Well I've seen a video of Eric Clapton doing it way before either of them.
Richards probably got there first. In the Cretaceous period.

Will that man ever die or will he simply slowly mummify?

Btw, he got done for smoking in public in Edinburgh, I think it was, when he had a fag in his headstock.
I doubt a famous player was the first to do it. I'd say it was done pretty much the same time as the electric guitar was introduced.
Quote by Kumanji
Richards probably got there first. In the Cretaceous period.

Will that man ever die or will he simply slowly mummify?

Btw, he got done for smoking in public in Edinburgh, I think it was, when he had a fag in his headstock.

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I saw it at frank zappa the first time^^
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
I remember seeing clapton and jack bruce having cigarettes in their instruments (cream, 1968 around that time) so they may have been the first
I do it sometime s>.> Wut? I got it form my guitar teacher when we jammed acoustics on the couch passing joitns back and forth.
Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Jimi Hendrix were the first to do it, but its pretty much been arouind ever since someone smoked before playing guitar
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
Yeah, Jack Bruce in that "Sunshine of your love" video, probably around 1968 when it was released.
ive seen roger waters do it but with a joint
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Yup, it was a Keith Richards thing.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
First time I saw it at a gig was Eric Sardinas, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't some old blues man back in the 30's or something.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by gtrfrk123

no you havn't
pink floyd are better than you
Quote by gtrfrk123

a hand rolled cigarette maybe, but not a joint, Roger Waters didn't really do drugs unless he felt compelled to for social reasons.

As for the cigarette thing, I've seen seen old pictures of bluesmen doing it in the 40s, I've done before but usually I just keep the cigarette in my mouth, like Slash.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm