okay right now im working on a custom ibanez jem and i got a deal on ebay for three emg 81/85/81 pickups for about the price of two.

so what I want to do is take one of te 81's and stick it in the bridge of my les paul (custom)

i saw a video where a guy shaved up the emg so it could fit in a pickup cover which is what im gonna do

but my question is is what all do i need to make this mod possible
links would be helpful

I know i need 25k pots
and a sterio input jack

but anything else ?

i've never dealt with emgs before
What are you doing about the LP's neck pickup? Is that an active pickup already too? If it's a passive pickup, then there will be a huge volume drop between the bridge and neck pickups.

Also, are you sure you need active pickups? The point of actives (and high-output passive pickups) is to drive your amp harder when it's already maxed out; do you actually need to be driving your amp that hard? Are you using natural tube amp overdrive, or are you using pedals? If you're not actually using hard natural overdrive (maxing out your amp and then using high output pickups to drive it even harder), or if you're using pedals for overdrive/distortion instead of your guitar's output/maxing your amp, then active pickups (or high-output passive pickups) will be pointless for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
What are you doing about the LP's neck pickup? Is that an active pickup already too? If it's a passive pickup, then there will be a huge volume drop between the bridge and neck pickups..

exactly...you cant really have active and passive pickups in the same guitar
You can have active and passive in the same guitar but doesnt work very well. As it has seperate controls for neck and bridge the pots isnt an issue. You would be able to use the neck or the bridge not both at one time. And depending on your amp may or may not sound better. Thru a tube amp EMGs sound really good thru a SS dont sound good. Best just to hold on to the pickup for when you have the full set.
Quote by Tackleberry
You can have active and passive in the same guitar but doesnt work very well. As it has seperate controls for neck and bridge the pots isnt an issue. You would be able to use the neck or the bridge not both at one time. And depending on your amp may or may not sound better. Thru a tube amp EMGs sound really good thru a SS dont sound good. Best just to hold on to the pickup for when you have the full set.

emgs sound good though ss amps,they sound better though tube amps.
i have a line 6 spider halfstack and im just looking into the emgs to get that metal sound plus the warmth of the stock neck pickup

it will make it easier cause now if i want to go from classic to metal i have to adjust the tone to get what im looking for and the volume isnt an issue i dont play any gigs and i wont be seitching pickups in the middle of a song
Quote by crackereast
emgs sound good though ss amps,they sound better though tube amps.

NOTHING sounds good through SS amps.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Impress93
i have a line 6 spider halfstack and im just looking into the emgs to get that metal sound plus the warmth of the stock neck pickup

it will make it easier cause now if i want to go from classic to metal i have to adjust the tone to get what im looking for and the volume isnt an issue i dont play any gigs and i wont be seitching pickups in the middle of a song

EUWWWWWW

Sell that ****.

Get a blackheart 15W(it's class A, so that's 30W class AB, similar loudness to 50W SS head) handsome devil and a fender FM 4x12 speaker cabinet.
Marshallesque tone for about 600 bucks.
A halfstack worth having.

And Really, if you have a big volume drop between pickups, a clean boost would solve that. Get a DS-1 and mod it, you'll be fine.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
EMGs work really good for metal not so well for classic rock. And your not going to get much in the way of warmth from a spider amp. Pickups may be the wrong way to go in getting better tone. Its a modelling amp it should be able to do a facsimile of most tones.