when a chord is written out with a triangle and then the 7, is it a dominant or major 7?

ex: is A^7 an A dominant7, or an A major7?
A with a seven next to it means domninant seven. If it had a M somewhere in there Like A7M or AM7 then it is major seven.

My bad forgot the triangle part. I think it's major but no sure. My teacher said it might also be augmented.
Don't know. Have you got the chord boxes there? Also if you know the melody and accompanying harmony of the song you should be able to work it out by ear. Try both chords and if one doesn't sound right then it must be the other.

A dom7

-

A major 7

-
id guess augmented aswell but i duno
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
It means major. I asked this question a while ago. Some people prefer it so they don't have two letters in a row, like AM7. Some people don't like that (I don't), so they use Delta, or maj.

AM7
Amaj7
AΔ7

Your choice, really.
To clarify, something to keep in mind is that the delta symbol (Δ refers ONLY to the extension and not the tonality of the chord. It doesn't have to be a major chord, you're just throwing a M7 extension on top of whatever chord you already have, for example, CmΔ would be a Cm major seventh. Only the extension is given by the Δ; the tonality of the triad below it is unchanged.