Anyway, I picked up one of my dad's basses last week and i'm really starting to like the thing.

I worked for about a week on finger picking and playing these 3 songs:

RATM: Bullet in the head

Rancid: Journey to the End of the East Bay, Ruby soho, time bomb

so far i can pretty much play those three songs all the way through some parts may get a bit sloppy though just cause i'm not that good at finger picking yet ^^.

So, i've been wondering if theory is gonna be really important to learn for the bass this early, or should i just keep practicing technique for now? I could also try and get my dad to teach me how to play, he's been playing the damn thing for near ... 23 years or so, so disregarding his severe teaching disability it should prove somewhat helpful eh?

also: i played guitar for 7-8 months before this ... i just never really liked it much so gave it up.

Thoughts?

in b4 noob go back2guitar
i didnt start learning my theory till after about 8 months, should matbe have started a bit earlier but its done me no harm, learn scales at the mo i spose
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Sounds like your dad is a great resource. Is he really knowledgable about the fine points of theory, or does he just play at as he feels it? Spending time on theory never hurt anyone at any level of playing, I mean really even knowing your notes and basic scales counts as theory, and most beginners do that. If your dad is pretty knowledgable about the theory end, I'd ask him to educate you about that as you go. If not so much, then learn what he knows about it for at least a few months, and then branch out to some books or online lessons.

Have fun, I'm just now doing the opposite and learning to pick properly on my guitars, since I've always been a finger-player on bass, I've mutilated any usual picking technique on the six string cousin. It never hurts to add more to your musical knowledge base and experience.
I think for right now, you should just learn the notes on the fretboard and major, minor, and blues scales. That should be all you need for a little while, and then later you can start pickin up some more theory.
It can be a hard thing to balance, learning theory versus developing technique. If you can balance the two by spending equal amounts of time on them, then go for it. I spent my first year -- playing guitar, that is -- on technique, and now I'm STRIVING to get in-depth into theory, even though I'm still struggling to memorize the notes across the fretboard. Lol.

As far as theory goes, for now, I would recommend learning the Major/Ionian and Minor/Aeolian modes (erm, scales) and memorizing the notes across the fretboard, while keeping with developing technique. Both are massively helpful.
Use theory from the beginning. I can guarentee most people who try to learn theory after a while of playing will regret not starting sooner.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Use theory from the beginning. I can guarentee most people who try to learn theory after a while of playing will regret not starting sooner.

This is true, I really regret not learning thoery from the start, I know Id bea lot better a player now if I had, fact!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Thegian

in b4 noob go back2guitar

ha this is the bass forum you dont have to worry about that..
go ba... oh yeah we're civilised here

1 that's 4 songs not 3
2 it never too early to learn theory
3 practice makes perfect
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.