Yeah, so, I've decided that my tiny amp isn't quite good enough anymore, and am looking to buy a new one, hopefully (definitely) under $500. Something good for both practicing in closed and open spaces, and maybe even for gigging. I have played a Spider III in Guitar Center a few times before, and though tit sounded pretty sweet, but if I spent five hundred on a 150-watt Spider III, would it be worth it? Could I get something better? As for the sound I want, I guess I should list some bands that I like. System of a Down, Pink Floyd, Tool, Trivium, Buckethead, Vai, Malmsteen, Metallica... I guess I'm looking for Metallica and Floyd-esque cleans and uber-heavy distortion. So... What should I get, if not a Spider III? I've noticed that many people here on the UG forums bash Spiders, yet they're rated as being really freakin' great elsewhere.
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
DO NOT GET A SPIDER!!!!

spiders are only (ish) good for bed room practice when you plan to off your self

i would say get a valveking and a bad monkey. not the best but better than a spider

look at b-52 amps as well

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Shard Prime
yet they're rated as being really freakin' great elsewhere.

where?

+1 to the b-52
Quote by bassistcurlee
what guitar do you play?

I have a Laguna LE222. Hoping to upgrade to something like this son, though: ESP LTD KH-202
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Quote by Ghold125
where?

+1 to the b-52

Musiciansfriend.com, for instance.
Quote by timzee117
DO NOT GET A SPIDER!!!!

spiders are only (ish) good for bed room practice when you plan to off your self

i would say get a valveking and a bad monkey. not the best but better than a spider

look at b-52 amps as well

Do this.

311zoso
It would help a lot if you could tell me a bit about the amps you suggest, instead of just telling me what to get. x_x;
Quote by Shard Prime
Musiciansfriend.com, for instance.

never trust reviews on mf and guitar center.com, companies write about them.
Quote by Ghold125

never trust reviews on mf and guitar center.com, companies write about them.

I really wouldn't doubt that... But is there proof of it? :P
Quote by Ghold125

What, is it a ****ty amp or something? :P I honestly know next to nothing about amps, which is why I posted this thread. So, where can I find honest reviews, or, what kind of amps should I be checking out, by my budget and sounds I'm looking for? <:P
Quote by Ghold125

Oh God, you didn't just do that did you? (still a good example as that amp sucks)

His point Shard Prime is that most of the reviews you see on these sites (manufacturers, musiciansfriend.com, guitarcenter.com, etc) are positive no matter what because sponser company/site would rather sell you anything than nothing. You did the right thing by coming here to ask real people what they think.

Sorry, I didn't give you a better answer before but I was busy in some other threads. I like the Peavey Valveking 112 because it fits your budget and will do what you need it to do. Yes it is 50 watts (a ton) but you can still play it softly and get a nice tube break up. It has 2 power tubes and 3 preamp tubes which means goodness.

Don't just do what we say here, use the Search Box up in the top right and search on some of these amp we've brought up. Also use the Reviews section at the very top of every UG page. Google and Youtube too.

If you want to know more about the Valveking then either respond here or PM me. There are other amps to look at too (like the B52) but I may not be an owner so may not have direct experience.

Good luck...
311zoso
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125

Dude, you should know better than to post a link to a competing site, forum or not.

TS - stick to UG brother.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Oh God, you didn't just do that did you? (still a good example as that amp sucks)

His point Shard Prime is that most of the reviews you see on these sites (manufacturers, musiciansfriend.com, guitarcenter.com, etc) are positive no matter what because sponser company/site would rather sell you anything than nothing. You did the right thing by coming here to ask real people what they think.

Sorry, I didn't give you a better answer before but I was busy in some other threads. I like the Peavey Valveking 112 because it fits your budget and will do what you need it to do. Yes it is 50 watts (a ton) but you can still play it softly and get a nice tube break up. It has 2 power tubes and 3 preamp tubes which means goodness.

Don't just do what we say here, use the Search Box up in the top right and search on some of these amp we've brought up. Also use the Reviews section at the very top of every UG page. Google and Youtube too.

If you want to know more abou t the Valveking then either respond here or PM me. There are other amps to look at too (like the B52) but I may not be an owner so may not have direct experience.

Good luck...
311zoso

Groovy. I'm checking out some videos of some of the amps now on YouTube, with my insanely slow Internet connection. :P And I probably will PM you. :3

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Dude, you should know better than to post a link to a competing site, forum or not.

Will do, bro.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Dude, shutup.
Harmony central sure has spam reviews that generally suck, but they have some VERY GOOD ONES. To be honest, i love UG, but many of the reviews SUCK. Why? Because people post them on their "honeymoon period" when they notice all of the good characteristics, but dont see the bad ones yet. Have you ever noticed that on half of the reviews of pedals they are from a guy with a starter strat copy and a marshall MG? Not that it voids their opinion, but if they're trying out an overdrive pedal on that gear, they obviously dont have the tone capabilities that someone with a tube amp.
And if you didnt notice, he linked to REVIEWS.harmonycentral.com. It has NOTHING to do with the fourm section of that website, just as with UG. The tab and review section is miles different from the fourm section, hell, i spent a year browsing through crap other than the fourms before i even looked at them/joined.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer