Page 1 of 2
I just bought a new 22 inch high def monitor today.... I also own a 19 inch high def monitor. I want to use two monitors on my computer like we do at my job. So i can run my recording program on the left one and keep other stuff on the right one. I have an hpslimline computer so i dont even know if i can do that. It only has one output for one monitor. Is there any other way i can get another monitor going? When I go to my setting on display it has where I can have two monitors but theres nowhere to hook it up. Do I have to run two video cards? how does this work? And to anyone who wants to be smart and say this isn't a gear question it's got to do with recording my music and this is the only forum I go to.
you'll probably have better success in the pit, or riffs and recordings.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
you need a video card that does support two monitors, all the newer one have, starts at 60$ i think, or you need to graphic cards, but if you want to take the second opinion you need a motherboard wich supports to cards, so i would go with the new card and as long as you dont want to play crysis with them the new 3000 series from ATI should work out well, even the cheapest model.
Quote by svelle
you need a video card that does support two monitors, all the newer one have, starts at 60$ i think, or you need to graphic cards, but if you want to take the second opinion you need a motherboard wich supports to cards, so i would go with the new card and as long as you dont want to play crysis with them the new 3000 series from ATI should work out well, even the cheapest model.

well what doesn't make any sense is i looked up my graphics card and it supports two monitors.... although theres only one output on the back of my computer. So it doesnt make much sense. Can you link me to one of these that I need? Are they pci? And i dont play games on the computer so i dont need anything to fancy but i do like a high resolution. Thanks for the answer man. And last time i checked the riffs and recording deal there was hardly any activity going on there so sorry if i wanted a faster response. I plan on going and buying something today.
so wait this would mean i need a new mother board that has two outputs right? which i aint gonna do screw it if i gotta go through that much. Just thought it would be a cool idea. Might have to sell my old monitor.
i don't know much about computers... but is there not a way to just use a Y cable?
O O

___
Wouldn't a Y cable split it into the same signal though? It seems like that would make the same image pop up on both monitors. The point in having two monitors is so you can have one program in one monitor and another in the other monitor. For example... have my recording program in the left side.... have my mixer to the recording program in the right side along with my tuner. Instead of having it all bunched up in once screen.
oh, yes, i see...

well, is there some kind of box, like a converter... of some sort???

(i'm just trying to think of stuff)
O O

___
I googled it and saw a review of one but i have no idea where to get it. Really I didn't even need a new monitor its just this one looked so bad ass and i had no bills to pay this week. i figured id buy it. lol
haha... nice!

Did you find what you were looking for, though? I mean, you've got the answer now, right... just don't know where to get it.
O O

___
Well aparently they do make such a thing. I just don't know where to get it. It really doesn't matter I mean it's not a must have thing. I just thought it would be cool since I already had a good monitor and was upgrading to an even better one. If the old one was a crappy one id just get rid of it and have this one but i figured id put them both to use but oh well.
you need a way to attach two monitors to the computer do you have an s video and a rgb plug IOW two video outputs
if not go get a new video card cuz yours is old as ****/ cheap as ****
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
yes i have s video... and mine is not old... a few months old. My computer was 800 bucks. i got a 5200 dual core processor 3 gigs of ram.... so the computer is fine.
i got an s video but how do i convert that into going into a monitor? my monitors dont have s video
Quote by solidsnake15
Well aparently they do make such a thing. I just don't know where to get it. It really doesn't matter I mean it's not a must have thing. I just thought it would be cool since I already had a good monitor and was upgrading to an even better one. If the old one was a crappy one id just get rid of it and have this one but i figured id put them both to use but oh well.

eBay?
O O

___
I'd try radio shack first to look for an adapter then maybe a computer store. what inputs type does the monitor have
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by solidsnake15
yes i have s video... and mine is not old... a few months old. My computer was 800 bucks. i got a 5200 dual core processor 3 gigs of ram.... so the computer is fine.

thats a marshall jcm900 combo right there
I just traded my ibanez RG and practice amp (two things i never use) for my friends roland electronic kit... hellll yes
yeah you use dual video i and vga you have to see if you gpu can support that though
Quote by solidsnake15
I just bought a new 22 inch high def monitor today.... I also own a 19 inch high def monitor. I want to use two monitors on my computer like we do at my job. So i can run my recording program on the left one and keep other stuff on the right one. I have an hpslimline computer so i dont even know if i can do that. It only has one output for one monitor. Is there any other way i can get another monitor going? When I go to my setting on display it has where I can have two monitors but theres nowhere to hook it up. Do I have to run two video cards? how does this work? And to anyone who wants to be smart and say this isn't a gear question it's got to do with recording my music and this is the only forum I go to.

R&R is for recording questions but this is about computer hardware so I think it fits best in the PIT however they can be a little iffy when it comes to reliable info at times haha

anyways, go and see if you have two outputs on your video card. Usually you'll have a blue and white output.
use the white output for the #1 monitors and then use the blue port for your #2 monitor.

you should be able to run your recording program so it displays on the first screen and keep icons and such on the right. Just try not to run too many things when recording, youll slow the PC and get latency and such.

If your video card accepts dual monitor support, you should be able to go within minutes of plugging in the second screen. Google some tutorials and such to see how to setup all this in detail.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 22, 2008,
You can get a video card with two outputs or run an avg card and a pci card simultaneously.
Wow, you guys are dead wrong. OP, the reason your 6150 only has one output is because it's GPU is attached to the motherboard. Stock video cards for the lose. Go out and get a video card that has a Dual DVI-I output. That will work for you.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Wow, you guys are dead wrong. OP, the reason your 6150 only has one output is because it's GPU is attached to the motherboard. Stock video cards for the lose. Go out and get a video card that has a Dual DVI-I output. That will work for you.

I just spent like 5 minutes reading all these posts thinking of how i was going to diss everyone for being so wrong, then you did it for me

DON'T GIVE HIM ANSWERS IF YOU HAVE NO BACK UP ON IT

listen to what flcl said, get a video card with dual dvi outputs, that's the only way you can run dual monitors the way you want em
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
I just spent like 5 minutes reading all these posts thinking of how i was going to diss everyone for being so wrong, then you did it for me

DON'T GIVE HIM ANSWERS IF YOU HAVE NO BACK UP ON IT

listen to what flcl said, get a video card with dual dvi outputs, that's the only way you can run dual monitors the way you want em

Lol, I build computers in my spare time. I am surprised there are not more technologically advanced people in GG&A...

Actually, I am not.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
well thats why I asked here because I figured someone here would know. I am now looking for one with two out puts... although I dont know how to install. Does it fit in a slot in there? Only thing I've ever really done was put in more ram in a laptop one time. I installed a cd burner one time a long time ago when cd burners first came out and my computer didn't have one. But I have never messed with the video card.
thats what i posted him, a video card with two outputs, didn't I?
Y-cables are a bust for monitors, fyi. I've seen em, and I have yet to know why they still make them.

As people have said, you have an integrated video chipset. Better solution would be to buy a new graphics card, just a cheapo one, with dual-DVI ports. You'll have to look up the model of your HP, and see if it supports AGP/PCI/PCIe, and buy the same type of video card. Since you have a slimline (tisk tisk) you'll have to live with the lid to your tower half pryed open all day, or you will have to find a low-profile card. Installing will be as easy as opening the case, inserting the vid card, tightening a screw, and downloading drivers.

The easier, but not as futureproof solution, is to buy one of those $50 boxes that go into your USB and act as a makeshift graphics card, allowing you to run the second monitor.
Quote by solidsnake15
So when I bring girls home to my apartment and I've got dual monitors they get wet and say damn you can check your myspace on one screen and be watching lord of the rings on the other.
You can get video splitter boxes to run 2 monitors, then with your graphics card set it to dual monitors, so you have an extended desktop essentially, but can have 2 applications.
I am running an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GSOC with dual monitors. I use the software that came with the card to configure the monitors. I use it in extended desktop mode.

I do this computer thing for a living (25 years worth) and I could not live without this feature now . I am using one DVI and one VGA output for my monitors. I am using RivaTuner to overclock the GPU with great results. It is named "OC"....hint .

Here is a shift+printScrn of my desktop. And yes, one monitor (the right) is smaller than my main one.....oh well.

Chris
Attachments:
Dual_Desktop_Sm.jpg
Last edited by RCShadow at Jun 24, 2008,
he said he had an s video output as well IOW this will work http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=M9267G/A along with an s-video cable
and don't call me a ****ing dumbass
-George Will

Quote by BAoxymoron
he said he had an s video output as well IOW this will work http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=M9267G/A along with an s-video cable
and don't call me a ****ing dumbass

It won't work because the scaling will be all off on the monitor. Also, the monitor will more than likely only support DVI-D, not DVI-I which that adapter uses. And no one called you a "****ing Dumbass."

I said you were wrong. I don't know where you get ****ing dumbass from that...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Sorry i can be overly defensive... as for the s video you maybe right about the DVI-D DVI-I but s-video works for my setup at church for media shout although we don't need an adapter. but i figure its better than getting a crap 2output video card.

edit: besides scaling will be off anyways... its a 22" and 19" moniter
-George Will

Quote by BAoxymoron
Sorry i can be overly defensive... as for the s video you maybe right about the DVI-D DVI-I but s-video works for my setup at church for media shout although we don't need an adapter. but i figure its better than getting a crap 2output video card.

edit: besides scaling will be off anyways... its a 22" and 19" moniter

What I ment by scaling is that the native aspect that a monitor has is different than a TV. Also, what church you go to?
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Roswell Street Baptist Church

but the second monitor won't be used for video so would it even matter that much. just a thought
-George Will

The resolution would be terribly off though. Also, most onboard cards don't allow dual monitors through Svideo and DVI.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Page 1 of 2