Page 1 of 2
hi im been thinking whats the best pickup to play heavy power and trash metal....what do you think?
humbucking pickups

edit: I'll give you a good answer...probably some of the EMG series.
Whatever's on the Gibson Explorer, I don't know what's it's called but I like it.
I agree, EMG's, Especially the 81, or even 89, they're both for bridge. And for the neck, get 85, 60, or if u have single coils, get some EMG-S or EMG-SA
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
I've got a set of Rockfield Mafias on my Ibanez. You might like them

http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/mafia.html
There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. - A.J
------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slashs_#1_fan to join.
emg 81s...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
EMG's. are dimarzio good for metal too?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by dudester410
I agree, EMG's, Especially the 81, or even 89, they're both for bridge. And for the neck, get 85, 60, or if u have single coils, get some EMG-S or EMG-SA

89 is the same as the 85.
The only difference is the 89 can be coil tapped.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Dimarzio's sound nicer, EMGs are very muddy and not very dynamic
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
What kind of amp are you playing though, what's your budget and what kind of guitar will they be going in?

Oh, and so I can fit in

GET EMGS IVE NEVER EVEN USED THEM BUT ZAKK WYLDE SAYS THEYRE BR00TALZ LOLOLOLOL
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
my budget is 350 dollars is for a dean dime o flame(ml)......i thanks for replie so quickly i almost forget i have a meteoro 200w amp is some brazilian company but it sounds better than a marshall of 100w
Last edited by diego alejandro at Jun 22, 2008,
I love my 81/85 set. It sounds great and despite what some people say, the cleans are good too. There's a distinct difference in my PRS (passive pups) and my Schecter. I can't speak for Dimarzios b/c I've never played them, but I generally prefer active pups b/c it makes pinch harmonics easier.
Quote by diego alejandro
my budget is 350 dollars is for a dean dime o flame(ml)......i thanks for replie so quickly i almost forget i have a meteoro 200w amp is some brazilian company but it sounds better than a marshall of 100w

Are we talking about a Marshall MG here? That's not much of an achievement.

Just because it says Marshall, doesn't mean it's the best, or even good; The MG series is horrible, and a poor representative of the "Marshall tone".
Quote by timi_hendrix
Oh, and so I can fit in

GET EMGS IVE NEVER EVEN USED THEM BUT ZAKK WYLDE SAYS THEYRE BR00TALZ LOLOLOLOL
You stole my line.
These go to eleven...
There is no "best" but IMO Barknuckles ftw
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
those meteoros are meant to be nice. i think sepultura use them? brazilian high gain tube amps, as far as i'm aware (could be wrong though).

there's no "best" as it's personal preference, but a bareknuckle miracle man is bound to be up there among the best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i wouldn't get actives if i were you. and BK is pricey for anyone not in Europe...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
If you're hurtin' for cash, I'd go with a Bill Lawrence L500XL ($49.99) Don't let the price fool you, I've got one of these down in my Kimaxe Custom and it screams

If you get EMG's, do the 18V mod to it. You'll never look at regular EMG's the same again.

The Rockfield are great pickups too. Although I don't have much experience with 'em, another band in my area uses one in his ESP Wayne Static guitar

If you wanna look different and get noticed, I would highly recommend Lace Engineering's Alumitone pickup. They take a totally new approach to pickup design and whatever in the hell they did, they did it right. These sound amazing through high distortion. Whenever I get the cash I'm dropping one of these in place of the damn Dimebucker in my Razorback...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
If you have the amp you say you do, the Meteoro amps are ****ing incredible. Although, I'm not familiar with one that is 200W. Only the 280W beast and the 100W.

Anywho.. get yourself a pair of EMG 81/60.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
My personal favorite is the Seymour Duncan '59 because when you pump out ass loads of gain from your amp, the tone doesn't become fizzled or muddy from high output pickups (a.k.a. EMG's).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
My personal favorite is the Seymour Duncan '59 because when you pump out ass loads of gain from your amp, the tone doesn't become fizzled or muddy from high output pickups (a.k.a. EMG's).

yeah. since your amp oozes gain, this would be a good idea. because high gain + high gain usually isn't such a good idea. lower gain pickups allow you to remain clarity and give you more of a balanced sound. active pickups usually take away a lot of character out of your tone, i wouldn't recommend actives.

the Seymour Duncan "Mutha" is probably the best heavy metal pick-up there is.

i've never even heard of that.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by Dave_Mc
those meteoros are meant to be nice. i think sepultura use them? brazilian high gain tube amps, as far as i'm aware (could be wrong though).

there's no "best" as it's personal preference, but a bareknuckle miracle man is bound to be up there among the best.

o rly? Cool. Never heard of the brand.

Quote by ugmung
i've never even heard of that.

Probly because it doesn't exist.

Oh
, and are we to understand that you don't have the guitar yet?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Probly because it doesn't exist.

Oh
, and are we to understand that you don't have the guitar yet?

sadly...
i just have it here to remind me not to spend any of the preorder price. haha.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh, I wasn't referring to your Agile fund, sir.

I'm asking the threadstarter, diego alejandro, if he even owns the Dime-O-Flame yet.

ah, ok. lol.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by Dave_Mc

yep, they actually make the Mak3000, which is the Andreas Kisser signature model. Pretty sick amps. Agreed too, I have the MM set, and it's one of my favorite pickups I've used to date. Absolutely screams.

Quote by rwalby9
If you have the amp you say you do, the Meteoro amps are ****ing incredible. Although, I'm not familiar with one that is 200W. Only the 280W beast and the 100W.

Anywho.. get yourself a pair of EMG 81/60.

agree with this too, the Mak3000 is a boosted and tweaked MHA2000, which is a hotrodded MHA900, which is an exact copy of a JCM900. Diode clipping in the gain stage and all. The 3000 is a beast, my buddy has one, and it's a very cool amp. Surprisingly versatile too, he was getting some really good mid to high gain tones out of it.

yeah, 81/60 would be a good combo. 60 can make a great clean pup. I would get the 81TW at this point though, just to have the coil split. The 89 is also one of my favorite pups in the neck too, meant to sound like an 85 in hum mode, and is actually an SA single coil when split. SA is a pretty decent clean pup. I think even gilmour used them when he was trying to quiet down his live rig. Personally, I like the 89 better than the 85 in humbucking mode even.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 23, 2008,
id have to go with SD blackouts i love mine they dont sound sterile and cold like EMGs IMO
s('-^)-b
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh, I wasn't referring to your Agile fund, sir.

I'm asking the threadstarter, diego alejandro, if he even owns the Dime-O-Flame yet.

yes i have the dime o flame....and my amp is a meteoro two reverb it sounds cool
Quote by forsaknazrael

no worries, i've only just about heard of them too. Never seen one or anything.

Quote by Erock503
yep, they actually make the Mak3000, which is the Andreas Kisser signature model. Pretty sick amps. Agreed too, I have the MM set, and it's one of my favorite pickups I've used to date. Absolutely screams.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
active pickups usually take away a lot of character out of your tone, i wouldn't recommend actives.

Heed those words
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Gibson 500T, DiMarzio Super Distortion, or Seymour Duncan SH-6.

I really don't like active pickups, even for metal. To me there's something more raw in the regular ones...... or maybe I'm just ****ing crazy.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Page 1 of 2