i just picked up my vk 212 the other day

and for all the people who say it cant, i feel sorry for your lack of better judgement..

adding an eq pedal in the fx loops worked marvelously! it gave me bohemoth tones!

so yeh

im basically writing this so tell those who are on a budget and get told to buy secondhand **** instead of the valveking, make sure you actually try the valveking out first!

oh and also, the speakers arent as muddy as i expected, however they do go a bit ****ty at higher volumes
That's good 'cos I'm most probably gonna buy one in the next couple of weeks
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Well its acording what you consider "metal" anyway. All the times ive played the valveking it could def do metal. Just didn't have the metal tone i'd want. In the price range a bugera 333xl blows the valveking away. tone wise.
Quote by solidsnake15
Well its acording what you consider "metal" anyway. All the times ive played the valveking it could def do metal. Just didn't have the metal tone i'd want. In the price range a bugera 333xl blows the valveking away. tone wise.

bohemoth man haha

if they arent metal im a ****en monkeys ass
Quote by solidsnake15

bohemoth man haha

if they arent metal im a ****en monkeys ass

actually, i have a funny story about bohemoth, someone at my school called them emo, then a metal head dude, threw him to the ground and stomped his face
It doesn't have the kindof metal tone most people would go for. Thats why you don't see a ton of metal bands with them. Of course theres some bands who do like that kinda tone. Nothing wrong with it. Everyone has different opinions on tone.
There's a huge difference in an amp being able to do something vs sound good doing it. Hell a $15 fab metal pedal can do metal.....

Heres the run down the amp can generally do thrash metal and even as far as lamb of god decently with speaker swap, eq and od pedal. But modern metal or pretty much anything done with a 5150/6505,XXX, JSX, Ultra, Engl, VHT, Rivera, Bogner, Diezel, and so on, it cant do well. Sure it can get there gain wise but its gonna sound pretty muddy or just sound like a high gain version of thrash. The main reason for this is the amps voicing. The amp was made to be a versatile jack of all trades amp. Vs all the other amps listed are generally voiced for high gain metal. So there just going to do it better and they dont need to be boosted to hell and gone to get there.

Bottom line if you want an amp that is versatile and can get pretty heavy its a decent amp. But if you were looking for a 6505 in the first place and only play metal its not the amp for you.
it's still a garbage amp
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
^ not everyone can afford 7 guitars and a half stack, buddy. People are just making the best of what they can get and you shouldn't just piss all over them for that just.

And yes, the VK can do metal, not uber high gain modern stuff, but it can handle some of it. Look at the demo in my profile and you'll figure that out pretty quick.
The 100w head I tried got nowhere near a good metal tone, it was weedy and thin, and the 112 combo was also quite thin but muddy. I don't like valvekings personally. I also disagree strongly with your stupid comments about 'lack of better judgement' and 'used shit.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
are there like any good comments about the valve king 100 head cuz i would think its pretty much the same sounding as the 212
If you must get a Valveking, get the 112 combo. The 212 is overkill and stupidly heavy and the head is overkill too.
Quote by maverick_137
are there like any good comments about the valve king 100 head cuz i would think its pretty much the same sounding as the 212

The head is pretty nice and sounds the same as the 212 combo. The good thing about the head is you can slap it on a 212 cab with better speakers and your good to go vs having to pay for the combo and trash the speakers that came with it. And depending on what type of music you play will determine what wattage you need. 100 watts is over kill for alot of genres but even if you go with the head you always have the A/B simulation control so it mimics a smaller wattage.
^ No, the AB/A control does basically nothing and it doesn't mimic a lower wattage at all, anyway don't all the Valvekings have it?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
There's a huge difference in an amp being able to do something vs sound good doing it. Hell a $15 fab metal pedal can do metal.....

Heres the run down the amp can generally do thrash metal and even as far as lamb of god decently with speaker swap, eq and od pedal. But modern metal or pretty much anything done with a 5150/6505,XXX, JSX, Ultra, Engl, VHT, Rivera, Bogner, Diezel, and so on, it cant do well. Sure it can get there gain wise but its gonna sound pretty muddy or just sound like a high gain version of thrash. The main reason for this is the amps voicing. The amp was made to be a versatile jack of all trades amp. Vs all the other amps listed are generally voiced for high gain metal. So there just going to do it better and they dont need to be boosted to hell and gone to get there.

Bottom line if you want an amp that is versatile and can get pretty heavy its a decent amp. But if you were looking for a 6505 in the first place and only play metal its not the amp for you.

+1
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i'm not posting to say OMG - You GOTS to get a Valveking. Never have.

This amp is what it is. I can't speak to the Head. I do think that the 112 combo is a good buy for what you get for $400. The times I will push the VK112 are times when someone comes on here, has a limited budget, wants a versatile amp, and is considering a Spider or MG or some hybrids I'm not going to mention right now.

IbanezPsycho pretty much knows what he's talking about and true thos amps you mentioned are better (prolly) but would be hard pressed to buy at $400-$500 used.

Maybe I'm wrong so flame away.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
IbanezPsycho pretty much knows what he's talking about
Disagree; he just got lucky.
The VK fails at being a tube amp. I don't see how you guys like the way they sound, it's pretty ****ty.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

So I'm not going to disagree with you MrCarrot as you appear to me to be one of the smartest guys on here when it comes to amps, how they are built and how to fix them.

Is your impression of the Texture Control on these Valvekings that it is a gimmick? I'm asking based on your comments yesterday about how you were intrigued by it but maybe I mis-read. I think that was the A - A/B thread.

Just asking

And Vanquish, I thought Sadistic Sponge's demo was pretty good so I don't think it fails as a tube amp. Plus the fact that I own one.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 22, 2008,
VK can do metal, but not well. Especially without the aid of a EQ or OD.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by maverick_137
and wats the bohemoth

he means Behemoth, ****ing noob. (not you, i mean't the TS)
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So I'm not going to disagree with you MrCarrot as you appear to me to be one of the smartest guys on here when it comes to amps, how they are built and how to fix them.

Is your impression of the Texture Control on these Valvekings that it is a gimmick? I'm asking based on your comments yesterday about how you were intrigued by it but maybe I mis-read. I think that was the A - A/B thread.

Just asking

And Vanquish, I thought Sadistic Sponge's demo was pretty good so I don't think it fails as a tube amp. Plus the fact that I own one.
i found it a bit of a gimmick, yeah. It really has the most subtle effect..
TBH TS I tried a thread like this a few months ago, I even posted clips. You'll always get haters hating on stuff that's more "budget". The higher priced something is, the more people believe that it is WAY better and overlook its shortcomings. The amount of people on here who think all Mesas are good, or that the Orange TT can do everything is shocking, really. It's just fashionable to hate some things on here (MCR, MG, Zakk Wylde etc.) and the VK is one of them.

If I were you TS I would just enjoy the tone you have, if you like it then nothing else really matters (unless you're a famous rockstar and your lifestyle depends on your fans liking it as well).

Oh and for the record, I've always found IbanezPsycho to be very honest about what this amp can and cannot do, and I respect his opinion.

Peace out.

Quote by ugmung
he means Behemoth, ****ing noob. (not you, i mean't the TS)

Meant doesn't have an apostrophe, four-starring noob.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Meant doesn't have an apostrophe, four-starring noob.

I'd still rather have my 5150 which can do any metal with ease.
A used 5150 can be found for the same price of the VK212.
But i guess the VK112 is a pretty good deal.
I'm certainly not a fan of them though.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab