I have a Fender Starcaster guitar, and it keeps its tuning pretty well, i actually like it, and i've never had any problems with it... until now. Just recently, i can tune my guitar, and it will stay tuned for about 45 minutes of playing, but then all of the sudden, my G string will just go way out of tune, and i can always just turn the tuning key down a little and it always fixes it. Does anybody know why it keeps doing this?

but the weird thing is, if i play a barre chord, it will sound out of tune, but if i play something on the D, G, B, or E string, it sounds fine... it's just with chords.

and if it matters... it's past time for me to change my strings...
O O

___
maybe you didnt coil them around the tuning post well enough?
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
yea, definately change your strings, sounds like one has gone 'dead' and it having trouble retaining its tension
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
could be just the way you bar them. dont need to press too hard.
it could also be your intonation.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
if chords sound outta tune when playing chords its your intonation.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by TheBax
and if it matters... it's past time for me to change my strings...

That would be the problem
Quote by Lastin
yea, definately change your strings, sounds like one has gone 'dead' and it having trouble retaining its tension

okay... thanks.

Quote by Bostonrocks
if chords sound outta tune when playing chords its your intonation.

i know that, but i was talking about after it would go out of tune. When it's in tune, it's fine, but like i said, it just goes out... and i'm pretty sure now the quote above is right.
O O

___
@ Lastin, doesn't that mean it would loosen, because everytime mine goes out of tune, i have to tune it down a little...
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
@ Lastin, doesn't that mean it would loosen, because everytime mine goes out of tune, i have to tune it down a little...

not necessarily, dead strings are very responsive to temperature change. The temperature will determine whether there is a pitch shift up or down.

In your case, the pitch shift is up, hence you have to downtune. The increase in pitch would be due to cold temperature, as the string is cooled, the metal is stiff, making the Hz (vibrations of sound/pressure) increase (become tighter together, like waves) as they leave the string.

Warmer temperatures have the opposite effect, the metal/steel in the strings becomes softer, more maluable and has trouble retaining a constant rate of Hz as they die off slowly from a lack of tension and literally 'stretch'.
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?