So lately I've been wondering if the Fender Telecaster is versatile enough to play metal, death metal, and other heavy stuff on it. I'm asking this now, because I'm about to buy a new guitar. I've tried some Ibanez and an Epiphone (that was the only guitar I liked there, almost bought it, sadly its volume knob was **** and didn't work...). But there were Fenders, too. And the only guitar I like is the Telecaster, really... But I'm afraid to buy it, cause haven't seen anybody play metal on it.
the dude from wintersun used a telelcaster.
good amp with maybe a pickup change will do the trick
james root from slipknot's sig is a tele,
just with some major upgrades
Quote by Snap017
Why listen to it? That song is for emos, homos, and girls.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
And Def Leppard aren't cool. Hell, rabies and Robert Mugabe are cooler.

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
i say go for it. the telecaster will give you a really raw tone(in an awesome way) and not that fuzzy tone that you have on most guitars made for metal.
hmm might need bucckers in it i dont know if single coils will handle metal too well
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Thanks for the opinions! Well I liked that video, but is it a modded Tele?
I'd only recommend it if you're going to replace the bridge pickup. The single coil will probably be too bright for metal and you'll get a lot of hum with high gain settings. There are single coil sized humbuckers available, check them out. I recommend taking a look at the Seymour Duncan hot rails.
it doesnt look modded it looks standard in the clips apparently he is sposored by fender
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd only recommend it if you're going to replace the bridge pickup. The single coil will probably be too bright for metal and you'll get a lot of hum with high gain settings. There are single coil sized humbuckers available, check them out. I recommend taking a look at the Seymour Duncan hot rails.

How much is that?
About 80 to 100 bucks for the pickup, another twenty for letting a tech do the swapping for you. I don't recommend doing it yourself if you're too clueless about that.

But anyway: Just walk into the store and see if the tele sounds good to you. If the stock pickups do it for you, there's no need to swap them.
but i don't see the reason in buying a telecaster if you replace the bridge pickup with a humbucker.
Teppei Teranishi of Thrice uses a Tele's and Jazzmasters/Jaguars (Cant remember which one it was) on their latest record. Granted it isn't as heavy as their previous stuff, but the Fire EP is pretty heavy.

I have a essex telecaster copy, and its great. A telecaster has everything you need and nothing you don't (unless you want a trem)
Look at the the Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio Chopper pickup.

I've also got an Ibanez RG and unless you are playing extreme shred or need a whammy, a tele will do just as well.
In fact im selling the Ibanez soon to buy a MIM Tele and replacing the bridge pickup myself.
Last edited by willis4 at Jun 22, 2008,
it wouldn't be my first choice...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by willis4
Teppei Teranishi of Thrice uses a Tele's and Jazzmasters/Jaguars (Cant remember which one it was) on their latest record. Granted it isn't as heavy as their previous stuff, but the Fire EP is pretty heavy.

I have a essex telecaster copy, and its great. A telecaster has everything you need and nothing you don't (unless you want a trem)
Look at the the Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio Chopper pickup.

I've also got an Ibanez RG and unless you are playing extreme shred or need a whammy, a tele will do just as well.
In fact im selling the Ibanez soon to buy a MIM Tele and replacing the bridge pickup myself.

Well I hate whammy's my current guitar has one and there are just problems with it. So I think the Telecaster will be okay.
make sure you try it for the metal you want to play. the overwhelming majority of metal players use pretty high output humbuckers for a reason...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Replace the pickups and it should be fine with a good amp......I can get Metallica-esque tones on my SX Telecaster's stock pickups with a distortion pedal....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls