Hello, my fellow UG-ers!

I was looking into investing in a loop station from Boss, but it's really hard to decide which one is better.

There's the twin-size RC-20XL
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC20XL-Loop-Station?sku=151352

And then there's the stomp box size RC-2
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC2-Loop-Station-Stomp-Box?sku=487040

I have yet to try these in real life, because none of the local shops have them in stock I'm just going to have to order one from Musician's friend.

I was wondering if anyone on this board had some experience with one or both of these pedals. If so, could you provide your short review/insight or comparison of these two pedals?
Both are the same really, except the RC-20XL can let you record for longer and gives more choice to mod the sound etc, well what are you using it for exactly? If for studio work, get the RC-20XL, if not then id get the RC-2 just because it's cheaper, i doubt you'd be missing anything so grand that you'd feel you'd lost out
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm buying it for live situations, more so then for studio work. The idea of one-man-band is really intriguing to me. I'm getting this for solo-bass gigs.
If you plan on EVER, EVER playing out or in front of even one person get the 20XL. In my mind the RC-2 is for practise purposes only. The 20XL adds the oh, so important second pedal, which makes it shockingly more convenient to loop tracks. I've tried both and settled on the RC-20 (the XL's younger brother). The 20 actually has less recording time than the RC-2 and I went with the 20. If you want the one man band idea, you may very well want to go with the RC-50.
Another option is the Akai Headrush E2.
It's about 2/3rd of the RC-2's price and it's got 2 pedals. It's recording time is way shorter, so you have to ask yourself if you want to loop whole songs or just some 15-25second riffs. If the later is good enough, you can go for the akai.
For a great example of the akai headrush check KT tunstall's black horse and the cherry tree.

So in short: if you don't need long loops and you want to save some cash, get the akai headrush

If you're mind is set on a Boss, I'd get the RC20 if I were you. The second pedal makes looping a lot easier.

edit: I just noticed that the Akai headrush is more expensive than the Boss RC2 in the USA, so nevermind about the "being cheaper" argument.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Last edited by sam_ofzo at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by ai4281
so the only difference is that RC-20XL has an extra pedal? I think I'll get the RC-2 cuz its smaller and cheaper

You do NOT even realize how much difference that "extra pedal" makes. It's easily twice as easy and efficient to do loops. If money is your worry you can pick up the RC-20 for about the price of an RC-2, off of eBay. It's the same as the 20XL, with less recording time.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You do NOT even realize how much difference that "extra pedal" makes. It's easily twice as easy and efficient to do loops. If money is your worry you can pick up the RC-20 for about the price of an RC-2, off of eBay. It's the same as the 20XL, with less recording time.

hmm.. I tried RC-2 at a guitar store and I thought it was pretty easy to use. Plus, I have an unlatching sustain pedal for keyboard that can be used as a 'stop pedal' on RC-2, so I think I'll still go with RC-2.
Thanks for the suggestion though.