray Davies live last year, he played loads of Kinks songs and some of his own. He was REALLY energetic though, for a guy in his 60's, pretty funny too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The kinks are so Good and respected. Fun to listen to them theyre music is so chilled out.
I love The Kinks. I went through an obsessive Kinks faze a while back where I bought most of their cds and listened to them non stop for months. They are a truly amazing and unique band. Compared to the other notable bands of the 60's Uk rock scene they were pretty consistant with the quality of their albums, but it's such a shame every single one never gets any of its much deserved credit.
Love them love them love them. I never understood why they weren't as big as The Beatles. I mean, every song is just as catchy and IMO the lyrics in Kinks' songs are a lot better. I guess it could be to do with them never really making it big in the USA, something that The Beatles managed to do extraordinarily well. I've been listening to "Do You Remember Walter?" "Sunny Afternoon," "Waterloo Sunset" and "Wonderboy," and I gotta tell ya, this band is just great. Really catchy and happy. Love the Kinks.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
we can all thank juno for bringing tons of new kinks fans since "a well respected man" was on the soundtrack.
"Shangri-La" and "Victoria" are heavenly
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by DayTripper1967
we can all thank juno for bringing tons of new kinks fans since "a well respected man" was on the soundtrack.

I just found out that was the kinks like a week ago. I was just listening to some songs on youtube, "Well Respected Man" came up and my first thought was... "Isn't this from juno?"

I loved the song my first time watching Juno. It was very catchy...
I was going to attempt tabbing "I'm not like everybody else" solo....
but then I realized it was crazy fast for me tabbing it....
Its a good solo though. Theres 3 solo breaks throughout the song. the last one is killer....

should I continue to tab it? will it be worth it?
Last edited by RounderIII at Jul 12, 2008,
The Kinks are brilliant. Ray Davies came to town a couple days ago, I'm kicking myself for not going to see him...
You guys think there's a chance of them ever reuniting? I know Ray and Dave had a huge fight a long time ago. And I think Dave had a stroke or heart attack a few years back as well so his health might be questionable. I hope they do.
Quote by master
You guys think there's a chance of them ever reuniting? I know Ray and Dave had a huge fight a long time ago. And I think Dave had a stroke or heart attack a few years back as well so his health might be questionable. I hope they do.

It would be nice, but having brothers in the band are always a recipe for disaster. I mean, look at the Black Crowes and Oasis.
Quote by master
If I remember correctly, Ray said he'd like to do it, they're just waiting on Dave to get healthy.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by DownInAHole.
This Time Tomorrow is, by far, my favorite song of theirs.

Thank god you mentioned it!

Strangers is easily one of my most favourite songs of all time. It just has this timeless essence to it.
Quote by master

Though the whole US ban was part of why they get overlooked, I think in the end, it was because the type of music they were playing didn't blend in too well with the times. When most other bands were playing long, pschydelic songs about mind expansion and such, The Kinks were playing no frills straight-ahead pop songs that dealt with everyday life. But I have a huge respect for them for following their own muse when they could've just as easily bought in to the whole psychedellic mentality and sold craploads of records. It also helps that they were damn good songwriters, my favorite album of theirs being Arthur.
Quote by therussian
"Shangri-La" and "Victoria" are heavenly

truer words have never been spoken.

haha i first got into them from watching the Darjeeling Limited...great soundtrack!

i love them now. Lola or King Arthur are probably my favorite records
Page 1 of 2