Page 1 of 3
Just wondering, I've been playing for less than 6 months, and I can play pretty much any song (speed metal, thrash, and not sloppy). I have mastered the Enter Sandman solo, and I'm Broken solo from Pantera.

Am I playing good for my time Ive been playing?

EDIT:::::

I uploaded some songs on my profile, so you guys will stop yelling at me. I was just wondering if I was good for how long I was playing so atleast I can know to practice more/less.
Last edited by dlmebag at Jul 2, 2008,
Sure, if it's true.

I'm usually not much of a doubter, but I think it's fair to request a video for proof.
most people will tell you that you are trying to brag..

but on the other hand, i will tell you, everyone learns at a different pace. it also depends how well you can play the songs. i know kids who think they can play something, and their like yea man, but actually, they blow chunks.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
well that means your technique has improved but do you know your theory,notes,scales and such ?
I'm not trying to brag, in fact, I'm complete **** compared to most (and plus the faster learners often dont become GOOD players.) And no Im not posting a video for proof, the Enter Sandman solo is really easy.

Honestly, I dont know ANYTHING about playing, I dont know any chords, terms, anything. I don't really see a need to know any of it, I just play.
Quote by dlmebag
I'm not trying to brag, in fact, I'm complete **** compared to most (and plus the faster learners often dont become GOOD players.) And no Im not posting a video for proof, the Enter Sandman solo is really easy.

Honestly, I dont know ANYTHING about playing, I dont know any chords, terms, anything. I don't really see a need to know any of it, I just play.

if the last half of thats true you may be one of the next, chosen guitar gods
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Sorry, I can't resist.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
I remember thinking I didnt need to know theory or chords...

Then I joined a band. Or rather a real band. That was a rude awakening. When your playing a long with everyone, then they give you a minuet for a solo, but you dont know how to play in that key, how to build emotion. Then it goes down hill fast.
I honestly forget the guitar strings sometimes, I always get the A and D strings mixed up...

But all I do is play guitar every day, pretty much all day, nothing else to do...
Quote by dlmebag

Well, not learning theory will hold you back alot.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Oh my God man, you're so brutal, playing for 6 months and claiming it's not sloppy at all without any video proof!

Seriously, not another one of these threads again, none of them over post a video of it...

Id upload a video but I dont even have a webcam. I could borrow a friends though.
Quote by F8iscruel
if the last half of thats true you may be one of the next, chosen guitar gods

How would that make me a guitar god?

And can someone explain what theory is?
Quote by dlmebag
And no Im not posting a video for proof, the Enter Sandman solo is really easy.

I never said it had to be that song. Really any video at all of your playing would prove that you aren't lying. Even just the first thirty seconds of Master of Puppets would be enough...
I see what you did there.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Quote by dlmebag
Just wondering, I've been playing for less than 6 months, and I can play pretty much any song (speed metal, thrash, and not sloppy). I have mastered the Enter Sandman solo, and I'm Broken solo from Pantera.

Am I playing good for my time Ive been playing?

Sorry, but chances are this is a case of thinking you are good, when in fact, you suck. Give it a couple years and you should realize it for yourself.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
I would say your pretty much on track, Metallica is relatively easy compared to some of the metal today. The one thing you might not realize cause you have only been playing for six months is that your going to be sloppy, whether its your timing during a song or hitting the wrong notes. Plus through out the thread you were downing certain aspects of your guitar playing don't do that you sound like a whinny loser. And don't worry about how fast your learning just enjoy playing and take your time to prefect your skill.
seems like a lot of kids who have been playing 6 months say this.... One even told me "i can play anything under the sun" and sucked.
Quote by Regression
Well, not learning theory will hold you back alot.

yeah if you learn some stuff think about how much better you will be. Theres always something new to learn and you'll learn if you don't learn it that you'll become limited in your playing. I ain't saying you need to learn it all. I know tons of scales tons of arpeggios but I rarely know the names of them because i forget the names. I know what key I'm in thats all thats important...
Trust me, you think you're good now, in 6 more months you're gonna find yourself doing the same riffs and licks over and over and never improving. Start learning theory now and maybe even go for lessons to improve your technique, it's worth it in the long run if you're serious about guitar. There's nothing more devastating than having a guitar teacher tell you that your techniques are actually bad habits and could hold you back a year or two after starting to play.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
dude. you sound like i did, months ago, its not good for you, learn your lesson soon, from some one who was just there, your going to suck until youve been playing for about 2 years at least, hence why ill say i suck, even though im better than everyone i know in real life, reason being, eveyone on this site who matters, owns every tiny bit of your playing, so, unless you got some badass vids to prove it [dont go cheap on cameras, it sucks for yourself only] , its sorta like, survival of the fitest, prove that your good, and theyll accept it, brag without proof, your gonna get killed
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Well to me if you are making good songs writing wise... and you can play good songs... cover wise then no one is really better than no one. When I youtube a guitar video and i see someone just running arpeggios the whole time I click it off and say damn that was boring. But when I see someone who wrote an original song thats well put together and it may not even have a solo in it and i watch them play it I think damn that was bad ass. I can play some pretty technical prog metal and I used to be in a band doing that but then I stopped. It got boring. The band I'm in now isn't nowhere near as technical but it sounds so much better and its way more fun.
Quote by dlmebag
I honestly forget the guitar strings sometimes, I always get the A and D strings mixed up...

But all I do is play guitar every day, pretty much all day, nothing else to do...

I do that do...

if your not lying your unusually good at playing guitar, if thats what you wanted to hear. Doubt you though.
Quote by dlmebag

Then you're lying, so STFU.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Horlicks
I would like to see a video of you playing

Lol Same here, I Know someone who has been pklayin little over 3 years and cant play the master of puppets solo! Lol Infact, I'v been playin for 1 1/2 years, and after 6 months i could.. just about play the first few riffs of Carlos Santana - Smooth
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
SHOW OFF
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
The more experienced you are the more exacting your standards become with regards to what classes as "acceptable". Likewise your ability to tell good from bad playing also improves. At 6 months you aren't in a position to judge yourself accurately. Compared to when you didn't know how to play then you no doubt sound amazing to yourself, but there's only one thing certain here and that's that you are nowhere near as good as you think you are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hahaha... everytime something lie this comes up, a e-drama will surely follow ;D
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Mate take it easy. I have been playing from Jan as well and i can do a fair few solos myself and learning quickly but its not big deal.

Recently i have started to work evermore on accuracy and not being sloppy. Quick learning is no big deal.
Ibanez RG321MH - Royal Blue = sexness
i'm gonna just call bs on the kid, i've been playing just under a year, and unless you don't sleep to practice then your lying. i thought i could play 'my curse' by killswitch engage around that time, and guess what happened? i played it for someone way better than me and he tore me up. and played it way better.
I would only call bs due to the fact of how he kept downing himself, but at the same it could be believable cause the guy isn't claiming to play something complex, its metallica and not even the complex stuff from and justice for all. look man don't expect people not to rag on you hard because of seeing where you were at it sounded more like bragging. And on my point guitar playing is not a video game where your trying to beat and master it in a time limit. Take your time.
If that's true then god damn... I've only been playing for 6 months and the only song I can play is Pork and Beans by Weezer.
Quote by steven seagull
Then you're lying, so STFU.

Im not going to post a video because I dont care what anyone thinks, I just wanted to know if Im learning at a good pace.

But thanks to everyone for the help.
Quote by DMGrier
I would only call bs due to the fact of how he kept downing himself, but at the same it could be believable cause the guy isn't claiming to play something complex, its metallica and not even the complex stuff from and justice for all. look man don't expect people not to rag on you hard because of seeing where you were at it sounded more like bragging. And on my point guitar playing is not a video game where your trying to beat and master it in a time limit. Take your time.

The stuff Im playing is easy anyway. Look at the tabs for Im broken or Puppets...
I learned to play guitar at a pretty fast pace...

but then again, I played Piano for 10 years and Cello for 12 years, so I wasn't "new" to instruments.
I think you've made pretty good progress if you can play those songs, but you need to learn some theory. If you can progress that fast, then learning theory shouldn't be really hard, at least the basics.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by steven seagull
The more experienced you are the more exacting your standards become with regards to what classes as "acceptable". Likewise your ability to tell good from bad playing also improves. At 6 months you aren't in a position to judge yourself accurately. Compared to when you didn't know how to play then you no doubt sound amazing to yourself, but there's only one thing certain here and that's that you are nowhere near as good as you think you are.

Well you obviously read pretty well... Thats why this thread is here, I needed people to judge my progress. You say Im in no position to judge myself... Well no ****, thats why Im here.
Page 1 of 3