This is not a thread asking for the exact make/model of stings I should buy, but a question on what guage of string would seem best... so we can save the "I need all of your information save for your SSN" dance that goes on in most threads here.

Basically I need a gauge of string thicker than the usual 10's that:
- Give a more meaty low end.
- Has a less defined 'cheese-wire' feel.
- Does not require a complete re-setup just to maintain.

Seems simple enough.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by RockDJ at Jun 22, 2008,
I think .11 gauge strings would be best, but strings aren't that pricey, try out a few, and if .11's don't feel good, just try .12's. Not only that, it's not that hard to set-up a guitar. If you don't know how to, Google it. Better to figure out how to do it now.
Quote by Iceman 420
I think .11 gauge strings would be best, but strings aren't that pricey, try out a few, and if .11's don't feel good, just try .12's. Not only that, it's not that hard to set-up a guitar. If you don't know how to, Google it. Better to figure out how to do it now.

Hmm...

I know Bass strings have soft, medium, and hard types for a more mellow, medium, and bright tones... do Guitar strings have a similar system?
I don't think so. It's more of a material really. Some are nickel-wound, nylon, bronze and such. If you're looking for .11's, might I suggest GHS Boomers? I've been going through brands for a good .11 gauge and my favorite have been the Boomers.
how strong are your fingers... if they're extremly strong then the higher the better if not then stick with 11s... i use 13s for jazz and 10 s for "general"
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by Iceman 420
I don't think so. It's more of a material really. Some are nickel-wound, nylon, bronze and such. If you're looking for .11's, might I suggest GHS Boomers? I've been going through brands for a good .11 gauge and my favorite have been the Boomers.

What about for 12's?

Quote by BAoxymoron
how strong are your fingers... if they're extremly strong then the higher the better if not then stick with 11s... i use 13s for jazz and 10 s for "general"

I'm a Bass player also, so 'strong' would not be a wild claim.
I don't have a lot of experience with .12's, but I stick with GHS Boomers. If you want the bassy string feeling, than you'll need thick strings and a set-up.
Quote by Iceman 420
I don't have a lot of experience with .12's, but I stick with GHS Boomers. If you want the bassy string feeling, than you'll need thick strings and a set-up.

Meh, I have been meaning to get a coil tap anyways. I can always just get a setup and that at the same time.

Also, I play an SG... so the 'short-scale' neck may effect the decision (although the 2 fret difference cannot be that much of a problem).
i'd recommend learning to set it up as well... ask the guy installing the coil taps if you can watch while he works
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
My experience with going up in string gauges may be helpful, but in short my recommendation is .11's...

I played .09's for a while, but they always felt way too loose so I went up to .10's. To me they .10's feel just like .09's with a lot more tension and better tone. Recently I switched to .11's and the tension increase was a lot less noticeable, but the strings feel much beefier, and that's not just the bottom strings but the top ones too.
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 22, 2008,
^?
do you mean not just the bottom but the top strings too?
-George Will

What is the largest guage of strings that will not require a major set up (ie. I can keep the same nut and bridge).
Quote by RockDJ
This is not a thread asking for the exact make/model of stings I should buy, but a question on what guage of string would seem best... so we can save the "I need all of your information save for your SSN" dance that goes on in most threads here.

Seems simple enough.

Thanks in advance.

Strings are very cheap and they don't require a major investment like a guitar; so, buy some, it'll be better and more efficient to try them out yourself than to ask for opinions or speculate. Very simple.
Quote by BAoxymoron
^?
do you mean not just the bottom but the top strings too?

Lol, yeah. I had it backwards at first and apparently only fixed half of it. Editing now...
Quote by Ippon
Strings are very cheap and they don't require a major investment like a guitar; so, buy some, it'll be better and more efficient to try them out yourself than to ask for opinions or speculate. Very simple.

Yeah, that was just a precaution, UG has some really anal people on here.

I was just asking for opinions on gauges.
Erm,is it true that you have to adjust the truss rod to use 11's?And you can't play in standard E anymore when you're using 11's?

Sorry for intruding,TS.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Move up a guage from 10's to 11's
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by Broken-pick
Erm,is it true that you have to adjust the truss rod to use 11's?And you can't play in standard E anymore when you're using 11's?

Sorry for intruding,TS.

You'll have no problem playing in standard with 11's, but it is true you may need some truss rod adjustments. My guitar didn't, but I know it's pretty common.
Quote by Broken-pick

Sorry for intruding,TS.

Don't worry about it.

Hmmm, now that I think about it... a heavy string gauge would be nice (I like to play play in C/D Standard to get that 'fuller' tone). What is the best gauge for such a thing?
Last edited by RockDJ at Jun 22, 2008,