What do you guys use to get an amazing finish on your guitars? I was looking at home depot and they had lacquer and I know that is the way to go (using lacquer that is), but they say stringed instrument lacquer is better. Is this true, or will I be fine with normal lacquer? The wood is maple (for the neck) and alder for the wings on my build (neck thru). I know about sanding and all that other junk, All I am wondering is if normal lacquer does the job just as well as string instrument lacquer.
normal laquer will work fine. stringed instrument laquer is just meant to try and get u to spend more money than u need to.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
yeah, but if you're thinking of a mirrored finish you can see yourself in, that's the wrong way to go. Yeah do the spray laquer or enamel on , lightly, wetsanding lightly with wet 600 grit in between coats. do about 7-10 coats light. then buy a buffing compound, i just use turtle wax buffing compound, apply it with a wet sponge, then buff like a mofo until either you arm falls off or it has a mirrored finish. it should turn out nice
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
yeah, but if you're thinking of a mirrored finish you can see yourself in, that's the wrong way to go. Yeah do the spray laquer or enamel on , lightly, wetsanding lightly with wet 600 grit in between coats. do about 7-10 coats light. then buy a buffing compound, i just use turtle wax buffing compound, apply it with a wet sponge, then buff like a mofo until either you arm falls off or it has a mirrored finish or both. it should turn out nice

^fixed
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^fixed

how true. my last painting job, i didn't even buff to a mirrored, just smooth, it built up my masturbation muscle.

I'm talking more like a pit monkey every day
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...