Page 1 of 2
Well guys I'm confused, rock doesn't really seem to be going in one direction anymore, does it? Do you guys think alternative will still be big five to ten years down the road? It seems like its dying out which sucks cause I love alternative.
heres how i see it
every generation is a evolution of the past generation
be it message or sound or both
but im worried, because our generation is no longer sex, drugs, and rock n roll
and its
cut, cry, and scream
and that makes me fear for our future as musicians
Quote by gnpwdrtreason
heres how i see it
every generation is a evolution of the past generation
be it message or sound or both
but im worried, because our generation is no longer sex, drugs, and rock n roll
and its
cut, cry, and scream
and that makes me fear for our future as musicians

Very little of the music today is cut cry scream. Its just a very new, very vocal, and very annoying minority of music that is being expressed. There is a ton of raw talent, and just like sex drugs and rock and roll wasn't the only theme in the past generation (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rush, I'm going back pretty far, but none of them talked about sex drugs and r&r) that's not the only theme in ours, nor will it be the most remembered.
alternative is in the same boat as metal was a while ago, not quite gone but not quite there, basically theres going to be a good group of people doing it, who hopefully wont get copys of themselves from other bands since there arent many people looking at that scene, so youll get the real alt talent when no ones looking in that genre. thats what nomally happens to any genre that doesnt get mainstream attention, no one who wants to be famous does it, the people who enjoy it make music and make it good, record company heres something interesting/different that could boost sale, sign band, everyone in that gnere without major record deal gets signed, more 'poser' bands appear to make a name for themselves off another bands sound and get signed and become bigger than originaters, genre becomes over saturated and implodes on itself and the cycle begins anew. you see thats why most of the time the best in a genre are usually the founders. sometimes its not true but i dont know any genre that hasnt done that, but i dont listen to that much different types of music so...
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Can I ask, what exactly is alternative, cuz I've heard that being applied to all kinds of different **** (from Nickelback to Maroon 5) some of it good, some of it not so good. What do you mean when you say you're into alternative?
When I list bands under alternative its stuff Finger 11, seether, shinedown and three days grace. But I have seen those bands put down under post grunge.
alternative is a non-existant genre. look up the definition of alternative.

I think rock music is headed in a fairly poor direction... it's always been pretty image-based, but I think it's worse than it's ever been... seems like more bands are focusing on what their hair looks like/what designer they're wearing/what the bass player is doing... it is very similar to what the glam rock bands were doing in the eighties. The first major band that I heard that was referred to as "alternative" was Nirvana, but all these "alternative" bands are so far removed from the message of what bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, etc were promoting... I'm mostly into metal/death metal, but I like "rock" music too... 99% of rock radio today is disgusting. Bands like Hinder, Seether, Puddle of Mudd all write overproduced simple, three chord tunes that are easily crammed down the throats of the unthinking masses... "rock" music, as it stands, is no better than mainstream pop/hip-hop... in fact, they are integrally the same since most 17 year old pop princess' music collection will have burned copies of Jay-Z and Akon right next to Finger Eleven, Nickelback and Hinder.

This stuff just pisses me off, so I'm going to stop.
I do agree with you on a lot of things and I honestly haven't listen to the radio in a good two or three years. But I do feel that there is still some hope with bands like Shinedown, Coheed and Cambria and I honestly think Seether is a good band. There first and third album had a pretty raw sound to it but I will agree that there second album was over produced.

Right here.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
rock is dead. its children emo, punk, and pop rock are the new boys.

i think they should all perform a necromantic ritual, sacrifice themselves and bring back their daddy
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I personally prefer 33 A.D. when they finally killed that bastard Jesus.

^ BRILLIANT^

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Alternative is a very broad and subjective term. Tbh, I think rock is thriving just fine, and always will.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Alternative is music not found in mainstream music, like nirvana was once alternative until nevermind got huge, and then they became mainstream, when someone says Daughtry or Staind are alternative they are full of shit, anybody who is on American Idol or top 40 is probably not alternative.

Anyways back on topic. The state of mainstream music is still just getting worse by the minute with releases by t-pain, shawty, and between the august red dies hard, BUT if you just search for music new and old you'll probably find something you like.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I think the only thing that can save it is for a band that changes the whole flow of things. bringing in a new generation, going back to more of the roots of rock n roll. zeppelin, the who and other classic bands like that. i think its the only chance
I wouldn't mind to see bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots try to revive grunge by releasing albums around the same time as one another. I think that good old fashioned rock can be continued by the release of Velvet Revolver's new album with their new singer (hopefully Chris Cornell) and GNR releasing Chinese Democracy (finally). I also like bands like Jet, Airbourne, and Lenny Kravitz who have a retro-rock feel too.
Quote by Sp00nman94
I wouldn't mind to see bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots try to revive grunge by releasing albums around the same time as one another. I think that good old fashioned rock can be continued by the release of Velvet Revolver's new album with their new singer (hopefully Chris Cornell) and GNR releasing Chinese Democracy (finally). I also like bands like Jet, Airbourne, and Lenny Kravitz who have a retro-rock feel too.

well one of those things will never come out, the other isnt really considered (from what ive seen at least) to be a rock band. AiC is working on a new album bout without staley it wont be them, Pearl Jam just started on theres as well i believem STP are busy touring right now plus there old stuff still suffices, jet is good but they need another album, airbourne are going to be big just watch, and as for lenny i like a few of his old songs. frankly most acts from the 90s cant handle doign good in the 00s theyre tryign to hard to keep theyre mainstream success and it turns on them, but the first three bands on your list wont be affected, and niether will jet or airbourne, aussies are just Bada$$ that way... i wish i was an aussie
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
I'm only relying on Wolfmother, I like the retro-rock genre they're pulling off.

Also remember the new AC/DC album coming out. With all these bands reuniting, I wouldn't feel there's absolutely no hope for Rock n' Roll.
Quote by Fiberglass Gum
I'm only relying on Wolfmother, I like the retro-rock genre they're pulling off.

Also remember the new AC/DC album coming out. With all these bands reuniting, I wouldn't feel there's absolutely no hope for Rock n' Roll.

wolfmother is the the future of psychadelic rock, i wouldnt be suprised if there next album is 7 hours long and only 11 songs long, but thats why theyre great
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by Sp00nman94

Although I do like most of those bands, we can't rely on the old to get rock to be awesome. We need another band to cause major turnaround from the mainstream again to show us the light.
Muse and QOTSA are still around?

Good.

Screw the rest.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish

Good.

Screw the rest.

Amen to this.

Even though I would throw in some others.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by dead-fish

Good.

Screw the rest.

Yeah but Muse is mainly popular over the pond, and QOTSA are undergroundish, we need a band to get on the airwaves and totally kick ass.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by soundgarden19
Yeah but Muse is mainly popular over the pond, and QOTSA are undergroundish, we need a band to get on the airwaves and totally kick ass.

Muse is actually surprisingly popular and well known where I live. Then again, it is Austin, which is known for being relatively kick ass when it comes to music.
Modern music is fine. Actually, this decade has been great for music. My Morning Jacket, The Hold Steady, Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Black Angels, Black Lips, King Khan, Built to Spill, Cold War Kids, Deerhunter, Gogol Bordello, Bon Iver, Magnetic Fields, MGMT, Of Montreal, No Age, Ryan Adams, Stephen Malkmus + the Jicks, Sufjan Stevens, Ted Leo and The Pharmacists, This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb, Voxtrot, and Wolf Parade are all excellent modern bands.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Yeah, I agree with Tyler. Commercial stuff has always been so-so. Apparently, you guys aren't looking hard enough because there are ample amounts of great, groudbreaking bands out there.
LOL
I don't think that rock has ever gone in any particular direction collectively.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I agree with the above three comments. There were always good rock bands out there, in any decade and year, and I think there always will be. You might indeed just want to try harder if you can't find anything.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by break-me-in
Amen to this.

Even though I would throw in some others.

Well obviously, I left out The Mars Volta, Tool, Foo Fighters, Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu, Velvet Revolver, Primus (hopefully), NIN, and the ever monsterous Gogol Bordello, but that's all just splitting hairs.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by DownInAHole.
Yeah, I agree with Tyler. Commercial stuff has always been so-so. Apparently, you guys aren't looking hard enough because there are ample amounts of great, groudbreaking bands out there.
I agree with both of you.

So here's a better question: What direction is the underground going?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

There's never been any direction.
LOL
That's not entirely true. There's always been trends.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

Well, being that it is the underground, I'd say down. Under the ground. That's its nature.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by RHCP94
Modern music is fine. Actually, this decade has been great for music. My Morning Jacket, The Hold Steady, Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Black Angels, Black Lips, King Khan, Built to Spill, Cold War Kids, Deerhunter, Gogol Bordello, Bon Iver, Magnetic Fields, MGMT, Of Montreal, No Age, Ryan Adams, Stephen Malkmus + the Jicks, Sufjan Stevens, Ted Leo and The Pharmacists, This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb, Voxtrot, and Wolf Parade are all excellent modern bands.

The only bad band there.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
I haven't really been listening to much modern rock... It's all emo. Once you've heard one band you've heard them all. (well not all, some try to be original...Funny... I can't even think of one... haha...) I've been turning to classic rock... as for today's rock... It will change... it always does...

Hey, a thought came to my mind! The Smashing Pumpkins, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and The White Stripes are some bands that have originality.

It's pretty much a bunch of young girls on Myspace that make these new bands famous, I'm serious...
Quote by RHCP94

only band on there i knew when i read it, thanks for making me remember them i got to get a few of their songs on itunes
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
it is trouble when people start talking about the future of rock, and they name bands who have been around for 15+ years as the future. Not that they don't have a place in rock's future, but bands like AIC, Pearl Jam (my fav. band), velvet revolver ect. are the past; the current state of rock is horrible IMO. To much of an attempt to sound like every other radio friendly band out there rather than something original.
Cream fan club member #11.
I think the next "big" genre is on the loom. I'm talking big as in like blues, rock, jazz, punk, rap, metal, electronica etc... It will be something like Battles. Like mind warping music that draws influences from rock, electronic, avant-garde, hip hop. It will be many little chunks of melodies, rhtyhms, etc... in 3-5 minute songs. Like how progressive rock came to be known as "mind music", this will take that to an extreme with the mixture of "body music" liek punk, hip hop, dance are known. So it will be both mind and body music. Just listen to "Ddiamondd" on the Mirrored album by Battles.

With the onset of the internet, people want things instantly and they have received things instantly. Information, music, movies, games, mates, friends, etc... It's the old world in a warp drive. And I think this new genre of music might be called simply warp. It really fits perfect. It will be a fast and energetic music and bring back fun to music. Boring post-grunge, crunk rap, depressing emo music will the victims. Just look at artists like M.I.A., Go Team, and Santogold, they are moving towards this new genre from the hip hop side of things. All the trends of this decade will create something totally new in the next decade. It will be warp.
The future of rock is really up to you. The real question is where are you going to take it. Are you going to reach for a dream or just sleep on it. Why don't you start working out what nest sound are you going to create. Quit waiting for someone else to do it for you. Instead of trying to learn your favorite bands songs, try making a new song and song of your. own.
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
I think rock N roll is being taken over by band like The Jonas brothers and Hedly that think they are starting a new revolution of music but really just copying the classics, and dont do a good job. So music is really repeating itself but is getting worse. It's sad.
Quote by masterdeveice
I think rock N roll is being taken over by band like The Jonas brothers and Hedly that think they are starting a new revolution of music but really just copying the classics, and dont do a good job. So music is really repeating itself but is getting worse. It's sad.

There have always been such bands around and they've never stopped anything from moving.
Page 1 of 2