Hello, just wondering if anyone owns or has played a BC Rich Mockingbird ST? (http://www.bcrich.com/Mockingbird_st.asp) Unfortunately none of my Local guitar shops have one in stock so i cant go and play one myself, i want to know what it feels like, hows the Neck and how the construction quality is etc. etc.... I plan on swapping out the pickups anyway so im not entirely fussed if the stock 'Rockfield' pickups are crap...

any suggestions???
The feel is going to depend on the person, someone may like a thin neck and some don't, you can't know until you try it.
Quote by YoHendrix
any ideas on the quality of the guitar then??

It would most probably be good, if not brilliant.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i have an eagle nj classic nt, body shape is vaguely similar. eagle probably alittle heavier. the neck on mine is def. thicker than say a jackson, or ibanez. but its not really bad. my hand did not get fatigued while playing a long time. the action is low. my guitar has 11 `s on it , so bending was a little stiff at first. the tone is awesome, deep and somewhat dark. im thinking on changing out the bridge pup, but i havent fully made up my mind yet. i want to hear it over a real nice amp first.as mine are loaned out and all i got is a little peavey rage that im playing on. if the wood on your st is mahogany with a maple neck thru. then these 2 guitars should hve similar tone. idk about the pups, idk if mine are rockfield. i think mine are bcr. they are a little muddy but not too bad. all else i can think of is to go to the b.c. rich players forum and do a search on the mock st. hope i was able to help.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by mig-29
i have an eagle nj classic nt, body shape is vaguely similar. eagle probably alittle heavier. the neck on mine is def. thicker than say a jackson, or ibanez. but its not really bad. my hand did not get fatigued while playing a long time. the action is low. my guitar has 11 `s on it , so bending was a little stiff at first. the tone is awesome, deep and somewhat dark. im thinking on changing out the bridge pup, but i havent fully made up my mind yet. i want to hear it over a real nice amp first.as mine are loaned out and all i got is a little peavey rage that im playing on. if the wood on your st is mahogany with a maple neck thru. then these 2 guitars should hve similar tone. idk about the pups, idk if mine are rockfield. i think mine are bcr. they are a little muddy but not too bad. all else i can think of is to go to the b.c. rich players forum and do a search on the mock st. hope i was able to help.

interesting, yeah the specs sound similar. I prefer thicker necks anyway (got quite big hands) thanks for the info
Quote by Lil Macker
It would most probably be good, if not brilliant.

nice, but what makes you say that?
i played this and well quite honestly hated it,
construction was poor, bad tuning stability and akward to play!!
maybe thats just me but yer thats what i think

Dan
Quote by Dan818
i played this and well quite honestly hated it,
construction was poor, bad tuning stability and akward to play!!
maybe thats just me but yer thats what i think

Dan

go into Detail...what was bad about the construction quality?
My advice up front is just don't buy it. Try one out and you'll see why.

Check out my post in this thread:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896016&highlight=slash%27s+mockingbird

And keep in mind that I'm a rabid Mockingbird fan.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
four sticks i read your posting on the other thread, and im just wondering whats wrong with nato? my eagle is nato, is that not mahogany as advertised?
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by mig-29
four sticks i read your posting on the other thread, and im just wondering whats wrong with nato? my eagle is nato, is that not mahogany as advertised?

It was advertised as nato, and it is nato; they aren't trying to fool anyone. I only listed it as one of my gripes with the Mockingbird ST because I would much prefer mahogany. If the tonal difference between nato and mahogany doesn't bother you, though, then that specific critique shouldn't be a big concern for you. Honestly, one of my biggest turn offs to purchasing the guitar is the horrible "OFR," which to me is an automatic deal-breaker. And no, you shouldn't buy it and swap out the FR---it's just not worth it.

EDIT: Sorry, I mistakenly thought that last post was from the TS. mig-29, don't worry about your eagle. If you like the way it sounds and its a good guitar, it doesn't matter if it's nato. I personally just prefer mahogany, and--in the previous thread especially since the TS was looking for a guitar like the Mockingbird SL--the Mockingbird ST was notably different from the Mockingbird SL in its wood.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Last edited by FourSticks17 at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by FourSticks17
My advice up front is just don't buy it. Try one out and you'll see why.

Check out my post in this thread:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896016&highlight=slash%27s+mockingbird

And keep in mind that I'm a rabid Mockingbird fan.

hmmm interesting, so despite the fact it is called an Original Floyd Rose, its not an Original Floyd Rose? strange... so apart from the problem with the Floyd and the pointless Varitone etc. knobs is it a nice guitar?
Last edited by YoHendrix at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by YoHendrix
hmmm interesting, so despite the fact it is called an Original Floyd Rose, its not an Original Floyd Rose? strange... so apart from the problem with the Floyd and the pointless Varitone etc. knobs is it a nice guitar?

Like I said, the horrible floating tremolo is a deal breaker for me. If you've never dealt with the frustration of a horrible LFR, it's something that will completely destroy any enjoyment of a guitar for you.

And I can't confirm this myself, but I have been hearing that the discrepancy in these lousy "OFRs" is that Schaller has recently begun licensing out the "OFR" nametag to another company named Ping, which is not based in Germany and which has been producing ****ty trems. Again, I can't confirm that, but it would help to explain my experience and the experiences of others with this "OFR."

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by Iceman 420
Do you have a good amp?

Not at the moment, but i should be getting a Carvin MTS Combo. so back to guitars, im lookin for a Floyd equipped (preferably not strat shape) guitar for around £400 ($800)
yer the main problem i found was with the tremelo
its awful, any problem you can think probably had it

but then the other things were jus small and cosmetic really, but machine head stiff, volume/tone controls loose so jus span around etc etc
I have heard from an amazing guitar player with more than 20 years experiance buying and selling guitars, that the Bc Rich Mockingbird ST, SUCKS. The frets were terriblly done, the wiring was awful, the locking nut was fastened wrong, and the "original" floyd rose was in fact a licensed floyd. Better be safe than sorry. Go for a nice, more expensive Bc Rich. Great company but steer clear of that particular axe...
Quote by YoHendrix
anyone else know about this guitar?

I'm the same guy who posted before, but, again, my advice to you is to stay clear of the guitar.

I KNOW it looks great on paper--that's why I went to the store to try it out myself--but the fact of the matter is that it isn't a good guitar. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
i know i dont have the mocking bird, but i got a bcr that is made up of the same wood and so on, idk about pups. i also got big ole meat hooks for hands. i like mine, and i think it sounds great. in all honesty the frets are cheap compared to other imported guitars i`ve owned. but you gotta play one b-4 you shoot it down . you may hate it. but you may not.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
ok everyone, thanks for the info, I think im gonna stay away from this guitar. Maybe get a Gibson 67' Reissue Flying V