Page 1 of 2
If I started making blogs, condensing important Philosophical issues in easy to read formats, would what the general consensus be? Would people be genuinely interested?

EDIT:

I basically want to bring more philosophy to UG. I shall be covering famous points and a few areas of studying, understanding or concepts in simple no more than three to five minutes reading. I shall be covering areas in morality, epistemology (theory of knowledge), religion, and more.
Last edited by Craigo at Jun 22, 2008,
My interest has been perked
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
I would take a look yeah
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nope, because I find a lot of "philosophy" blogs to be feeble attempts at being pseudo-intellectual better than thou kind of affairs, so I don't read them anymore. Not saying yours will be, just going by previous experience.

It's not gonna be a philosophy blog, it's gonna be more philosophy lessons in bite size chunks, tried to be made easier to understand.

I basically just wanna try to bring philosophy to UG
i would definitely, i would also hlpe out if you would like
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
wow i'd be very interested. I've taken huge interest in reasons for thing happening lately and morals of things we do.
Sure I'll throw in some things too
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by cooper512
wow i'd be very interested. I've taken huge interest in reasons for thing happening lately and morals of things we do.

Normative ethics are awful

But, sure. Alright, any requests for a first blog before I write one later?
I might read it if I were bored. And since I only come on UG when I'm bored...

I find philosophy interesting anyway, so I'd probably read it regardless.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Craigo
Normative ethics are awful

So you're going to go a series of blogs ALL on meta ethics?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Im a huge fan of philosophical writing and psychological ideas that interlink. If its something that gives me ideas, makes me think and i can respond to, by all means, great!
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Quote by Yngwi3
So you're going to go a series of blogs ALL on meta ethics?

I might shed some light on Kantian ethics, as there are some good points made in it and it is the best of all meta ethic theories, as terrible as they all are. No others.

I'll include a History of Virtue ethics sometime, I'm sure many would find that interesting.
Quote by Taylor704
Im a huge fan of philosophical writing and psychological ideas that interlink. If its something that gives me ideas, makes me think and i can respond to, by all means, great!

I know what I could write on that, and, if people are interested, yeah I could do some stuff on the interaction between the mind and body.
Lots of people write UG blogs on (pseudo)philosophy or theology. I'm sure someone likes reading that crap. I might read them and complain about them.
Quote by smb
Lots of people write UG blogs on (pseudo)philosophy or theology. I'm sure someone likes reading that crap. I might read them and complain about them.

Alright, if you think they're that bad, I'll PM you when they're up so you can complain.

I'm adding you as a friend and making a note to my dyspraxic self so I can remember later
Quote by Craigo
I might shed some light on Kantian ethics, as there are some good points made in it and it is the best of all meta ethic theories, as terrible as they all are. No others.

Indeed, Kant's ideas are... let's call them 'usable', they make sense. The only problem is that they contradict his epistomological (monster-word, ain't it?) work completely. You read one thing, then you read the other and are like 'wait, wtf?!'.

Anyway, looking forward to it. Tell us when you've got something online, okay?
Philosophy is one of those things...like how studying music theory ruins your enjoyment of punk I've never really enjoyed reading pop-philosophy or people's "theories" on the internet after A-level.
Quote by smb
Philosophy is one of those things...like how studying music theory ruins your enjoyment of punk I've never really enjoyed reading pop-philosophy or people's "theories" on the internet after A-level.

Well, Craigo is not going to write about his own thoughts, but will try to explain what the philosophical Greats have written. At least that's what I gathered.
I might take a look, but i have a feeling it wont be all too amazing. These things usually arent.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, Craigo is not going to write about his own thoughts, but will try to explain what the philosophical Greats have written. At least that's what I gathered.
I haven't read any of his posts...I was just putting the idea out there. If he enjoys dissecting Kant then all power to him. I haven't touched that stuff since I did my A2 ethics coursework nearly four years ago
Quote by smb

Like Quailman said, this will not express my opinions. As opinionated as they will get will be pros and cons for ideas.
Quote by smb
I haven't read any of his posts...I was just putting the idea out there. If he enjoys dissecting Kant then all power to him. I haven't touched that stuff since I did my A2 ethics coursework nearly four years ago

I'm moving onto A2, but I read outside of it. If you want, tell me what you've done and I'll try to do something which might interest you outside the realms of what you've done.
Quote by Craigo

I'll include a History of Virtue ethics sometime, I'm sure many would find that interesting.

Sounds good.
Virtue ethics is quite good in principle, but I think it's quite hard to actually execute it. Kantian ethics is good too, although I don't like them as I don't agree with Kant's ideas of absolutism.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

In my philosophy. philosophy is bull****.

There's no meaning to life. We make our own meaning.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
In my philosophy. philosophy is bull****.

There's no meaning to life. We make our own meaning.

Please, educate me ohh great one

Philosophy is vaster than you know. You've outlined a field of philosophy called existentialism actually, don't think your ideas are outlandish.
Quote by Craigo
I'm moving onto A2, but I read outside of it. If you want, tell me what you've done and I'll try to do something which might interest you outside the realms of what you've done.
Fair enough...I probably came across as an arse in my last few posts - sorry about that. Write about whatever you want - I'm sure it'll lead to an interesting debate
Quote by smb
Fair enough...I probably came across as an arse in my last few posts - sorry about that. Write about whatever you want - I'm sure it'll lead to an interesting debate

Not a problem

I'm not looking for debates, but they are more than welcome by far, just to teach people Philosophy.

I shall be writing on Foundationalism, Empiricism and Rationalism tonight. I shall be making another thread for feedback, making sure it's written in a easy to read manner. I know those who know philosophy will know these subjects well, but I'd love their input anyway. What do people think?
Quote by Craigo

care to explain those?
wikipedia seems to explain things in a pretty verbose way
and my school doesnt offer a philosophy class
which sucks pretty hard..
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
I'm taking A-level Philosophy next year so i'd be interested. i'm sure it would help me get a head start

There's a LOT to do. But it is very interesting. It makes you far more logical and your ability to argue a point coherantly gets far better
Craigo - I like this idea. Mind if I chip in a few things?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
I'm taking A-level Philosophy next year so i'd be interested. i'm sure it would help me get a head start

Philosophy at A Level is awesome, you'll love it. You'll find it hard at first, but, it comes naturally as you develop. I'll also make you better at arguing and thinking sub conscientiously
Quote by Yngwi3
Just a word of warning: There's a LOT to do. But it is very interesting.
Craigo - I like this idea. Mind if I chip in a few things?

A. I didn't find there's a lot to do They've also DRAMATICALLY cut down the course which I'm not happy about (not in a, 'MY A LEVEL WAS HARDER' way, but in a 'dammit, they're missing out on loads of cool shit' kinda way).

B. And sure, why not? If I do the first one, you can let me know what you think about it, and we can juggle ideas. We could also do this with gonzaw, he'd love to help, plus loves the subject and is so well educated in it.

I'd also like to point out that this is also for my own good. I wanna do some more reading, so I'll use this to force myself to read into philosophy more
Quote by digimon go!
care to explain those?
wikipedia seems to explain things in a pretty verbose way
and my school doesnt offer a philosophy class
which sucks pretty hard..

I'll do some ethics if virtue goes well.

I'll save Kantian ethics for later blogs as it is harder to grasp...
I'd read 'em. It's so hard for me to get my hands on even the most base-line philosophy in book stores or even on-line.

Though I recently found an excellent link to some of Bertrand Russell's and Schopenhauer's writings, if anyone is interested.

Quote by smb

I don't think so. Music theory doesn't grapple with the very fabric of life. I think exploring something one does a lot (i.e. live) is very important.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Last edited by JamesDouglas at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by cagnius
Commendable idea but how can you ensure the academic continuity and quality needed to ensure a neutral approach to these topics?

I hope you'll be looking at Twining and Bentham for Foundationalism.

Everyone knows that philosophy isn't academic, it's low-brow and approachable!
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Page 1 of 2