just wondering what you guys do when you improvise
like heavy stuff, slow all that

i do heavy stuff and a bit of tremolo picking
Quote by sexothemonkee
its all about scales
It's really not. I can make the Aeolian scale sound heavy as hell in a metal song or use it for an Irish folk song.
Lots of epic bends.
All your base are belong to us.
beg god to let me hit the right note

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

eh, i use alot of tremolo picking i guess. it impresses people. they think you can pick fast, when actually, you can't pick in time with your left
I find the trick is to know exactly how to get what you want out of your guitar (or any other instrument) without thinking about it and you just come up with licks and play them, it also helps to have some licks memorized in every key so you can use those if you run out of ideas.
I try and hit the wrong but right notes. Those weird ones that make your hair stand up. and then I'll accent it with a shred like phrase. Lots of bending and dime squeals as well XD
when i improvise, speed is of least importance. i use the improv time to create exotic licks, that i could eventually use in future songs/solos

imho its more difficult to create a memorable lick than it is to do a fast 3nps run, however a fast run if used correctly is a very good base or ending for a good lick
Phrasing. If you don't know what note to hit next, it doesn't matter how fast you play. That sounds vague because it is. There are no "tricks" to making a good solo, though if you outline chords within the song's structure, you'll rarely sound terrible.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Define "heavy stuff."

BGC, that is the funniest thing I have seen/read on UG in a long time lol.
i play for my church so when i improvise i usually do slow fills.. lots of bends and pull ons and pull offs.. i also work around the melody of the song and add fun little licks here and there.

it's great practice for me to work around the melody of a song i know.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Lots of epic bends.
So called epic bends can ruin the feeling that you want of your solo. Like bending a root note when you want a lighter sound is a no no. Theres more examples but I CBF thinking about them.

Bends are just a way to get from one note to another smoothly.
Quote by arewhyayeenn
i play for my church so when i improvise i usually do slow fills.. lots of bends and pull ons and pull offs.. i also work around the melody of the song and add fun little licks here and there.

it's great practice for me to work around the melody of a song i know.

Wait! you can do a pull on?
descibe...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)