Poll: how long did it take since your band formed, to get gigs?
Poll Options
View poll results: how long did it take since your band formed, to get gigs?
couple of weeks
0 0%
1-3 months
7 33%
6 months
8 38%
1 year +
6 29%
Voters: 21.
how long did it take for your band to get your first gig since you formed?

this band im in now (which is my second i've been in) have been around since mid last year, and still havent tried for gigs yet (we've had tonnes of line-up changes, i.e our drummer leaving therefore me switching from guitar to drums).

we've got a fair few originals, enough for a 30 min set, but we booted our singer a few weeks back, so we're auditioning others now, which is all why we havent done a gig yet.

so back to the point, how long?
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
how long did it take for your band to get your first gig since you formed?

this band im in now (which is my second i've been in) have been around since mid last year, and still havent tried for gigs yet (we've had tonnes of line-up changes, i.e our drummer leaving therefore me switching from guitar to drums).

we've got a fair few originals, enough for a 30 min set, but we booted our singer a few weeks back, so we're auditioning others now, which is all why we havent done a gig yet.

so back to the point, how long?

6 months. But I'd say it's better not to rush it, be the best you can before you start gigging.
Quote by Regression
6 months. But I'd say it's better not to rush it, be the best you can before you start gigging.

Though you shouldn't play if you guys suck, if you're all decent players and have a full set and a lot of practice under your belt, the sooner your band plays gigs the better, IMO.

EDIT- sorry, didnt read the whole situation part. I think you should wait until your new singer is comfortable remembering all the lyrics and just keeping pace with the band. Also, your first gigs at a club will only be 30 minutes, tops. Unless you guys play some small thing like a party or something, then get more material prepared. But as soon as the singer is ready to go, and the faster youra band can get gigging, the better.
Last edited by Jesur16 at Jun 22, 2008,
Yeh wait until you have a consistant line up. I think its a better idea to have around 45 minutes worth of originals before you gig it up. So it's about how prepared you are, rather than how long you've been going.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
lol, my band formed back in 2006 and we are only just gigging now. But back then we had a REALLY ****ty drummer and no bassist.

We just got our full line up about a month ago I think so it's moving along nicely
Six weeks if I remember rightly. (it was 8 years ago)
Where we used to rehearse, upstairs at the Carlton Hotel in Burnley, they had a PA system that any band was welcome to use for practicing with, but by week six of our rehearsals, they were using it downstairs for a charity gig on the same night that we rehearsed.
We were given a choice, either take our own PA with us to practice upstairs, don't bother rehearsing that week, or play in the gig. So we said 'Fair enough, we can do a short set of about 6 or 7 songs to open the show with, but the problem was, the other three bands that were on the bill were all mates of ours who used to come and watch us rehearse, and none of them wanted to follow us on stage, so we had to headline it.
I honestly didn't think we were ready for something like that and didn't like the idea one bit, but as it happened, I was proven wrong, so we started gigging regularly from then on, expanding the set as we went.
One month, but I pushed them like a slave driver to get solid.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Its taken a while to get a good line up but about 8 months into and we just started.
I have been playing with my drummer since may 06 and we have gone through two guitarists a singer and a drummer(yes we did actually when starting off have two drummers:rolleyes and altogether we have played about 5 or 6 gigs but they have all been birthdays.....

With the current lineup however around since late 07 we have played 2 18ths...were offered a gig in a fairly famous pub(famous for live music) but we couldnt take it cos we would be missing two memebers due to holidays... we also had another fairly big gig cancelled due to lack of organisation by some f=ucking twat... But just recerntly we got offered radio time by a crowd from fermanagh clled vibe fm and we are also going to be playing at a two day unsigned band festival organised by said radio people...... Im pretty damn excited