There was an 18 inch cab (I didn't see the brand) at a local pawn shop today. IT WAS HUUUGGGEEE. From afar I thought it was a 4x10 til I looked into the grill, and bam! One ginormous speaker. However, I did not play it... Do these things really sound bad or something? Why aren't they common? I see Carvin, Ampeg, and other big brands make them, just not commonly. What are the pro's n cons of them?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
They are basically subwoofers, for on the bottom of a 4x10 or 2x12. They aren't as common as 15s because they are too bassy to be in a combo (a lot of 15s are too), they're bulky, and cost more to make than 15s, when the response isn't THAT much better.
Basically they have HUGE bass.
Like it is your subs cab, all of the lows.
Usually paried with a 2x10 or 4x10 because it doesn't stand too well on its own (IMO)
1x15s are usually good enough and give adequate frequency response.
I'd believe it would take a lot more power to well, power an 18'' cab.
To my knowledge, there is one compnay that a 21'' cabinet.

Love the Low end
Extreme low end. It's good for five strings, and I've heard it's the only kind of cab that produce that infamous low F# with any kind of fidelity. It's probably doesn't have any treble whatsoever, so you'd have to pair it with a 4x10 or something to make it usable.

They aren't popular mostly just because they aren't very practical, really. A 15 incher can produce low enough sounds for most bassists, so there isn't much market for an 18.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Extreme low end. It's good for five strings, and I've heard it's the only kind of cab that produce that infamous low F# with any kind of fidelity. It's probably doesn't have any treble whatsoever, so you'd have to pair it with a 4x10 or something to make it usable.

They aren't popular mostly just because they aren't very practical, really. A 15 incher can produce low enough sounds for most bassists, so there isn't much market for an 18.

Nope. You need Accugroove's El Whappo Grande to do that.
The way bass amplification is going (i.e. smaller and lighter), 18's are the polar opposite of that. Back in the day, speaker cabs and the speakers' frequency responses were just brutal (read: Ampeg 810) and an 18 could cover what the other speakers couldn't. Now though, many cabinets can cover 18 territory (hypothetically). Like anything else, though, the 18's have their own voice, as well as a massive frequency response.

I'd love an 18 and foolishly got a 15 because I was impatient. I think 18s are great, but only in two-cab stacks, which goes against many modern bass cabinet philosophies.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
When I play live we use a mackie 18" sub. It adds some extra low end to my bass but it really shines when we run the kick drum through it. It hits so hard it could stop your heart haha.
Quote by thefitz
The way bass amplification is going (i.e. smaller and lighter), 18's are the polar opposite of that. Back in the day, speaker cabs and the speakers' frequency responses were just brutal (read: Ampeg 810) and an 18 could cover what the other speakers couldn't. Now though, many cabinets can cover 18 territory (hypothetically). Like anything else, though, the 18's have their own voice, as well as a massive frequency response.

I'd love an 18 and foolishly got a 15 because I was impatient. I think 18s are great, but only in two-cab stacks, which goes against many modern bass cabinet philosophies.

I just got a Carvin 18 for 100 dollars from this crazy 80s metal guy. The 18 really doesn't do much for your sound until you get out to about 20 feet away from the amp, and then you can REALLY tell that the 18 is there pushing your lows into a new galaxy.
I've got the Carvin BR-118, and oh my God... *drools* It litterally redefined the way I play my 5-string. Until then all I had was my Basic-112 which (obviously) only has one 12" speaker, so it couldn't push my B-string at all, I added on the 18" and now I get an amazing lowend response, coupled with the high-mids from my 12" and I get bass galore.

I just don't have a head to push the cab to it's maximum perforamce, but when I do, there will be some babies born.

Mine doesn't have a tweeter, but they pretty much figure if you're getting an 18" you have another spearker tagged with it. I plan on getting 2x10's to set on top of it, and getting a 600 watt head, but lack of big gigs, and lack of money has stopped that pretty much cold. Plus playing an upright through one of those get's an amazing bounce to the low end that you usually only get in the mids section.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna get a Carvin 15" speaker for my existing 15" cab just to make sure it handles my new SM-900. Just wished I got an 18 when I had the chance - a blem Carvin for $190. Christ, it STILL would have been cheaper than my crappy Peavey shipped.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
At youth group we use a GK RB400 head, an SWR 2x10 cab, and one of those humongous Yamaha 1x18 cabs. It roars. I love it.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Hmm I think I might invest in one... The Carvin seems like the best bet! :P
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by FbSa
Carvin's Quality is amazing! Peavey and them both are excellent quality.

Heck yeah, Peavey bass amps own for the price.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden