I'm getting my first electric guitar and I'm not if I should get the Dean MLX or the Les paul Special II

I'm looking for a rock metal guitar tone and general goodness

Any recomendations?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26044397

Way better guitar and only a hundred bucks more. That way, you won't need to replace the guitar in 5 months.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
if you're getting the dean its mainly for realy heavy metal doesnt sound good with cleans, im not sure about the les paul but epiphone isn't that great. I have one of those deans you're talking about yet i rarely play it, when i did it handled tons of distortion quite well. and how much do you plan on spending and what typ of amp do you have?
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
teh les paul ll is a decent guitar i have played one of my friends the sounds ok i would go with that but i would check into what kind of amp you are going to use because that will make the most difference in your sound
I have my cousins simple amp ibanez and no effects

and does the dean MLX handle any clean tones?

And my price range around 150-250
Last edited by dizzykiwi at Jun 22, 2008,
I reckon you should get the Dean. Great distortions, listen to Pantera, Dime used Deans. Also I think Les-Paul styles guitars are harder to play because of the way the archtop gets in the way of my picking, especially when doing pinch harmonics. Deans will also be higher quality.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

But Deans have **** distortion. Get a pedal, Bosses (is that right?) are good.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
But Deans have **** distortion. Get a pedal, Bosses (is that right?) are good.

Guitars don't have 'distortion'. That comes from amps and pedals.

Quote by m4l666
I reckon you should get the Dean. Great distortions, listen to Pantera, Dime used Deans. Also I think Les-Paul styles guitars are harder to play because of the way the archtop gets in the way of my picking, especially when doing pinch harmonics. Deans will also be higher quality.

1.The Les Paul Special II is a flat top.
2.This is not the same caliber guitar that Dime played nor will it ever be.
3.Dime used Washburns too.
4.How does the arch affect picking?
5.Not lower end ones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 22, 2008,
I've had my Special II for over a year. Quality guitar.

My Special II was made in 1996 and was completely stock until I had to replace the nut. The only other problem I've had with it was the pickup wiring became loose but that's an easy fix.

A Special II will sound even better with a pickup swap and proper setup.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I had a Special II for a while; it was "meh". I'd say +1 to the SG G400 suggestion. Take an extra month and save up for that.