Hello, a few years back when i was 12, ((15 now)) my grandad gave me a hank marvin squire,.

I can't seem to find much at all about the guitar, all i know is, it was made in 91/92 ?

but i cannot find anything about this guitar at all,

could anybody please give me some information about this guitar ?
i would be greatful,

thanks,
mike
Mikey
I own one, and had similar difficulty getting information on it.

They were made by Fender Japan (to a very high standard) in 1991/1992, and were limited to a run of 1500. Though under the Squier name, the quality of these the Marvin signiture are often thought to be higher than the MIJ Fenders by collectors.

I'm still unsure if the body is alder or basswood as most MIJ strats are. I could strip the paint to see, but I'd rather not.

I'm never selling mine, I hope you aren't thinking of selling yours either.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Thankyou Very much, only 1500 made, . are they rare or something now, if it were to sell, how much COULD it sell for ??

if it is rare, i probly wouldnt sell it. thanks for the info
Mikey
Last edited by mikeshecter92 at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by mikeshecter92
Thankyou Very much, only 1500 made, . are they rae or something now, if it were to sell, how much COULD it sell for ??

if it is rare, i probly wouldnt sell it. thanks for the info

They're pretty rare. You probably won't get a fair price for one unless you're selling to somebody who knows what they're getting, like an MIJ collector or an owner who sold one not knowing what he had. Most will just see the "Squier" logo and dismiss it instantly.

If I were you I'd hang on to it. I wish I could find another one for sale, they're very special guitars. I'd say that after I get it refretted, I'll use mine much more often than my MIA strat or my Ibanez Jem. At the moment it's just sitting in it's cased waiting to be brough back to glory.
The Hank Marvin Squier Strat from 1992 came only in Fiesta Red (I think) ... which get Orangey with age. It was based off the '58 Fender Strat but was made of Basswood by Squier.

They do show up every so often as collectibles. The last "low" price I saw in Japan was ~$350. Outside of Japan, the prices vary widely.

Quote by Ippon
The Hank Marvin Squier Strat from 1992 came only in Fiesta Red (I think) ... which get Orangey with age. It was based off the '58 Fender Strat but was made of Basswood by Squier.

I knew it was based on a '58, but thanks for mentioning that it's basswood.

Quote by Prophet of Page
I knew it was based on a '58, but thanks for mentioning that it's basswood.

Even some of the MIJ and CIJ Fenders are made of Basswood and they are pretty solid beasts. But, for some more traditionally-inclined, it can be a major issue. Different strokes, for different folks ... preferences and all that.

Quote by Jackolas
Sounds like something to hold on to, hows it sound and play?

Well, mine was a stunning player before the last luthier I had refret it did a terrible job. Soundwise the stock pickups were nice, but a little on the noisy side. The body resonates well, you know there's an inherent living tone in the guitar. No other strat I've played could compare to it at it's best, and I've played real pre-CBS strats and alot of high end custom shop models.
Quote by Ippon
Even some of the MIJ and CIJ Fenders are made of Basswood and they are pretty solid beasts. But, for some more traditionally-inclined, it can be a major issue. Different strokes, for different folks ... preferences and all that.

Most MIJs are actually basswood I'm told (from an MIJ collector). It doesn't upset me in the slightest, might actually explain the singing quality of the tone.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Well, mine was a stunning player before the last luthier I had refret it did a terrible job. Soundwise the stock pickups were nice, but a little on the noisy side. The body resonates well, you know there's an inherent living tone in the guitar. No other strat I've played could compare to it at it's best, and I've played real pre-CBS strats and alot of high end custom shop models.

And this is why I'd only consider a re-fret as a last resort and by somebody familiar with vintage guitars. Your horror story made me say Gosh darn it to heck.
Quote by Ippon
And this is why I'd only consider a re-fret as a last resort and by somebody familiar with vintage guitars. Your horror story made me say Gosh darn it to heck.

Thankfully I've found a luthier whose work I've been very impressed by, I'll be leaving the guitar with him next month to strip the neck laquer (did I mention the last idiot relaquered against my wished without stripping the old laquer?), relaquer with a thin nitro finish and refret with some nice jumbo frets.

I'm also going to fit some hardware from Callaham guitars myself, and switch the current pickups I've in it (not the stock ones) to a Kinman Marvin signiture set. The second tone will be wired to the bridge pickup and the volume pot will be a push/pull toggling the bridge pickup independent of what's on the 5-way.

Moral of the story, never take your guitar to a luthier without having seen the quality of their work.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Thankfully I've found a luthier whose work I've been very impressed by, I'll be leaving the guitar with him next month to strip the neck laquer (did I mention the last idiot relaquered against my wished without stripping the old laquer?), relaquer with a thin nitro finish and refret with some nice jumbo frets.

I'm also going to fit some hardware from Callaham guitars myself, and switch the current pickups I've in it (not the stock ones) to a Kinman Marvin signiture set. The second tone will be wired to the bridge pickup and the volume pot will be a push/pull toggling the bridge pickup independent of what's on the 5-way.

Moral of the story, never take your guitar to a luthier without having seen the quality of their work.

Nice! What are you doing with the Squier bridge after the Callaham upgrade? I'm thinking the stock trem block is the beefy one, unlike the puny ones on MII and MIC Squiers.

Quote by Ippon
Nice! What are you doing with the Squier bridge after the Callaham upgrade? I'm thinking the stock trem block is the beefy one, unlike the puny ones on MII and MIC Squiers.

It'll go up in the box in my wardrobe where all the other original parts I've changed have went, like the pickups and pots. It's the big block, and it has a nice piano like sound, but stability wise the trem leaves something to be desired.

I think that since I can't make it a stock signiture model anymore, I'd be best off making it a fitting tribute to what it once was.