What would be better, for tone I guess, getting a Boss GT-10 and an Atomic Amps power amp combo, or just saving up more and getting the original amp I wanted + cab, and then pedals for effects?

Money is a small factor, but I'm looking at saving for a permanent set up here, not one for the next couple years or something.

The amp I was thinking of getting (Not even 100 % sure yet, but I wanna try some stuff out first, this is just so you can see what I'm thinking of) was a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Additional info: I wanna play every genre immaginable, so entails good distortion, and good cleans. I hear the Dual can do this, I could be gruesomely wrong.

This should last me for a good while until I get endorsed or something, :P.

Thanks,

CrushedCan
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
It seems like you already know the answer to your question.

You'll be happier with an amp. And especially if you really like that amp.
_______
|||||||||||||||
You could look into a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade. It has built-in effects coupled with an all-tube amp. Alex Lifeson used thm on Rush's new album.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Well one of the big differences is that, the GT-10 + Power Amp = around 1000 $, total. The Mesa Dual Recto + Cab (I want a ****ing good cab too then, since forever, yadda yadda, etc.) + Attenuating hotplay (heh) = almost 3000 $.

So, you can see my problem. I can undoubtebly raise those funds, but it's a bitch is all, so if I can get good tones that I want without having to bust my ass, I'd rather do that.
Blackstar HT-5

hmm. marshall's 1960A and B cabs are really nice in my opinion, and you could get a used one (unless you didn't want to do that) for like $500 or less. But if you really want that Mesa, then yes, you will be spending a lot of money. I've spent a lot of money on stuff, too, and I'm really happy about all of it now. And I look forward to spending more. I guess some musicians just spend their money on gear.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Vader Cab, built to last so I hear, and they got the looks. I figure if it can handle the low ends of death metaly stuff it should be able to handle every genre I can think of.
Blackstar HT-5

what volume will you be playing at? Theres a demo on youtube of a flextone vs a dual rec and at low volumes they sound VERY similar.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
All volumes, gigging, recording, practice, etc.

I'm kinda leaning towards the dual recto now though, just cause of the replies.
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by dzaerpoor
what volume will you be playing at? Theres a demo on youtube of a flextone vs a dual rec and at low volumes they sound VERY similar.

link or its not true...
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I use a bit of both. I have a small rack with a G-Major in it for reverbs, delays etc through my effects loop, then on my board in front of the amp I have an EQ, and a couple of gain pedals.

To be honest if you are getting a Dual Rectifier a floor based multi effects will kill it UNLESS it allows you to route the effects like delay/reverb etc through the loop and the distortions/gains up front - I know the new line6 ones do this so the Boss ones probably do also.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
I'm not asking if I should use one with the other, I'm asking whether or not a multi-effects/modeler will be able to stand up to a dual recto or other highish end amp when run through a power amp.
Blackstar HT-5