is the finger strength needed to use a fretted more or less than the strength needed to use a fretless? This is related to my hand problem i mentioned before

Thanks
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
well, it depends on what kind of frets you have, what size strings, and how high your action is. but, having played both alot, im going to say a fretted bass with a lower action will be easier to sound good on when applying the same amount as you would on a fretless. to get a good sound on a fretless you need to apply just the right amount of pressure. so lower your action, my friend.
thanks guys. I'm going to try to make to a GC and see if it makes a difference. I wonder if this is why Carles Benavent switched to fretted after his car accident

as a side note, are neck trades between people done? If having frets would help, id rather not have to buy an entirely new bass
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by InvaderRen
thanks guys. I'm going to try to make to a GC and see if it makes a difference. I wonder if this is why Carles Benavent switched to fretted after his car accident

as a side note, are neck trades between people done? If having frets would help, id rather not have to buy an entirely new bass

does this mean there is a chance you wont make it to GC??

is the some kind of deadly hazard that will prevent you?

pics of the GC monster and pics of you there
Quote by slap-a-bass
does this mean there is a chance you wont make it to GC??

is the some kind of deadly hazard that will prevent you?

pics of the GC monster and pics of you there

Yes, the monster is called distance and his food is gasoline. This is why I don't go to a GC often. The nearest one is a good 70 miles away. Yeah

I agree with Ben, if you have the know-how defretting a bass shouldn't be that rough. By know how I men some carpentry experience.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Yes, the monster is called distance and his food is gasoline. This is why I don't go to a GC often. The nearest one is a good 70 miles away. Yeah

I agree with Ben, if you have the know-how defretting a bass shouldn't be that rough. By know how I men some carpentry experience.

If you do defret it get a how to guide of google, or there might even be one kicking around here somewhere. I defretted mine and I did a pretty good job on the fretboard but in the process I threw the truss rod out of ajustment. So even though it looked good, only three notes played on the whole thing.
Quote by IndianRockStar

Defretting doesn't even require carpentry experience. Hell, fretting a bass isn't hard on paper. The most difficult thing I can think of is measuring out the frets accurately.
my bass is fretless, as evidenced by my siggy. Im investigating the possible merits of fretted [see below]

I'm aiming to find a way to use to less pressure fretting b/c i have been having hand problems. Ill be seeing a doctor in the immediate future [this week or so] about

EDIT: I have defretted a bass before. I have basic carpentry experience and it was a piece of cake
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by InvaderRen
are neck trades between people done? If having frets would help, id rather not have to buy an entirely new bass

I've never heard of it, But it's an exellent idea. Plus since it's a jazz bass and your wanting to go from fretless to fretted (most folk changing their neck go the other way) I bet you'll have little problems finding one.

Why don't you put an advert up in the ads section on this website? It won't cost anything (I don't THINK so anyway, I've never used the advert section here, So I wouldn't know if it's worth recommending.)
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jun 24, 2008,
its fretless to fretted. See the sig.

I would imagine that trading a fretless neck for a fretted would be easier than vice versa
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
You would have o get a neck SPECIFICALLY made for that model of bass otherwise, you simply cannot drop in a new neck into a bass, it requires a bunch of mod. And i would suggest against trying to fret your fretless neck if you have never fretted something before, as it as not simple as most might think.
Quote by InvaderRen

I would imagine that trading a fretless neck for a fretted would be easier than vice versa

could you post a pic of the neck? I might make the trade.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
its a Fender stock fretless neck, MIM. Ill take a pic soon. I still in the initial stages of considering a fretted neck again. Gotta make it down to GC or Sam Ash to try em out. Also depends on what the doc says. I'd prefer to stay on fretless however
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by Bass-man43
You would have o get a neck SPECIFICALLY made for that model of bass otherwise, you simply cannot drop in a new neck into a bass, it requires a bunch of mod. And i would suggest against trying to fret your fretless neck if you have never fretted something before, as it as not simple as most might think.

But he has a jazz bass, so finding another neck will be easier than taking candy from an anorexic girl. Or making fun of the government.

But yeah, ebay is your best friend for this.
How about using lighter gauge strings to offset the strength required? At least I think you'd need lighter strings. Tony Iommi downtuned his guitar to cope with the fact that the tension was too high in the strings at standard tuning. Now by using lighter gauge strings, you'd be able to get to standard tuning with less tension in the strings. Less tension would mean you don't need to fret as hard.
Quote by InvaderRen

It was a typo, sorry. I'll just sort it...

On topic, most people who want to get a fretless neck and put it on will probably be in the same position as yourself - I mean, What's the point in two people both paying extra and having spare necks lying about thier house? A neck swap in my oppinion, Is an awsome idea.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jun 24, 2008,
Personally, I find that fretless is much easier on the fretting hand. It's one of the reasons I've considered going fretless.

The action is lower because there are no frets in the way. When you fret a note, the string lands gently on the fretboard and you don't need to press very hard to get a clear sound. With a fretted bass, the string never touches the fretboard, leaving room to keep pressing harder and, in fact, requiring you to press harder to prevent fret buzz.

A good set-up will do wonders for any bass, but fretless is just an overall softer experience.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior