Last night i heard the piece "heart and soul" and loved the sound of it and i found sheet music for it and i wanted to make a fingerstylr arrangement for it on guitar. I found a tab instead because im lazy lol, but anyways i liked it and I was wondering if i could modulate the piece and continue it and add my own stuff to it.

So the Chord progression of the song is
I vi IV V in C major and i think what i did is i took the secondary dominant of G (V/V) and got D major. and instead of going back to G, i just started the Chord progression in D major so it goes

Cmaj Amin Fmaj Gmaj-- Dmaj Bmin Gmaj Amaj

what have done? im confusing myself lol, did change key from C major to D major? if so what kind of key change is that?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
you transposed it to another key
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
If I was analyzing this, I would say the first half is in C major, and the second half is in D major, and you use the G major (the 4th chord) as a pivot chord to modulate between the two.

G is the V in C major, but it's also the IV in D major, so you G -> D is IV->I in your new key. The IV->I resolution isn't that strong, so the transition might feel a little weird.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^thank you thats the answer i was looking for. Personally i think it sounds pretty nice haha
o wait ur usin the first and 2nd part ok yea u changed key to D by using the g but it might b better to end the entire thing on V to I to give it a perfect authentic cadence which will give it strong resolution
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
What you could always do, for further modulation, is on the final V, go V -> VI and start writing in the minor key, which would be a more notable change. Dunno if it would sound good but it's worth a try. Then try see if you can modulate back into C and repeat the original chords.

You might also want to make a few of those V chords V7. . Glad to see you're still working on the modulation man.
lol kyrl, yeah i read in my theory book that modulation could be done by using secondary dominants and instead of going back to the chord thats "in key" you just continue in the secondary dominant's key, the problem is i could never find an instance where that sounded good at all.