I just sold my Marshall MG half stack for 450. I bought for about 550 and I was wondering if GOOD amps value increases over time. Im getting a 5150 III soon and I was wondering if in 20-30 years what will happen in value.
An EVH? I wouldn't count on it, unless it goes out of production.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Probably won't go up at all.

The only thing that would go up in value would be a vintage amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
maybe in 50 years if it becomes famous for something or really rare, boutique amps may go up once they are out of production.

Quote by hamish5178
Probably won't go up at all.

The only thing that would go up in value would be a vintage amp.

In 20-30 years the 5150 will be a vintage amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
On the other hand, good amps don't lose a whole lot of their value, after the initial drop. IMO you're a pretty lucky fellow to sell the mg for 450, but you wouldn't have to be so lucky to sell a decent amp without a huge amount of loss, probably none if you buy used in the first place.
I am wondering the same thing about my 5150 Block Letter Head who nows what stuff will be worth in 20 years?
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Eh, the vast majority of amps are like cars, they lose value the minute you "take them off the lot."

Now, if you happen to get an amp that becomes highly sought after, once it's out of production it's value will start going up.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I would say if you had a famous artists actual amp used on tour yes. Otherwise few amps increase in value over their initial selling price.
just wondering but what about a standard jcm 900 100 watt 4100 model head from the 90's?
they don't have very good value right now, but what about in the future?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
just wondering but what about a standard jcm 900 100 watt 4100 model head from the 90's?
they don't have very good value right now, but what about in the future?

It's possible. It probably depends on what happens in mainstream music thought. Even though you might deny it, it has a lot to do with amp sales. If, say, a band like KSE started using and endorsing JCM900's, the amp sales would probably go up because people then want them, because they think, well KSE uses them, why not i?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I guess if you have the space for a couple of stack amps to sit around taking up space for 15 years or so you might be able to make a little money. Of course you would lose money storing them all that time. Music equipment is not a good investment like gold coins or stocks. They usually go down more than up. And then when you do try to sell it the other guy is going to be looking for a deal.
Vintage amps rise in value, as do boutique amps that are out of production. If you buy a boutique amp from a company which has a waiting list, many people will often pay more than the direct sale price to get ahead of the list.

Some good examples in the boutique world are Trainwreck and Dumble amps. Ken Fischer who built Trainwreck amps originally built fairly priced boutique amps, but no longer can because of his health. Alexander Dumble used to make his Overdrive Specials for a few well known guitarists back in the '80s, with some minor adjustments to each amp specific to the player, and costed about as much as a full custom amp nowadays. Whatever they cost originally, these amps now sell for much, much more.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I bought a dual rectifier full stack brand new for $3600. I traded it in a week later for a spider III 75w and the guy at the store told me that he'd give me $75 trade-in value for the dual rec. So amps depreciate in value pretty quickly (the spider ROCKS, by the way!!)
Quote by afrika18
I bought a dual rectifier full stack brand new for $3600. I traded it in a week later for a spider III 75w and the guy at the store told me that he'd give me $75 trade-in value for the dual rec. So amps depreciate in value pretty quickly (the spider ROCKS, by the way!!)

Sure you did...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by afrika18

No its ok you're joking...........

You are aren't you??
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by afrika18

Impressive... Subtle trolling, something you rarely see here. I may have been fooled for a second if I hadn't seen you previous spider-related trolling attempts.
Quote by afrika18

can i report you for... whatever you just did?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
can i report you for... whatever you just did?

Sure, trolls have no feelings...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
ha, in that case it's too much effort...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I have a friend that has bought about 8 blackface bandmasters in the last 2 years. All under $500, he just fixes any minor issues and hordes them. Only going to increase in value as time goes by.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I have a friend that has bought about 8 blackface bandmasters in the last 2 years. All under $500, he just fixes any minor issues and hordes them. Only going to increase in value as time goes by.

truth. If you want investment amps, vintage Fenders are where it's at.