Ok, as some may know that a while back I attempted to use heavy gauge strings on my Strat which didn't work out to say the least. Now I have a Les Paul and I was wondering because I cant see any springs for the Bridge I was wondering is a Les Paul guitar better suited for heavier gauge strings than a Strat?
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

You can put any gauge of string on any guitar. Stevie Ray Vaughan would put .12's, 13's, even .15's on his Strats.
Baritones are made for it.
SRV put heavy strings on his guitars, but he could afford to.
If I got guitars for free I'd do it too.
I wouldn't risk warping my neck just so I could tune down a little bit more than normal, but that's just me.
peter

Last edited by GOD on the 7th day
Well the problem I had was that on the Strat, the bridge had risen about an inch and half and when I tried to get it into Standard E tuning, the strings would go out of tune 5 seconds later and I thought cos there aren't springs in the bridge of a Les Paul, the bridge won't rise and therefore keep in tune.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

If you had that problem then you either need more springs or need to "block" the bridge which would make it a fixed bridge - no use of the tremolo..
I'd just be worried about damage to the neck more than anything.
If you want to go thicker, the LP would be able to take it pretty well just due to the scale length. On the strat there'd be alot more tension due to the longer scale length.

What gauge are you planning to put on btw?
peter

Last edited by pete_mack at Jun 22, 2008,
On my strat they are .13's. So maybe the same or a bit lighter maybe .12's. I like the strat and I wouldn't wanna risk damaging it since it's my first guitar (I've had it for 5 years this year).

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

I used to use the GHS Zakk Wylde strings and I think they were 12-60.
Used them twice and had no issues but I left it at that. Was sweet to have such thick strings but wouldn't risk it again. Like you, that was my first electric which I've had for about 10 years or so (got my Strat after 4 years of playing my acoustic)
Usually I use Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom Skinny Tops 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52.

Up to you where to go man. Choose wisely.
peter

You could consider the "standard" gauge for a Les Paul to be higher than on a strat due to the shorter scale length.

10's on a Les Paul will feel a little tighter than 9's on a Strat, but 9's may feel a bit loose to some players.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, the LP was my brothers (just a copy but I'm thinking about 'modding' it) but I purchased it of him and I like heavy gauge strings for some reason unbeknownst to me because I don't play metal which the strings are always associated to. But I shall go into town in the week and try it. Thanks for your help Peter!

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp