ive known about this for a while but just now decided to ask you guys about it...

my bc rich,(yeah i own a bc rich, thats besides the point...)

when i plug it in to my line 6 using the gnarliest distortion i can get out of it, it plays clean, but then i plug in my ibanez...gnarly distortion...plug in the bc rich...clean...

has anybody heard of a guitar playing clean when the amp is distorted?

i dont understand it, it plays clean and really quiet, if anybody has any idea of whats goin on with this lemme know, thanks
Last edited by codyshredfoo at Jun 22, 2008,
maybe make sure your volume on your guitar is turned up...only thing i can think of...
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
yeah ive had this problem for like 4 months, ive tried everything, it doesnt make any sense
its a lack of push by the guitar... to distort you must have enough push to overdrive the amp not enough push=no distortion... and although line 6 doesn't replicate this perfectly its designed to be close so it might not be enough push by the guitar for the processor to distort the sound
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
That's really weird. I think you need to check out the insides of the guitar if the amp works fine with other guitars.
weird considering the amp does most of the distortion....does this on both pickups?
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
if it has active pickups, then the batteries in them could be running low and you need to get them replaced or do it yourself.

i had the same problem with my strat. replaced the batteries and sounded as good as new.
It's a problem with the pickup switching mechanism. Take the back plate off, and where the pickup selector is, there should be four little prongs of metal that are move from connecting or dissconecting with each other when the selector is moved. what is happening is the connection is not being made properly. Bend the prongs untill the connections are good again.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
alright ill check that out...cuz its like that on both pickups, except the neck pickup is even quieter.

thanks a bunch sg man!!!
Most likely its the jack or or the cable, there were a couple of guitars like this at Guitar Center, I switched the ends of the cable and BAM! they were working in top notch condition.
Quote by Eric 666
Most likely its the jack or or the cable, there were a couple of guitars like this at Guitar Center, I switched the ends of the cable and BAM! they were working in top notch condition.

nope its not the cable, i only have one cable and its the cable i use all the time for my ibanez, it works fine.

i have the pics of my guitar's guts, sg man...i dont see where the prongs are that im supposed to bend back...its just an orange box with wires soldered to it. heres some pics...

you probably need to change your volume potentiometer, i think it might not be sending a good signal to the amp

@BAoxymoron: it's not called push, it's called hotness
Quote by codyshredfoo
lol...sorry im dumb...wtf is a potentiometer?

The things that the volume knobs spin.

If you aren't to sure about this stuff, take it in to a sop to fix it, and tell them what I said, I had the exact same problem with my SG once because I do the pickup switch killswitch thing, but the prongs on mine are exposed, so it was easy to fix. What happens is that the prongs straighten out, and the connection is not made, resulting in an extremely diminished signal like you described.

Anyway, take it to a pro, since you don't really sound like you know what you're doing wen it comes to electronics. (no offense intended)
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
The output jack (where you plug the cable into the guitar) could also be the culprit. When you plug the cable in is there resistance or does it just kind of slide in?? if there is no resistance then there is probably also not much of a connection.

Peace...
Tim
When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it. --- Dimebag Darrell
Quote by SickLife220
The output jack (where you plug the cable into the guitar) could also be the culprit. When you plug the cable in is there resistance or does it just kind of slide in?? if there is no resistance then there is probably also not much of a connection.

Peace...
Tim

That could be the problem too.

just so you know, it's probably not the potentiometers, unless they feel very scratchy when you try to turn them. Potentiometers are pretty sturdy.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
lol, no offence taken, up till lately ive been intimidated to just open up the back plate.

the volume knobs arent scratchy when i turn them, the pickup switch feels normal.

and no, that used to be a problem but i just bent the little prong back a little bit so when i plug in it goes in most of the way and kinda snaps in to place like it should.

and yeah i forgot to mention this...mostly because i didnt think it had anything to do with what was going on, the wires that go to my output arent soldered on...i just kinda twisted the wire around the two prongs that their supposed to be soldered onto (their not twisted around the wrong ones ive tried both of them)

but i dont really think thats the problem because i had that guitar set up that way for a good while, and it worked fine still, no problems.

but for all i know that could be THE problem. i dunno, any more input?
solder them on.

black ground goes to the inner most lug.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks guys, is that an ibanez sz520? it looks like the same paintjob as mine too, and the input looks the same
oh yeah, and how much do you think a soldering iron would go for in teh u.s?
go to a radio shack, get a little kit, i've bought a few there.
instructions are on the pack.

the last one was like $13 solder included.

edit: and that;s a schecter C1+ very similar to that ibanez model.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
so my mommy didnt wanna go to radio shack, so we went to walmart and got this like...3 dollar soldering iron, i soldered the wires onto the output, but its still just playing clean, any ideas of what else would be wrong?
Definitely take it to the shop, ask them.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)