I've been "playing" guitar for about 3 years, but only really started last august. I've gotten good and can play most songs, but bar chords give me problems. I know how to play all of them, but I don't know where to play them. Does anyone know a good way to memorize the notes and (example) just like point to the 9th fret on the D string and know the note?

I know the notes and that the 5th fret is the next note (except for one string) and BC and EF are half steps.
Look up a program called "Fretboard Warrior." It's what I used.

Also do a google search for "fretboard map" or something like that. There's a ton of pictures on various websites with all the notes mapped out.

Study that intently for a few minutes every day and after a week or so you should be doing great.
1 - learn the open strings...E, A, D, G, B, E
2 - familiarise yourself with the pattern of notes along the low E string, you don't even need to learn it by heart yet, just have it for reference.

E F F# G G# A Bb B C D Eb

3 - realise that the 12 fret is the octave of the open string, and therefore the same note.
4 - realise that the pattern of intervals is constant, so 12 th fret onwards is identical to open string onwards.

... as far as working out notes goes you are currently never more than 6 frets away from a reference note. However, counting along 6 frets is kind of clunky and not particularly easy, but it's a start.

5 - learn the notes that correspond to the next open string, so 5th fret on the E, A, D and B strings, 4th fret on the G

...all of a sudden you're never more than 3 frets way from a known reference note. All of a sudden working out the notes you don't know became a lot easier...almost twice as easy, in fact.

6 - locate the other octaves of the open notes, first the ones on the next string... 7th fret on the A, D, G and high E strings, 8th fret on the B string. Then the octaves two strings away so 2nd fret on the D and G strings, 3rd fret on the B and top E.

7 - in the same way, locate the octaves of the notes you learned in step 5

...all of a sudden you're now never more than 1 fret away from a known reference note, which basically means you know them all!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a fretboard map and tried that already. I figured out where the notes on the e strings are, but i don't know which is what still.
Quote by 08L1V10N
This map is good I think.

Thanks for that. Iv decided its about time I start to learn a little bit of theory.

I was just wondering, what are the notes circle on that map, and why are they circled?
Quote by Shaunt91
Thanks for that. Iv decided its about time I start to learn a little bit of theory.

I was just wondering, what are the notes circle on that map, and why are they circled?

They aren't circling the notes they are indicating the fret markers on the fret board. If you look on your fretboard you will notice the "dots" or inlays or whatever are at the same frets as on the diagram.

These fret markers are key in understanding and navigating your fretboard.

My suggestions for learning the notes of the fretboard: Start with open strings, the fifth fret (which should have a dot), and the seventh fret (which should have a dot). I would suggest as a good starting point.

Repitition is the only way there is no other easier way. You just gotta keep plugging away and asking yourself "what is this note".

Spend a five minutes everytime you pick up the guitar finding one note say E cause it's pretty easy, on each string of the guitar. Do this for a week then the following week try A etc. You will start to notice patterns emerge.

Also when you are playing stop and ask yourself what notes am I playing now in this chord or lick. Take the time to work it out it will help you.
Quote by 20Tigers
They aren't circling the notes they are indicating the fret markers on the fret board. If you look on your fretboard you will notice the "dots" or inlays or whatever are at the same frets as on the diagram.

oh , cant believe I didnt notice that lol. Thanks