i'm a guitarist at heart, but my friend left his warwick over here so i've been jammin on it a lot. i've got this huge blister (and actually missing skin on top of my index, middle and ring finger, from slapping and popping)

my question is should i break it and keep playing, or just play with it anyways...i know it's only going to get bigger/worse.

haha thanks
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
if your getting blisters from slapping and popping you doing it wrong
pop the blister and stop playing for a few days.
take a look at some of the slapping and popping lessons as well.
Quote by 666hamish666
take a look at some of the slapping and popping lessons as well.

+1
I got a blister once, by playing Superheroes by Racer X. The intro part ripped my ring finger apart (not anymore though, I changed my technique), and I didn't notice it until I was done practicing. I popped the blister, and I couldn't play properly for a whole week because it hurt so ****ing bad. Be prepared for a long week without practicing dude...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
actually what I do is pop the blister and cover the wound with super glue. Yes it may sound retarded but the glue actually acts as a band-aid and within 36 hours the wound will be nearly healed. Also works well with cuts.
i think the blister is just cause i dont slap and pop that often. i'm pretty sure my technique is right, i've watched a lot of videos and practiced a whole lot over the years, just haven't played in several months. but like i said i dont ususally play bass, so you guys are probably saying this cause your index finger on your right hand is callused, mines not, cause i play guitar.

and when i go to pop the D string the top of my index, middle and ring, sometimes rub up against the G string cause i dont always hit it right, its sloppy a lot of the time. but i'm 90% sure i know how to slap and pop right.
Last edited by Three11Rules at Jun 22, 2008,
I have that too, but it came from playing five hours last thursday and that was because the amp my friend gave me was a ****ty one, and I had to bang on those strings like a lunatic.

You don't have to pop the blister if you don't want to practice for awhile
that's the thing though i do want to play!

do i pop it then superglue or just superglue, or what?
Quote by Three11Rules
that's the thing though i do want to play!

do i pop it then superglue or just superglue, or what?

We've all been through the blister stage- it's a rite of passage for bassists (although ripping up your skin slapping is bordering on masochism). Play through the pain. And don't bother slapping until you have the basics down, and have someone show you how to do it properly
Quote by Deliriumbassist
We've all been through the blister stage- it's a rite of passage for bassists (although ripping up your skin slapping is bordering on masochism). Play through the pain. And don't bother slapping until you have the basics down, and have someone show you how to do it properly

you're still dancing around the question, do i just leave it and play? or do i get rid of it and superglue or bandaid?

and i taught my bassist of my band how to slap like 3 years ago, he's perfected it now and coached me in getting the technique right. we've both been playing for about five years. i'm just slapping sloppily and missing the string sometimes and thats how the skin is getting rubbed off. oh well.
I had a blister on my thumb for about 3/4 weeks from playing chords, best thing to do is just suck it up and keep playing
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I can bend the e string slightly past the d string with just my one finger.

This ability came out of just randomly bending strings for about 15 mins one day, and I never felt more than a momentary sting until after I put the Bass back on its stand (it is probably because my fingertips are basically calluses with nails).

Now I rarely slap and pop (I sometimes pop all four strings as hard as I can to make my amp cause a mild seismic wave), but I do not think blistering should occur unless he was trying to pull those strings off or dent the body.
Last edited by RockDJ at Jun 23, 2008,
you know what the superglue thing may not be a bad idea ive never thought of it before but i have gotten superglue on my fingers before and it does a good job of staying on for days and it would cover a wound. I just dont know how hygienic that would be though.
Quote by HeavyDT
I just dont know how hygienic that would be though.

Then there is the risk of poisoning yourself...
instead of superglue use that liquid bandage stuff they have now... it insures that an infection doesn't set
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
instead of superglue use that liquid bandage stuff they have now... it insures that an infection doesn't set

... and that you don't poison yourself.

Why does no one seem understand this but me?
You shouldn't pop blisters unless your going to cover it with something incase it gets infected.
Down from the Glen came the Marching Men
With their sheilds and their swords
To fight the fight they believed to be right
Overthrow the overlords...
Quote by Gazwj
You shouldn't pop blisters unless your going to cover it with something incase it gets infected.

+1

Theres puss under that blister for a reason, its to heal the skin underneath.. People have been known to get minor infections because of popping blisters (me included)
My opinion on this is if a blister appears and it hurts ALOT stop playing for a day (or just work on your fretting if you're desperate) and wait till it doesnt hurt anymore, even if you can still see the blister. Start playing again and then by the next day, blister will be gone and you have skin on your finger that is twice as thick and hard as before, with no ripping.
At the moment I have mad epic thick skin on the side of my thumb joint.
Im still a n00b and this works for me.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

^Listen to this man.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by RockDJ
Then there is the risk of poisoning yourself...

This. Most superglue is labelled toxic, so I wouldn't put it in a wound.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Popping a blister is fine, and shouldn't get infected if you're hygienic.

And what if you are not so hygienic, I mean I work with coal during Saturdays (loading it on the wagons for a reasonable price)? And if I pop my blister by accident during the process of loading coal will I have to worry about it?
your technique is not wrong, its probably just the amount you've been doing. your fingers are most likely not as thick a someone who plays bass regularly, and as a result you got a blister. I got one or two when i started playing slap and pop, and after it never happened again.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
lol i love it when guitaist try to play bass they think they being clever when really they end up hurting them selves and moaning about it on forums
Put your blister over a fire, so the liquid underneath evaporates through the skin...........................................(dont actually do that)
So I just got much more interested in slap today and ended up with a blister, which will get me back playing bass quicker - popping it and using a bandaid or just leaving it and not playing (every time I've just played through the blister I ended up popping the blister while playing and the blister usually came back or left a bit of really sensitive skin).

tl;dr : Does a blister heal more quickly if you pop it or not?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I remember when i was a freshman, this kid who was better than me told me to keep playing even if i had blisters and i did. eventually i developed callous but people are different so do what flea did and play with tape wrapped on your fingers. last time i played a show i started bleeding and switched to a pick(my cut was pretty deep, it hurt like a mother)
just be glad you aren't getting one under your fingernail...
worst bass blister ever...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
just be glad you aren't getting one under your fingernail...
worst bass blister ever...

+ 1.7

I once got a blister right underneath the edge of my fingernail, where skin meets nail
Very painful for some reason.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

You get blisters doing slap and pop? Maybe there's something wrong with your technique.
Here it is.
Just use a needle to pop the blisters on your fingers and slap it flat so that the liquid inside is purge out. Haha. Then continue playing! What're you waiting for! You got a warwick here pal! You're so lucky.
Hmm I know this is off the topic but...

Whilst I was waiting for that blister to heal, I used a pick A LOT. That really helped me to improve my pick style, even tough I am not a pick bass player. But I am grateful for it. Who knows, some day I might need that picking technique.
I agree with 36mikeyb36.

I have been playing for years, in front of big crowds and I am a huge funk player. I slap and pop and STILL get blisters. There's no "wrong" way of doing things like a lot of people on here are saying. There's your way, and if it sounds good, do it. I get blisters even after years of playing, if I don't play bass for over 3 days. I pop them and right before the show, I'll put some superglue on it, it'll harden all over the blister and I'll forget it was even there.
if your playing style does damage it is the wrong style. theres blood on my acoustic guitar and I will admit that was a great show, but I will also say I employed bad technique.

When i was learning slap i got blisters the first day, I drained them with a guitar string by poking a small hole in them, playe pick style for a few days, then played finger style with bandaged fingers, then eventually played slap and pop with better technique and now I don't get blisters, its awesome!

when you go to pop you are probably hooking your fingers with to much force, it does take that much pressure to get a good pop.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Seri0usJ0ker
I agree with 36mikeyb36.

I have been playing for years, in front of big crowds and I am a huge funk player. I slap and pop and STILL get blisters. There's no "wrong" way of doing things like a lot of people on here are saying. There's your way, and if it sounds good, do it. I get blisters even after years of playing, if I don't play bass for over 3 days. I pop them and right before the show, I'll put some superglue on it, it'll harden all over the blister and I'll forget it was even there.

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom