I have a gig in about 2 weeks at which I have to play Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue.

The thing is, I have Les Paul, and it's impossible to do the whammy trick and make my guitar sound like a motorcycle/engine. Anyone who's heard the song knows what I'm talking about.

I thought I would be able to do it with just a bend, but in D standard, it's hard to find notes to use and get the same sound. (C, G, and D)

Anyone have ideas? I could borrow my friend's Axl guitar, but it would be a lot of trouble. If I could find a way to do it with my LP it would be best.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
tune the low string down and use the tuner like a wammy bar almost but that would take a good ear
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I dont know what exactly you have to do to play it, but if you only need one hand to play it you could use the other one to push on the headstock to bend the neck. It gives the same effect as a whammy bar does.
You're not really going to be able to do it without a trem, best thing to do is just omit it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the only alternative i can think of is the digitech whammy or that boss super... shifter? ot whatever its called, that does a similar thing...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
whammy pedal, or the tuner pegs. but using the tuner would be risky. i think maybe just omit it. or make the noise with your mouth.
Buy a motorbike, it costs a lot but you will get credit for it

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

and thats helpful how? [/hypocritically uselessly criticising]
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
You could raise the pitch of the noises, and use a slide to do it in D standard maybe. I think ive done it a couple times.
I wouldn't use the tuners - you'll go out of tune. Bend the string behind the nut (i.e. press your finger down on the very tight length of string between the nut and the tuner's capstan), bend with your headstock or use a slide.
Seriously just had an idea..
Tune your guitar top E to something low (C maybe?)
and use a slide?

but a downside to that is that you might need to tune up very very quickly to play the song

E-Married to Funny_Page
I thought about just doing some pinch harmonics instead. Some really low ones.

I dunno, I've tried using my wah, and I've tried pressing on the string above the headstock, but nothing does it quite right.

I might just have to borrow a guitar with a floyd.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by 36mikeyb36
I would just use the tuners.

That is a terrible idea. The best way to fake it is probably to detune a step, and being the strings behind the nut. But that will still sound like ****. If you want to do that effect, go buy a guitar with a vibrato arm.

PS It's not tremolo, that is a fluctuation in volume, we are talking about pitch here!
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
That is a terrible idea. The best way to fake it is probably to detune a step, and being the strings behind the nut. But that will still sound like ****. If you want to do that effect, go buy a guitar with a vibrato arm.

PS It's not tremolo, that is a fluctuation in volume, we are talking about pitch here!

Umm....yes it is?

As far as I know, the best way to do pitch bending is with a Tremolo bar(i.e. Floyd Rose).

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Vibrato is the true name for a whammy bar, (whatever you want to call it)

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'd just start the song with a feedback howl
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Chrisiphone
Vibrato is the true name for a whammy bar, (whatever you want to call it)

Ahh, I see.

I apologize to handlerb then.

When you said vibrato it reminded me of my Vibro Champ, and that's not the effect I'm looking for.

Plus, hearing whammy bars called tremolo bars for so long led me to believe that tremolo was the effect they produce, not vibrato.

But I understand now.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by Chrisiphone

dang, beaten to it. +1

seriously, though, what steven seagull says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dudetheman
Umm....yes it is?

As far as I know, the best way to do pitch bending is with a Tremolo bar(i.e. Floyd Rose).

Umm....no it's not?

A tremolo bar is incorrectly named, regardless of what the morons at Floyd Rose have to say on the subject.
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
Quote by handlerb
Umm....no it's not?

A tremolo bar is incorrectly named, regardless of what the morons at Floyd Rose have to say on the subject.

I apologized in my last post!

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
yeah, I just erased it. Felt like an asshole... my bad bud!
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
Quote by handlerb
yeah, I just erased it. Felt like an asshole... my bad bud!

'tis all good. I was in the wrong anyways!

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
In practical terms, without a whammy, no, you're not doing it. You either need a pedal to replace it, omit it in the song, or replace it in the song, maybe a pickslide or something.
just do a slide ala kirk hammett in fuel

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MB_G_0fKV5M
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Hey mate!
Just tried a behind the nut bend on my les paul and ive come up with something close to a motorbike sound
Turn your gain to 10 (use your amp setting for the song) - Treble p/up, full tone, full volume
Tune your guitar to drop D and scrape your pick along the g and d string where the pickups are very quickly to try and mimic a starter motor
The as the engine 'fires' into life, alternate pick and fret mute the (now) detuned D string
Whilst your picking and muting play frets 3,4 and 5 quickly in that pattern (3-4-5-3-4-5-3-4-5 on the D string)
The pick the D string open with mutes then use your index finger on your left hand (I presume your right handed) and press it down a little way, then use your middle finger on your right hand to tap the 5th fret on the D string
Everytime you press behind the nut remember to increase the pitch every time you do it, to mimic a revving engine.

Hope it helps

E-Married to Funny_Page
Either bend the string behind the nut (it works well on Teles but not so much effective on Les Pauls) or in my case, I push down the top half of the neck/headstock with my fretting hand and push the body with my playing, resulting in a semi dive-like sound. Careful you don't force it too much or the headstock might break off.
I find its very easy to create motor engine sounds with a slide, if you don't have one you could also use a beer glass for extra mojo points.
He has 2 weeks, and I presume a few buck. Why not just buy a whammy pedal as suggested before. Seems like the most sensible option.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Record the sound off the original recording and play it into the microphone.

Or record it onto your phone, and hold your phone up to your pickups. They'll amplify the sound and play it through your amp.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.