Sometime after Christmas this year, I was searching through my attic (as you do) and i found my uncle's old guitar. Now my uncle died quite a while ago, so I felt that as a sort of tribute to the man I would do this guitar up.

It is a VOX les paul style guitar. Which I found very surprising seeing as I didn't know they made many guitars past those teardrop ones such as the one Ian Curtis used. I'm assuming that it was made in the '60s because of the looks of it and the fact that VOX rarely have made guitars past the 1970s.

It started like this:

The pickup in the brigde which you can see is a John Birch (not sure which model) and worked perfectly which pleased me quite a lot. The other pickup had been almost completely unraveled. Some of the electronics was working, but I gutted nearly all of that. Here is a list to my changes:

-New neck pick up - Seymour Duncan Mule humbucker
-Changed all the electronic wiring (I felt just incase it was very old and could break after a while)
-touched up the paint job
-fixed the tuners

those are all the major changes, but I've tried to keep it as it was and not do too much to it. The pickup is probably the most important change, but I would have loved to have both the vintage pickups instead of just the one.

here is what it looks like now:

It plays amazingly and I think that I have done what I set out to do and it would have made my uncle proud
"You have to be a bastard to make it, and that's a fact. And the Beatles are the biggest bastards on earth" - John Lennon
good job man. although, don't you have interests in modifying the headstock?
just kidding.

EDIT: ^ follow him
Last edited by batiboy06 at Jun 22, 2008,
wow dude, that looks nice! do you have any idea if it's worth anything? a little research wouldn't hurt
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Looks good glad you kept all you could will still making it more reliable with the new wiring

what was exactly wrong with the neck pickup?
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
Quote by bjovi400
wow dude, that looks nice! do you have any idea if it's worth anything? a little research wouldn't hurt

I'v tried to look into it, because I have the original case which is always a plus for anyone who is buying vintage guitars, but I haven't been able to find a solid figure really. I don't think I owuld sell it unleash I had to though, just because of its history

edit:

Quote by geetar_alex
Looks good glad you kept all you could will still making it more reliable with the new wiring

what was exactly wrong with the neck pickup?

It was physically destroyed, the coils for the electromagnet had been completely unravelled, and I personally have no knowledge of where to start in such a situation, and I felt that I should just try to get a very good pickup that could replicate the type of humbucker sound. What is quite funny is that the neck pickup is quite a bit louder than the bridge always funny when i forget to turn it down
"You have to be a bastard to make it, and that's a fact. And the Beatles are the biggest bastards on earth" - John Lennon
Last edited by whipwreck at Jun 22, 2008,