Soup, /p/?

Basically, I've been trying my best to get a band on the right track for God knows how long. I'm pretty much dead-set on having a semi-succesful band, y'know, able to make a comfortable living and a dedicated fanbase. However, no-one around here has the drive or motivation that I do. I'm contemplating moving if the right opportunity came up, but I have no idea how I would finance it.

I've tried everything, I've adertised everywhere and I'm getting sick and tired of it. I've lived my whole life having to live for everyone else and I just want to follow my dream because I want my own way just ONCE. I don't want to be sat here at 40 years old wondering what could have been if I'd just done what I want to do.

Anyone going to offer any advice?
i've been in the same situation, you have to just keep pushing, if there not as stuck on it as you, ask them why and figure out their problem, or just drop them and find more comitted ones. Maybe your standards are too high? Try joining another band? Or merging with another band?

And yeh moving is also a choice, but how'd ya know it wont be the same? If you do move, move into a culture city, because there's bounds to be lots of bands riding the gravy train there to get noticed, good luck
my band was like yours and now were on the same page. dont worry youll find guys that will want to be in a succsessful band with you
Don;t change your situation to fit your dream
change your dream to fit your situation

or maybe that's horrible advice
i'm no good at this
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
Quote by Aidy Damage
Soup, /p/?

What? /p/? This is not 4chan.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Whine whine whine blame everyoneone else whine whine

Nancy. Dirt. Rubbing.

You know what to do.
Don't give up on your dream.

If you must, move.

I also advise putting ads up all over the place. And if all else fails, record backing tracks ahead of time, get a loop pedal, and play live by feeding the backing tracks through the pedal whilst just doing vocals/guitar. I plan to do this at some point. Look up KT Tunstall on wikipedia, I think she used to do that when she was starting out. Anyway, I've seen someone do it using a keyboard where I would use a loop pedal, and it seemed to work.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Milesthedude
What? /p/? This is not 4chan.

The Pit starts with P and imitates /b/ a lot. I believe it was something we like to call a joke. They can often be based on wordplay, such as in this instance.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I've already put up posters everywhere, advertised on endless amounts of websites, played acoustic gigs and tried to find people that way... everything. After 3 years of not having a stable band, I'm still by myself.
Quote by dunkelblau

i'm no good at this

yes you are terrible at it, fight for your dream, Dont ever let it go.

Live your dream, keep going at it until you get it, otherwise, why bother with life if you cant follow through on the things you want to do?
please tell me you didnt just liken the pit to /b/....
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Last edited by x0rsist at Jun 22, 2008,
I'm planning to latch onto the success of other musicians.

It's probably a pretty good way of getting to know other musicians, by being around other people who take it seriously, even if they already have commitments, would be a great way of hopefully meeting some people who will want to start something.
There's bound to be other people in your situation...

You mentioned moving, and that'd also be a pretty good way. If you start saving up to rent a place somewhere, then you could use the internet or trips down there to find a flat and get a job lined up...

Playing solo gigs is another way of meeting musicians and getting yourself known in the scene...so if you can write some solo material then do that and go play some support slots locally

Hope I helped...that's pretty much just the way I've planned to go about it, so might not work for everyone
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Same problem.

My brothers a bassist so all i need is a singer and a drummer. and maybe another guitarist.

I'd say post ads in every shop you can think of, and start doing your songs just acoustic and say that you want to transfer them in to a full electric songs. If people like your stuff and can see your vision they'll try out.

Thats what i plan to do anyway.
Aidy, move to Eau Claire Wisconsin and start a band with me.

PS what type of music do you want to play?
My first band are getting very un-motivated and like yours but i'm joining another one which seems to have more passion but I'm still not giving up on my first band, you shouldn't either.
If you come live in Manchester then we can play Rock N Roll covers of Misfits songs and make a fortune from old people who don't know that we're singing about raping mothers and killing babies. Just a suggestion, m'dear .
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
I want to play alt. rock stuff á la Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Placebo etc, just a little heavier- listen to SP's heavier stuff for a good idea. I sing and, well, you know- why else would I use this forum?

The US will be difficult to get to, financially. Also, I has no passport yet!
You're in luck, as I have a homosexual crush on Muse. You always have another guitarist in EC, WI (who tries to sing). I also have a drumset from when I was in a punk band in high school, which is cool. It's sparkly green.
Ever jammed with Alix_D?

isn't suggesting people without their knowing at all
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
I don't believe I have... he's a sextacular bassist.

I'll hit that mofo up and see if he's up for it.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I want to play alt. rock stuff á la Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Placebo etc, just a little heavier- listen to SP's heavier stuff for a good idea. I sing and, well, you know- why else would I use this forum?

The US will be difficult to get to, financially. Also, I has no passport yet!

I like all those bands. I live in South East England. I can play bass...

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I like all those bands. I live in South East England. I can play bass...

Let's skip through flowers together and form a band. Message/massage me.
All i can really think of is advertising at places like universities and colleges were people are studying music because then you will know that they would be at a high level and they would be serious about it
Quote by hb15577
All i can really think of is advertising at places like universities and colleges were people are studying music because then you will know that they would be at a high level and they would be serious about it

If I had a penny for evey time I've tried that, I'd be a millionnaire.
Quote by dunkelblau

i'm no good at this

That's really, really bad advice.

Yeah, join the other band, but don't leave the other one until you're sure the new band is what you want.

EDIT: Oop, wrong thread, there isn't another band. Um, learn every instrument yourself and make music on your own, get a backing band for touring and make the backing band become a full band. I'm not sure who did that exactly but I'm sure someone I know of did.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by Aidy Damage
Let's skip through flowers together and form a band. Message/massage me.

Check your massa- I mean, messages.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by whalepudding
That's really, really bad advice.

Yeah, join the other band, but don't leave the other one until you're sure the new band is what you want.

If I left my other 'band', I'd just run in circles because I'd be leaving only myself.