Fender bassman
5 7%
Blues Breaker
18 25%
Fender Twin Reverb
12 17%
Voters: 71.
Page 1 of 2
They're all particularly good for different kinds of classic rock.

Can you be more specific as to what music you play?
If you play more blues then i'd say fender bassman, but if you play more classic rock, i'd say either the AC30 or the blues breaker.

edit: i'm pretty sure blues breaker + tubescreamer = my ultimate rig lol
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 22, 2008,
I really like Jeff Beck (particuarly freeway jam) , Santana (the tone on Smooth), Clapton (His lead tone but not so much the woman tone) , Hendrix and Eric Johnsons lead tones,

The tone on the Sticky Fingers album by the rolling stones is really good and i like a nice rock rythem tone as well.
most of them use(d) marshalls in that sort of era i think (Late '60s early '70s?). I'm pretty sure clapton used a blues breaker while he was in cream although this could be the leftover flow of last night's alcohol talking. i think jeff beck has used them too. For those i'd say the blues breaker, basically
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by The_0thersid3
I really like Jeff Beck (particuarly freeway jam) , Santana (the tone on Smooth), Clapton (His lead tone but not so much the woman tone) , Hendrix and Eric Johnsons lead tones,

The tone on the Sticky Fingers album by the rolling stones is really good and i like a nice rock rythem tone as well.

You're going to need 5 different amps to get those tones but may I suggest a Mesa Boogie Mark i - iv? They cover just about everything.
^trying not to be a jerk here...

Jeff Beck - marshall
Santana - dumble?
Clapton - marshall
Hendrix - marshall
Eric Johnsons - marshall
rolling stones - no idea? i dont think keith himself even knew what amp he used back then

So from that it would sujjest i would be looking for a marshall but i know that fender bassman amps are similar and so might be suitable, also i think Vox amps are pretty versitile too and are a bit cheaper than the bluesbreaker so i just wanted to gather opinions on this really.

Thanks for your input - please remember i live in the UK so mesa might not be the best amp becasue they cost quite a bit over here.
Marshall JMP50
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Don't bother with the Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue, it's very inaccurate.

Clapton used Bluesbreakers and JTM45s a lot but also fender Tweeds and predominantly these days Victoria Tweed clones. Santana uses Boogies MK1s mostly (afaik) which are modded Fenders. As are Marshalls modded fenders...

Basically what i'm saying is, don't get a Marshall reissue of the Bluesbreaker/JTM, even though that's quite close to what you're after. I'd go for a Ceriatone clone of a Bassman, JTM45/Plexi or similar. The cab is all-important too. See if you can swing for a cab with Greenbacks, G12Hs or Alnico speakers of some sort.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by The_0thersid3
Eric Johnsons - marshall

He does use Marshall's, but getting a Marshall won't get you Eric's tone.

If you can stretch the budget a little further, I'd say you might find the Cornford Hurricane to be perfect for you, but if you decide that £1150 is too much, I'd say the BluesBreaker might be the model to go for.

Have you looked at the rest of the Marshall reissue series? I haven't myself, but the 1987 and the 2245 would both be within your price range if you got a 2x12 cab to go with them....
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
^ The Marshall clones would be better. Frankly Marshalls are overpriced, and the reissues are nowhere near as good as the quality and accuracy of the amps that come from Ceriatone, so for me it's a no-brainer.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ The Marshall clones would be better. Frankly Marshalls are overpriced, and the reissues are nowhere near as good as the quality and accuracy of the amps that come from Ceriatone, so for me it's a no-brainer.

Maybe, but I've never played a Ceriatone. I have played the 1959SLP reissue (probably out of his price range with a cab) and it was nice, but not amazing.

Do all Ceriatone's come as unassembled amp kits?
Nope, you can buy them prebuilt and get head cabs as well. They're better than the branded Marshalls for sure.

And yeah that's what you find with all the Marshall reissues. Nice, but not amazing. Not worth the money, overall.
Quote by MrCarrot
Nope, you can buy them prebuilt and get head cabs as well. They're better than the branded Marshalls for sure.

Seems like a viable option in that case I must say.
Laney VC30.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by esp1234
Where is the Classic 30
He has about 3 times the amount of money to spend as a Classic 30 costs, he can do better.
Thanks every one.

I think a marshall clone is the way forward so which one is the one to get?

Cornford Hurricane
Ceriatone (do they ship to england?)
Victoria
hiwatt...

...any others?

Can i have your guys opinions on some of these amps please?

Also this amp will be fore giging and loud rehersals only and must be able to handle being cranked (100 watts will probably be overkill though) i would get an attenuator(sp?) as well just incase.
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jun 23, 2008,
You should look into metro amps if you dont mind about making a kit.. They do a JTM 45 head kit for $950US and will ship for about $200 (not sure about tax in your country though). IT will be pretty much an exact replica of the JTM 45s of the day. Another thing to consider is that the JTM45 is a VERY similar circuit to the Tweed Bassman (it was Jim Marshalls favourite amp) and you will most likely get both sounds from the one head with different speakers.
^thats a useful post, i didnt really think about the cabs effecting the sound like that.

the fender uses 4X10s and the marshall 4X12 so i guess a good midway point would be a 2x12.

So is there any thing i can get in the UK similar to the marshall clones mentioned here?
i sujjested marshall earlier and people seem to be against them.

Eric johnson uses two hand wired amps currently by marshall.... we all know what hes like.

lack of EQ is a little ofputting but addition of two channels is good...
^^ Price... It's the EXACT same as any clone if not with poorer transformers and look at the price you can get a Ceriatone clone for.

Look at the price of Ceriatone shipping, they go to the UK, yeah, but it's a fair bit (worth it IMO).

From what I've heard an 18watt will handle gigging and everything perfectly but without any clean headroom. Look into the Ceriatone 36w - It's basically the 1987x, with double the power and an option for a 50% power switch. I can imagine that'd suit your style, although leaning more towards the dirty tones more... Maybe it'd be cool to look into a little Fender clone also?
Thats what i was thinking.

Get a marshall for distorted tones the later get a fender, possibly from trading away a couple of things like my dsl and a couple of cheaper guitars to help fund it.

that also has two channels wich could become useful, not sure how yet but its always good to have extras.

Right, where getting there but i need to try and find some where in England that sells them or something similar, im not keen on having to order it really.
I just want to see what options i have. what about matamp?
Matamp are meant to be amazing, they own orange and are insanely pricey. But good.
I've played a matamp little rock, it's similar to a Tiny Terror but it sounds much better.
Cool, they do seem very expensive but worth it.

Im kind of torn between a marshall clone and some thing by orange or matamp as i know that they are great and i can also try out an orange or matamp before hand which would be much more appropriate.

Either that or Vox amp wich is winning on the poll...

In an ideal world id get all four....
Haha

The Vox is great, but it's not really suited to all the artists you want to emulate..And also note how half the people don't even bother to contribute in the thread. I've not even voted on the poll.

An Orange Rocker 30 is always a brilliant choice for classic rock tone and is about £600 for the combo...
^Just what I thought! As most of you know, I'm a classic rocker and a freak for Clapton's tone (doing a CROTM on him) and basically wanted an amp that would give me THAT tone. I did even own a Plexi, but the Rocker 30 got me that tone (at least with a new speaker, with the G12H it's SPOT ON!)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah, I find no use in dual inputs at all.
Because i like being able to A/B/Y between then to create a further range of sounds, i like being able to seperate the channels in this way. its not essential i guess but it realy would be useful to blend the channels.

So what are your opinions on:
Ad50
Retro 50
Rocker 30
Rocker verb 50

For my style.
I think the AD50 would be best for classic rock, last time I check there wasn't even an AD50 though.
Page 1 of 2