I just recently purchased a used Squier Fat Strat for a cheap price and started taking lessons. As you can probably guess, I'm not happy with the sound from the guitar. Lots and lots of humming. I've decided to give the guitar to my nephew and purchase something a little bit more useful. I'm looking for something in the $300 range and plan to play a lot of metal, jazz, and funk. Can you guys make any recommendations? I try to stay away from fenders because I don't really like the look of them. I prefer the heavier looks of the Gibson SG and that ilk.

PS - I understand $300 is sort of low range and am fully prepared to replace the pickups if I have to. I also have a set of Ernie Ball Extra Slinky strings laying in wait for the new instrument.
a les paul sounds like a standard way to go. built for jazz, great for metal, and overall good for anything else youd imagine.

EDIT: didnt see the 300 at first. Epiphone les paul then.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
i second a les paul. maybe a low model agile? or if u can get a used epi.

i would look into that humming tho...it sounds like ur amp.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
epiphone g400 might be worth looking into or maybe a washburn pro i know you can get them with good pickups for £200 over here i think they have seymour duncans in
I would go for an Epiphone G-400 in your situation. You seem to like the looks, and they play very well. If you want, you can always drop in a set of SD pickups and it'll be an amazing guitar. (the pickup swap is totally optional, it will still be great without switching them)
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i second a les paul. maybe a low model agile? or if u can get a used epi.

i would look into that humming tho...it sounds like ur amp.

I'm with you on the les paul.. but the humming is most likely the strat. Because mine does the exact same thing.. and it isnt the amp.
Quote by buddhasmash
I just recently purchased a used Squier Fat Strat for a cheap price and started taking lessons. As you can probably guess, I'm not happy with the sound from the guitar. Lots and lots of humming. I've decided to give the guitar to my nephew and purchase something a little bit more useful. I'm looking for something in the $300 range and plan to play a lot of metal, jazz, and funk. Can you guys make any recommendations? I try to stay away from fenders because I don't really like the look of them. I prefer the heavier looks of the Gibson SG and that ilk.

PS - I understand $300 is sort of low range and am fully prepared to replace the pickups if I have to. I also have a set of Ernie Ball Extra Slinky strings laying in wait for the new instrument.

Hmm, I would say that actually a Stratocaster-type guitar would be really well-suited to what you want. Positions 2 and 4 on the switchblade give you humbucking, and the other three positions are obviously single coil (on a SSS Strat). Squire's are just crap, unfortunately. I would say a Les Paul would have been well-suited to you if you hadn't have mentioned funk. The Les Paul is, at heart, a jazz guitar. So it's great for jazz, and obviously loads of guitarsts use it for rock and metal etc. However humbuckers = PHAIL for funk. You need singe-coils, really. To get that really spanky funk sound.

So yeah, I would recommend a Stratocastor of some sort/some derivative. In your price range, I would go for a hardtail equipped one. None of the tremolos on the guitars in that price range are any good whatsoever, and will just give you headaches.
Quote by Martin Scott
Hmm, I would say that actually a Stratocaster-type guitar would be really well-suited to what you want. Positions 2 and 4 on the switchblade give you humbucking, and the other three positions are obviously single coil (on a SSS Strat). Squire's are just crap, unfortunately. I would say a Les Paul would have been well-suited to you if you hadn't have mentioned funk. The Les Paul is, at heart, a jazz guitar. So it's great for jazz, and obviously loads of guitarsts use it for rock and metal etc. However humbuckers = PHAIL for funk. You need singe-coils, really. To get that really spanky funk sound.

So yeah, I would recommend a Stratocastor of some sort/some derivative. In your price range, I would go for a hardtail equipped one. None of the tremolos on the guitars in that price range are any good whatsoever, and will just give you headaches.

Could you possibly recommend a guitar with a look similar to the SG, but with a pickup template similar to the Strat?
Quote by buddhasmash
Could you possibly recommend a guitar with a look similar to the SG, but with a pickup template similar to the Strat?

you could always drop some P-90s into a G-400
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sph901_phat_cat/
http://store.guitarfetish.com/dr90husip90c.html

either of those would do
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Last edited by jeffc313 at Jun 23, 2008,
maybe some kind of yamaha guitar? I've heard they're good but the price is lower. You MAY want to think about just waiting to buy a guitar. I know you don't want to but I would save up until you get $500 and then buy a Mexi Strat or something. I think upgrading to only $300 wouldn't be worth it in the long run but that's your decision.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by buddhasmash

What amp were you playing through? Squier strats aren't "bad" guitars by any stretch of the imagination, it's likely that the sound issues were an amp problem rather than guitar. If it's a look issue then fair enough get a new guitar, but f you're a beginner then you certainly don't need to be worrying about stuff like pickup swaps, its' simply not an issue.

For an SG the Epiphone G400 is as low as I'd go, but for funk you really can't do better than a strat-type. For a compromise between the two how about an Ibanez RG321?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

We really need to know what amp you have, you'll be gutted if you get your nice new guitar home only to find out it sounds just as bad!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
What amp were you playing through? Squier strats aren't "bad" guitars by any stretch of the imagination, it's likely that the sound issues were an amp problem rather than guitar. If it's a look issue then fair enough get a new guitar, but f you're a beginner then you certainly don't need to be worrying about stuff like pickup swaps, its' simply not an issue.

For an SG the Epiphone G400 is as low as I'd go, but for funk you really can't do better than a strat-type. For a compromise between the two how about an Ibanez RG321?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

We really need to know what amp you have, you'll be gutted if you get your nice new guitar home only to find out it sounds just as bad!

My amp is a Squier Champ 15 watt.

Basically, though, what I've decided to do is just buckle down and buy the Fender Standard Stratocaster. I can get used to the look, and everyone I've spoken to so far seems to agree that for the range of styles I wish to play, it's the best choice. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent amp in the 30 to 40 watt range that would go well with a strat and is versatile enough to play metal, jazz, and funk?
To be honest it looks like the amp was the culprit.

There's no need to get a strat if you don't really like them, there's dozens of guitar companies out there - but the strat is one of the most versatile guitars around and probably the best for funky stuff.

As far as the amp goes, with you being a beginner then I reckon the Vox AD30VT will be perfect for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com