Hi;

I just started playing guitar. Right now i have a crappy guitar from a friend, which i have to tune every 10 minutes and an amp which is overstrained with more than 2 tones.
Now, i am thinking of buying new gear/guitar. I mean something more expensive, which i could use for a life-time.

I know there are a lot of people, who are angry with guys like me but i please don't flame me, I just want to know if it's worth buying more expensive gear/guitar as a beginner.
The point that I once want to stop playing guitar is already in my mind.

i wouldnt say "expensive". usable gear is a must or else u will loose interest. dont go too crazy just in case u end up not sticking with it, but i would get something better.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Go for it. Bad guitar will more likely turn you away from playing, and you can always sell your equipment if you quit.
I would say that, if you mean to be serious about playing guitar, then definitely buy a decent bit of kit to start out with, even if you can only currently play a few chords or whatever. My reasoning behind this is that a good guitar is better to play, will inspire you to play more than a crap one will. More importantly though, is that if you're serious about learning the guitar, and making it a life-long passion, buying a crap one is basically wasting money, because you'll only upgrade sooner or later, anyway. OK buying a good one costs you more, but then you'd have only bought a good one down the line anyway, why not just buy that to begin with? You save money, if you think about it.
I have a different opinion. Start out small for maybe 6 months. bad stuff, or maybe better beginner. After 6 months, if you still enjoy playing guitar, go for the good stuff. Not only will you be sure that you enjoy playing guitar, but you will appreciate the much better gear.

Cheers !

EDIT: after a re-read, at least make sure your gear works! a peavey beginner is a good investment, my friend has had his since the beginning and still likes it.
im gettin an esp ltd ec50 for 200 bucks on musicians freind http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0
its beautiful and nice ratings, not too expensive either, ive been playin for about 2 or 3 or 4 years and have a squier acoustic and squier telecoustic and this will be my first electric so i recomend it to anyone and you too.
Quote by The Black Man
Hi;

I just started playing guitar. Right now i have a crappy guitar from a friend, which i have to tune every 10 minutes and an amp which is overstrained with more than 2 tones.
Now, i am thinking of buying new gear/guitar. I mean something more expensive, which i could use for a life-time.

I know there are a lot of people, who are angry with guys like me but i please don't flame me, I just want to know if it's worth buying more expensive gear/guitar as a beginner.
The point that I once want to stop playing guitar is already in my mind.

If you are gonna quit, dont. But if you are gonna enjoy it for life, go ahead and get the best quality guitar you can afford. The people here that dont like your type are jealous players who are beginners and cant afford a better guitar, or advanced players who have a worst guitar than you.
Quote by nyandres
If you are gonna quit, dont. But if you are gonna enjoy it for life, go ahead and get the best quality guitar you can afford. The people here that dont like your type are jealous players who are beginners and cant afford a better guitar, or advanced players who have a worst guitar than you.

Please, do get over yourself. If you want your opinion to be noticed, put some sincerity into it. We're not jealous of him, because he asked!

And to supersexy, be careful... i'd try out that guitar at a local stor before ordering...
Quote by restless_thrash
I have a different opinion. Start out small for maybe 6 months. bad stuff, or maybe better beginner. After 6 months, if you still enjoy playing guitar, go for the good stuff. Not only will you be sure that you enjoy playing guitar, but you will appreciate the much better gear.

I didn't mean going out and spending loads on a high-end instrument. Merely that why not spend a few hundred on a decent Korean-made copy of some sort?
I would go with mid range equipment not top of the line.

For example: a Mexican Strat or an Epiphone Les Paul.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
or Schecter Omen. The pups sucks, but it's an incredibly comfortable guitar to play, at least the 7-string is.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Don't get an expensive new guitar when you're a beginner. If you want something expensive, go used so you don't take a huge hit when you decide you want something different in six months time. I guarantee what you want now from a guitar won't be what you want in a year.
It's hard to decide between an expensive guitar and a good budget one to start out with. I'd start with an expensive guitar because of their resale value in case you're not in it anymore and they generally sound better and more pleasant to play on. They're made with better wood and better hardware.

If you're on a budget then you'll be looking for "more bang for the buck" guitars and those will be made with cheaper cuts of wood and cheaper hardware. I've had my share of 'em along with cheap amps and effects. Also did pup swaps, neck profilings, repairs, upgrades, etc.

What's in my sig is what I got left after years of that stuff. It shouldn't be surprising why.
Heh I can sort of relate to this, I have a cheap electric ibanez starter pack and amp..it's horrible but I can't afford new gear
Quote by MrDinkleberry
I would go with mid range equipment not top of the line.

For example: a Mexican Strat or an Epiphone Les Paul.

THIS and a Roland Cube 20x Or a VOX AD15 or 30.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Obviously don't use something that doesn't work well, but don't blow your money on anything special yet, because A) beginners generally can't tell the difference between a good and bad instrument, and b) tone is so native to the fingers as well as the instrument that you wont notice much difference.
But if it's not working properly, then upgrade for sure, just temper your GAS
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
this is what i tell every begginer...mim strat hss and a cube or something that is going to give an arrangment of sound. at that level ur not gonna be able to tell what guitar is much better tone wise and with this set up u have solid instrument and amp to get u going.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
THX for the answers.
@Price
So I will buy once a good one and not twice a bad one.

Anyway, I will wait 1-2 months now and see if i still like it. I will then come back with a recommendation-thread. In the meantime I will read this forum carefully.

TBM