Okay I'm a complete beginer and this is my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Valveking 212

I live in the kind of houses that are joined together (townhouses) so even if i go and turn my stereo up more than half my neibhors can hear it. As of right now I havent even turned the amp past 1.5 on the clean channel and .5 on the lead channel Should I go back to GC and return it and get something smaller and crappier? What are some alternative to this amp? My styles are metal (modern progressive/thrash), hard rock (grunge,desert), shred.
^ you cant do headphones with a valveking i dont think

try possibly an attenuator to get driven tones at lower volumes
NOPE
are you planning on gigging? or joining a band? if so, look into saving up a bit for a cheap little practice amp for home. if not, you might want to downsize. the valveking112 miight be more house friendly, but there are some nice little amps out there that are worth a look at.
yeah get headphones or say f***k you to your neighbors and crank that b***h up and blow a hole through the wall
i mean i got the amp to 2 and my amp is right next to my tv like 8 feet away and i think my tv was about to implode If i get a smaller amp what do you guys think about these Roland Cube or the Vox AD30
I tried posting but got froze up so i'm trying again. For those that said use headphones, they don't know what they are talking about. Unless an amp specifically has a headphone jack you could seriously damage your amp or headphones. Solid State amps and many Hybrid amps have headphone jacks because they have a solid state power section.

Tube amps have a tube/valve amp power section and the tubes load the speaker directly.

The attenuator is a great idea if you want to keep this amp and can't find a better solutions. The speaker motor version like this:
http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Also the TS, the 212 is overkill imo. If anything trade it in for 112 and see if that is better. Otherwise, try this: ...(I hope I don't get froze up again)

use second input jack (on right)
set Texture control to 'A' (prolly won't do much)
turn gain down on amp and use guitar volume
turn gain boost off (in know, not the answer)
put a towel over the front (not the back)
set the amp up off the floor so you can hear it better without cranking.

Let me know what you think and seriously consider trading down to 112.
311zoso
well i was gonna go with the 112 which was 430, but the other option was the 212 for 450 so it kinda was OBVIOUS to go wit the 212...
the roland cubes are pretty sweet little amps. if you're going to get rid of the peavey, or buy a second amp for practice, i'd definitely recommend them.
Quote by amd123
well i was gonna go with the 112 which was 430, but the other option was the 212 for 450 so it kinda was OBVIOUS to go wit the 212...

Right, but you just said you live in a townhouse so to me the obvious choice is the 112. And i'm not sure where you live but they are pretty much $399 here in the States and the 112 is 50 watts less and about 20 lbs lighter. I would take it back and talk them down to $400 on the 112 and then maybe get Bad Monkey OD or $50.

just my opinion
+1 on the cube for home practice levels. Keep the VK for practice with a drummer/band situations.
im thinking about trading my vk212 for a b52 at 112 (more suited for modern metal)
Quote by amd123
yeah my bro plays drums...

At the townhouse? Where? In the garage? Can you return the VK? If so yes otherwise you will take a loss. If you can't return it for full price, you will lose more selling it than a MicroCube costs. So you would be better off getting another amp.
Quote by amd123
im thinking about trading my vk212 for a b52 at 112 (more suited for modern metal)

That wouldn't be a bad idea there. 50 watts isn't much quieter that 100 so you'll still probably have to invest in something like an attenuator or just keep the volume low.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by amd123

never been a fan of b52s, and they have a very shaky quality record. you said you were thinking about the cube, yes? i'd go for that.
sell it and buy a blackheart and a nice OD
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by phoenix_88
never been a fan of b52s, and they have a very shaky quality record. you said you were thinking about the cube, yes? i'd go for that.

Cube over at112? sounds questionable to me.
I'd say go for at112.
As for soundproofing, you could do a box with the front cut off, still extending about a foot or two past the front, (if that makes sense) then point the front away from their house.
yeah, amd123 if you are within 30 days like i think you are you can return it th GC no questions asked and get something else. If you are outside of 30 days then don't take it there, you would be better off selling it 'like new' on craigslist or something.

true, 100 watts is not that much louder than 50 but i figured with a lower headroom ceiling he wouldn't have to crank it as much. I have the volume on 4 all the time and I don't think I'm bothering anybody.