just to broaden my horizons or w/e :P

so a couple of questions
any suggestions for a decent bass for under £200
and
can i play bass thru my guitar amp
which is a marshall mg30dfx
which is not brilliant

thanks for ur help
check out the FAQ stickied at the top of the bass forum page. It will answer all of your questions and probably a lot of other questions you'll end up asking over the next few weeks as you consider the bass.
yeah i would go with a starter pack by ibenez

and nooooooo you will destroy your guitar amp if you try to play bass on it
the guitar apm is made to play high frequency's and the bass amp is made for much much lower ones and your bass would blow your guitar amp
Quote by oscar666
soooo
im thinking about maybe getting a bass guitar for my birthday
i play guitar
but id be interested in learning to play bass
just to broaden my horizons or w/e :P

so a couple of questions
any suggestions for a decent bass for under £200
and
can i play bass thru my guitar amp
which is a marshall mg30dfx
which is not brilliant

thanks for ur help

Nice one on picking up bass, always good to see someone else joining us!

To answer your questions, try out a few Squiers, maybe the Vintage Modified Series P and J Bass. I've heard great things about them, maybe someone with one could let you know how they are. Ibanez also make decent starter basses, I think the GSR range are the basses I'm on about. Your best bet is to just go and try out anything and everythig in your budget and pick your favourite from them.

And, no, you shouldn't play your bass through a guitar amp. It sucks your low end from your tone, and while it may be Ok at the beginning, prolonged use of a bass through a guitar amp will damage the speaker(s) of the amp as they aren't tailored for the frequencies a bass produces. You might be better of going for a starter pack if you have a budget of £200, as you'll get an amp and decent enough bass to get you going.

Hope that helps mate, let us know when you pick your bass up
ok guys
thanks for all that
i didnt even notice the FAQ thread, hence why i didnt read it so u can go ahead and ignore this thread now lol

im still considering the bass and i think ill probz just end up with some sort of started pack
but i dunno
ill let you know wt happens
thanks
You should look at ordering an Ibanez starter pack over Musiciansfriend, like go to an ibanez dealer and try some out then if you like them you can order it, its WAY cheaper and free shipping
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.